Size:  503.5 KB

Taken in Hyde Park.
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Suzanathema)

Film's awesome too because you have to wait while it gets developed and you never know how it'll come out. I used fuji film for the first time (usually a kodak fan) and the colours came out so much brighter than I was expecting, which was really nice.

I recommend shooting film to everyone, especially with a lush camera like the Nikon F50...
I can't see how that makes film awesome.
Just a waste of time and money from the way you describe it.

I used to photograph all in film and that's what I was using when I was studying photography, but there's a reason why digital is the dominate format.
Suzanathema
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
I'm aware this is a heated subject at times so I'm not wanting to start an argument, but why?
it's more expensive, difficult to experiment and learn because by the time it comes back most people can't remember the settings they used, if the camera isn't working you don't know until you get the film back, you have to wait for the photos instead of seeing and sharing them straight away, and the vast majority of labs convert to a digital image before printing on a digital printer anyway.
I've only had one film camera in my life but I couldn't see myself ever going back.

Eh, I just don't value digital as much. I know digital is the future, and I do have a DSLR, but I don't attach the same value to an image that only exists on a screen to something that was actually created in film and I can look at in my hands.

Plus I like some of the uncertainty. I recently bought an old Zenit full manual SLR from the 1980s and not knowing if a picture is going to come out **** or not makes it more exciting, I think :p:
heavenlyphoto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
taken with canon 40d with 10-22mm.

These are some of my favs, im on my third photobucket account now lol:eek::eek:
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eh, I just don't value digital as much. I know digital is the future, and I do have a DSLR, but I don't attach the same value to an image that only exists on a screen to something that was actually created in film and I can look at in my hands.

Plus I like some of the uncertainty. I recently bought an old Zenit full manual SLR from the 1980s and not knowing if a picture is going to come out **** or not makes it more exciting, I think :p:
You realise you can print them out, yes?
Suzanathema
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
You realise you can print them out, yes?
Yeah, but what's the point?

I just finished quite a huge digital project where I would take something like 10 shots for every 1 I used and honestly, I don't find any value in the digital images when I would look at them, decide I wasn't happy, and discard them so easily. I've started to view them as disposable/repeatable.

With film every shot is valuable because film and processing costs money. You really think about each shot you set up and the entire process gets more literal and emotional worth.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely shoot digital for something important, the feedback you get instantly is valuable in a one-chance-only situation, but for just pissing around with a camera or for taking hobby/touristy shots, nothing beats film in my opinion...
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I just finished quite a huge digital project where I would take something like 10 shots for every 1 I used and honestly, I don't find any value in the digital images when I would look at them, decide I wasn't happy, and discard them so easily. I've started to view them as disposable/repeatable.

With film every shot is valuable because film and processing costs money. You really think about each shot you set up and the entire process gets more literal and emotional worth.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely shoot digital for something important, the feedback you get instantly is valuable in a one-chance-only situation, but for just pissing around with a camera or for taking hobby/touristy shots, nothing beats film in my opinion...
Fair enough. Thinking about it, we've had this discussion before and I think it had to be 'agree to disagree', because I like being able to take 10 photos and only use one. :dontknow:
Suzanathema
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Fair enough. Thinking about it, we've had this discussion before and I think it had to be 'agree to disagree', because I like being able to take 10 photos and only use one. :dontknow:
Yeah we might have done

It depends on the situation I think. Whatever makes people happy. And, although I can't deny digital is the predominant format now, and is much more convenient, I'm still happy to piss around with my crappy 80s soviet SLRs
HotPower
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's it..

an old woman is from the east anatolia.
DanBrwn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Ah thats cute, I remember when I thought that :rolleyes:
DanBrwn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HotPower)
That's it..

an old woman is from the east anatolia.
What did you take that with? A toaster? I don't even know how to describe the quality of her hand! Its like a really ****ty motion blur? Although in terms of subject matter, processing (kind'a) you have a nice shot
Suzanathema
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DanBrwn)
Ah thats cute, I remember when I thought that :rolleyes:
Y so patronising? Surely its better to learn proper photography through film than to take a poor digital shot then learn to rely on Photoshop for ridiculous colours, over the top HDRs and annoying selective desaturation?
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Y so patronising? Surely its better to learn proper photography through film than to take a poor digital shot then learn to rely on Photoshop for ridiculous colours, over the top HDRs and annoying selective desaturation?
Using film doesn't mean you learn proper photography. You can still end up taking 100's of useless photographs and then edit them on a computer as you please.
sweetsista
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  cropped bw geisha.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  514.4 KB These are from my recent trip to Japan. I really like the second one. What do you guys think?
sweetsista
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  fire works.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  499.6 KBName:  fire works.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  499.6 KB
KayK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  SpiderWeb.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  527.0 KB
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's much easier to learn what you're doing with digital, where you can take a photo and see what effect a change in shutterspeed/iso/aperture has had straight away. You can also spend hours experimenting with settings without any worry of cost.

I think it's a bit odd to think there are only two types of photography; "proper" film photography and then people who rely on over the top post processing. There are a lot of people who don't fit either category.
ocelotrevs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  tumblr_m0q0uk8SKu1qk4js0o1_500.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  148.7 KB

Full size

St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Bury St Edmunds.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People in the desert

Camel Back

Shop Hut

Dubai Skyline

The Tallest Building in the World

Some Esclator
Attached files
DanBrwn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
Scumbag VazzyB

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (908)
80%
Leave (227)
20%

Watched Threads