Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

Soon, my friend, soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

Soon, my friend, soon.
    Its funny because you think I care about my rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBrwn)
    Its funny because you think I care about my rep
    All you do is moan, whine, ***** and complain. If you dont like people posting, no one is making you stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    All you do is moan, whine, ***** and complain. If you dont like people posting, no one is making you stay.
    Actually I have only done that over the last 3 posts I made. So it isnt all I do at all. And in your case, its called trolling because you are so damn insecure that you have to try and make people like you or be fear you. Come to think of it I think it is actually a pity that you are like that. Stop lying and be yourself, people will like you better

Lie: "i hacked tsr so i can see all anon posters..."
    Want to make people be afraid of negging you:
    1) "Before you lose 6 points, you meant to neg me or just pressed the wrong button?"
    2) "Dont hate (neg) me. I bite (neg back)"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Y so patronising? Surely its better to learn proper photography through film than to take a poor digital shot then learn to rely on Photoshop for ridiculous colours, over the top HDRs and annoying selective desaturation?
    This isn't what I mean at all ! It is better to learn with film when you pass the initial stage of guessing exposures, but when you start to make money from photography you will learn that a digital file is leagues more valuable than a film negative. I think - maybe - that the word you were looking for is "special" and no doubt a film negative is more special than a digital file, but not more valuable

Get what I mean?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanBrwn)
    This isn't what I mean at all ! It is better to learn with film when you pass the initial stage of guessing exposures, but when you start to make money from photography you will learn that a digital file is leagues more valuable than a film negative. I think - maybe - that the word you were looking for is "special" and no doubt a film negative is more special than a digital file, but not more valuable

Get what I mean?
    For 99% of shots taken by 99% population digital is the sensible solution. I shot film SLRs from 1971 (a Minolta SR3), and digital in parallel from 2004, sold my two Minolta's Dynax 35mm SLRs and lens inventory in 2008. I still have one film camera which shoots 620 film, fixed focal length.

I have seen similar situations, such as the guy who insisted on doing all his carp fishing with split cane rods and centre pin reels and wearing tweed clothes, he used totally modern stuff up until he broke the British record and then became famous, a retro approach kept him in the headlines and his sponsors happy.

Advocating film for the majority is like advocating all computer students should learn to write 370, or Z80 assembler, its fun, and was once vital when a computer had 32K of memory or a mainframe 3 megabytes of memory but not really relevant anymore.

Learning to knap flints and using them is useful as part of a scientific investigation, but I would always go with a steel knife to do anything for real.

So for anyone out there film is not superior to digital, it is a personal choice of retro style at best. Photoshop is not an issue, just as much could be done in the darkroom, if you were any good. Using film as a justification for using the image straight of the camera, just indicates a lack of the ability and skill (and possibly vision) that used to sort the "men from the boys".

Two pros (not weekend wedding hacks) I know "shoot in photoshop", i.e. when framing and exposing the image what is in their minds eye is what the final result will be, not what the camera is going to capture.

ReputationRep:
    This one I took last summer when it rained
    Edited with gimp, just overlayed a layer
    Name:  325991_2491405408872_1364860870_2951130_14195498_o.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  168.9 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Full Size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)

Full Size
    I bet this is your cover photo on Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Comment on whichever;

Blackfriars Bridge by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

Thames Vally by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

Busking by Night by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

Speed of Thames by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

London Eye by MonsterMuffin Photography, on Flickr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I bet this is your cover photo on Facebook.
    Incorrect.

It's an emblem from a video game.

(Original post by Monstermuffin20)
    A load of pictures
    But which do you like?

If you had a long exposure length of the 2nd Blackfriars Bridge photograph, it'd look much better.

ReputationRep:
    Took both of these in Hong Kong, looked much nicer in person!! :

Name:  niceee.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  497.6 KB
    Name:  pro.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  457.9 KB

Oh and this weird looking fish:
    Name:  P1000496.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  501.4 KB
    Shocked face!
    Name:  P1000497.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  491.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect.

But which do you like?

If you had a long exposure length of the 2nd Blackfriars Bridge photograph, it'd look much better.
    That was a 30 second exposure.

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect.

Well it should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Well it should be.
    Thank you, but I have much better photographs than this that I could use for that if I chose.

ReputationRep:

University Hall Formal by Alex Sheppard, on Flickr

ReputationRep:
    Probably a selection at the moment. This is my most recent 'decent' one; I had no long exposure equipment with me so I sat my on my camera bag and used a 10sec timer, and then an 8 second exposure at f/9. I then grabbed the single speedlight I had and ran around lighting up the tree in the foreground with a total of three flashes during the exposure. I absolutely love shooting at night in this way - the level of control over how you light the frame is stunning:
    Townhill Campus, Swansea

The second is a shot over Swansea bay towards Port Talbot at about half 6 in the morning. Don't ask why I was up at that time. When I got home I went back to bed. This is a merge of three images, all processed from a single RAW file. The exposure wasn't touched, but each of the three had a different white balance to account for the different kinds of lighting throughout the shot, from the sunrise-sky, through to different kinds of street lamps.

And a shot of my ex done with my 1927 (yes, 80 years old) Thornton Pickard large format camera with a 6x9 back. Fujicolor PRO400 120 film, devved and scanned at uni.

Enjoy and feel free to comment/crit please Sorry they're a bit big, but it's all about the detail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Probably a selection at the moment. This is my most recent 'decent' one; I had no long exposure equipment with me so I sat my on my camera bag and used a 10sec timer, and then an 8 second exposure at f/9. I then grabbed the single speedlight I had and ran around lighting up the tree in the foreground with a total of three flashes during the exposure. I absolutely love shooting at night in this way - the level of control over how you light the frame is stunning:
    Townhill Campus, Swansea
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/6...4fdbf3fd_b.jpg

The second is a shot over Swansea bay towards Port Talbot at about half 6 in the morning. Don't ask why I was up at that time. When I got home I went back to bed. This is a merge of three images, all processed from a single RAW file. The exposure wasn't touched, but each of the three had a different white balance to account for the different kinds of lighting throughout the shot, from the sunrise-sky, through to different kinds of street lamps.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7186/6...298a5bc2_b.jpg

And a shot of my ex done with my 1927 (yes, 80 years old) Thornton Pickard large format camera with a 6x9 back. Fujicolor PRO400 120 film, devved and scanned at uni.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6...d6690347_b.jpg

Enjoy and feel free to comment/crit please Sorry they're a bit big, but it's all about the detail!
    The bigger the better really. I don't like the new TSR format where pictures are made super small for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)

She's your ex? Why did you break up? She looks beautiful

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.