Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/10 second
# Aperture Value (APEX) = 2970854/1000000
Aperture = F2.8
# Brightness (APEX) = 51/100
Brightness = 1.42 foot-lambert
# Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/100 = 0
# Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 300/100 = 3
Max Aperture = F2.83
# Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
# Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
# Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
# Focal Length = 570/100 mm = 5.7 mm
# Colour Space = sRGB (1)
# Image Width = 2120 pixels
# Image Height = 2816 pixels
# Focal Plane X-Resolution = 5263/1 = 5263
# Focal Plane Y-Resolution = 5263/1 = 5263
# Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit = centimeter (3)
# Image Sensing Method = one-chip color area sensor (2)
# Image Source = digital still camera (DSC)
# Scene Type = directly photographed image
# Custom Rendered = normal process (0)
# Exposure Mode = auto exposure (0)
# White Balance = manual (1)
# Scene Capture Type = standard (0)
# Sharpness = normal (0)
# Subject Distance Range = unknown (0)
Dozzer_Cufc
This is probably my favourite:

Out of interest where was that picture taken ? :smile:
xkarenlouisex
Out of interest where was that picture taken ? :smile:

You'll know soon enough :wink:
Here's mine!

Some where in China

Hong Kong IFC building

Studio shots
Reply 686
AnnyRoquentin
Believe me, I'm not saying anything has to be abstract or edgy. Maybe you've missed my point My main problem is perhaps more with peoples definitions of a 'good photograph'. Naturally, this is going to differ from person to person. But photography is an art form, and art shouldn't exist just to look pretty.

It just seems such a shame that there are so many intelligent, interesting and profound concepts behind photography which can be explored by anyone (new to photography or not), and yet they are completely ignored by most, in favour of an image which just looks aesthetically pretty.

I see where you're coming from. It would make photography as an artform a bit valueless if just pretty pictures were lauded when everyone can take a picture of something pretty they see - ok I'm sure it is pretty hard to get the technicality or lighting right but it is possible to learn this fairly quickly especially now technology is so accessible.

What is impressive is the insight as you say. I think everyone posting here would probably describe themselves as hobbyists though, so it is a bit different. I like painting sometimes, purely to enjoy myself not to exhibit or anything like that (they're utter tosh) and I don't mind showing them to friends or family but it doesn't mean much to me to hear what they say. As for the songs I compose I do try to make them interesting and other people's opinions of them are important to me with these. My point is people don't always have to make a statement with their hobbies unless they want to, I disagree with you there.

But yes in order to be art I think photos do need some sort of insight even if very abstract, though I do like simply pretty pictures as well........
Reply 687
keredwel
here's my latest!

we went to a swedish ballet
but the dancers didn't even speak

This rocks. Best photo here.
Dozzer_Cufc
You'll know soon enough :wink:

Was it Lincoln cause I live there and it looks familiar :P
Reply 689
cats_have_teats
This rocks. Best photo here.

oh! thank you so very much! :>
Reply 690
Hm im kinda happy with how this turned out straight from camera. Not really anywhere near as good as what I wanted though :frown:

http://flickr.com/photos/jsynnott/3327951389/
Reply 691
cats_have_teats
I see where you're coming from. It would make photography as an artform a bit valueless if just pretty pictures were lauded when everyone can take a picture of something pretty they see - ok I'm sure it is pretty hard to get the technicality or lighting right but it is possible to learn this fairly quickly especially now technology is so accessible.

What is impressive is the insight as you say. I think everyone posting here would probably describe themselves as hobbyists though, so it is a bit different. I like painting sometimes, purely to enjoy myself not to exhibit or anything like that (they're utter tosh) and I don't mind showing them to friends or family but it doesn't mean much to me to hear what they say. As for the songs I compose I do try to make them interesting and other people's opinions of them are important to me with these. My point is people don't always have to make a statement with their hobbies unless they want to, I disagree with you there.

But yes in order to be art I think photos do need some sort of insight even if very abstract, though I do like simply pretty pictures as well........

I agree. I think people develop something I call "the magic eye" over time, practice and being inspired by other peoples work.
I think a lot of people start off similar when they first use a camera, they take a photo and to them it looks good, or at least better than they are used to taking.
Gradually I think peoples standard get's higher and because of this their expectations from other peoples work get higher too and they are less impressed.
Often I think someone else's work has to be better than your own or on par for you to be impressed.

Without sounding harsh I think alot of images on this thread are poor, but then if I look back on images I took when first starting out in photography, I think those are poor too. At the time though I would have probably posted them on here and been proud.

Basically it comes down to practice makes perfect.

Also you don't have to be a chef to appreciate good food, but I think it helps.
Reply 692
DTR
I agree. I think people develop something I call "the magic eye" over time, practice and being inspired by other peoples work.
I think a lot of people start off similar when they first use a camera, they take a photo and to them it looks good, or at least better than they are used to taking.
Gradually I think peoples standard get's higher and because of this their expectations from other peoples work get higher too and they are less impressed.
Often I think someone else's work has to be better than your own or on par for you to be impressed.

Without sounding harsh I think alot of images on this thread are poor, but then if I look back on images I took when first starting out in photography, I think those are poor too. At the time though I would have probably posted them on here and been proud.

Basically it comes down to practice makes perfect.

Also you don't have to be a chef to appreciate good food, but I think it helps.

Yes there is probably truth in that.

I think a photo makes me take notice when it conveys something. Not necessarily a story though that can work. Just some sort of insight. Not even anything obvious as long as it instills something puzzling or haunting or moving when you look at it.

The photos of buildings which could slip into an architect's presentation are all well and good but don't really interest me.... That guy who took the panorama of the all the buildings on sunset boulevard in the 60s. That's interesting. there is something so ordinary about the photos yet wonderful because of the faintly glamorous image of the place and he presented them so well in his book, just one fold out page with them running in two parallel lines for each side of the street.

Anyway keep snapping people. I do appreciate good photos even though never tried to take them properly myself :smile:
I am becoming ever fascinated with the portrayal of the ordinary/everyday in photography. I think Richard Billingham's series of photographs called Ray's a Laugh really show that the photographic equipment you take an image with shouldn't be associated with preconceived notions of what makes a good photograph. It's the vision and thought process behind his images, taken with a cheap film camera, the cheapest film, and development at a local chemist, that have produced such honest representations of his personal every day life which were so talked about.

The skewed colours, blurry parts, strange angles and blown out areas of the image where the flash went off are all things that most photographers don't want for their photographs, but sometimes it just works. Oh how I love the snapshot aesthetic.

Sorry I rambled. I'm not really sure why I did.
Reply 694
tea_cakes
I am becoming ever fascinated with the portrayal of the ordinary/everyday in photography. I think Richard Billingham's series of photographs called Ray's a Laugh...

I just had a look at some of the photos in Ray's a Laugh but really can't see the appeal. They're quite painful and ugly to look at in my opinion.

Each to their own though :smile:
Reply 695
tea_cakes
I am becoming ever fascinated with the portrayal of the ordinary/everyday in photography. I think Richard Billingham's series of photographs called Ray's a Laugh really show that the photographic equipment you take an image with shouldn't be associated with preconceived notions of what makes a good photograph. It's the vision and thought process behind his images, taken with a cheap film camera, the cheapest film, and development at a local chemist, that have produced such honest representations of his personal every day life which were so talked about.

The skewed colours, blurry parts, strange angles and blown out areas of the image where the flash went off are all things that most photographers don't want for their photographs, but sometimes it just works. Oh how I love the snapshot aesthetic.

Sorry I rambled. I'm not really sure why I did.

Just had a look, they're truely excellent. thanks
Reply 696
DTR
I just had a look at some of the photos in Ray's a Laugh but really can't see the appeal. They're quite painful and ugly to look at in my opinion.

I genuinely think that is brilliant. Bringing him his egg tea :biggrin:
It's dour but it's so honest that makes it warm to me, not painful.
I've just been looking at as many as I could find and the poverty is ugly but overall it's a family. I really love it.
Reply 697
my ex took it of me walking out into the sea on holiday, didnt know she had a camera with her.
DTR

They are, but fundamentally they're a family and there is so much love captured within the images they become beautiful.

The first time I saw them, I overlooked them. But after studying photography in such detail last year, the literature I read, the photographers I go to know about, you begin to look past the aesthetic and into the meaning. I looked again, saw the love that Billingham had for his family despite all their imperfections and I guess I felt an affinity for that.
You might like Nan Golding then, if you don't already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending