username5311450
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Ok so I’m nearing the end of year nine and have picked as my extra gcses latin, German, geography, RS and Computer Science however I REALLY REALLY WANT to take Ancient Greek. I’m sure if I ask school they will allow it but I don’t know what to substitute it for.

Latin I am 100% set on so that’s not going. German I have to take because it’s my MFL. Computer Science I definitely want to take because I enjoy the course and it seems like my sort of thing.

So basically it’s down to geography or rs. Now I’m known to be the philosopher of my class and everyone knows I can make anything philosophical. I’ve also ALWAYS loved philosophy however what I do think is that is the gcse a bit easy? I really love RS and I lov studying bhuddism (which is what we are doing) but I’m really not sure.
I could swap it for geography but I feel as if geography is super beneficial in terms of understanding the world, economy and current issues. I also really like studying climate change and human responses to things.

So I’m really not sure. However, out of every gcse ever I do REALLY want to take Latin and Ancient Greek. I regret not considering Ancient Greek when I was choosing.

Ps. Is Ancient Greek OCR gcse hard?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you study languages further than GCSE, you will study culture as a part of the course, so that's the human Geography covered, on the whole. THe physical side, not so much, but you do study a bit of that in Biology, Chemistry and Physics! But to be honest, your grades at GCSE are generally more important than the subjects themselves, apart from core subjects and unless you need a specific subject to progress in the direction you want with your studies. Do what you enjoy if you don't know what you want to do afterwards, and everything else will fall into place. 3 languages is a lot, though and (although if I did GCSEs now I'd take as many languages as I could!) just make sure that it's really what you want to do, and that you're sure that you won't get bored
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You could always just ask if you can do Greek in your lunch break/after school - I have a couple friends who have done that as they were the only Hellenist in their year and it was fairly ad hoc. If your school is of the caliber to offer Greek, it can probably be flexible. GCSE Greek is not very difficult as long as you learn your verbs, so this is completely doable and you can still get a 9.

If you’re going to drop something, drop geography. All it is is volcanoes and coursework (note: this is just my advice )

More realistically, you could talk to your teachers about your options and ask for some advice from them. Good luck
archivalzebra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by auv)
Ok so I’m nearing the end of year nine and have picked as my extra gcses latin, German, geography, RS and Computer Science however I REALLY REALLY WANT to take Ancient Greek. I’m sure if I ask school they will allow it but I don’t know what to substitute it for.

Latin I am 100% set on so that’s not going. German I have to take because it’s my MFL. Computer Science I definitely want to take because I enjoy the course and it seems like my sort of thing.

So basically it’s down to geography or rs. Now I’m known to be the philosopher of my class and everyone knows I can make anything philosophical. I’ve also ALWAYS loved philosophy however what I do think is that is the gcse a bit easy? I really love RS and I lov studying bhuddism (which is what we are doing) but I’m really not sure.
I could swap it for geography but I feel as if geography is super beneficial in terms of understanding the world, economy and current issues. I also really like studying climate change and human responses to things.

So I’m really not sure. However, out of every gcse ever I do REALLY want to take Latin and Ancient Greek. I regret not considering Ancient Greek when I was choosing.

Ps. Is Ancient Greek OCR gcse hard?
I didn’t even know Ancient Greek was a gcse haha! Do you find Ancient Greek interesting? I don’t know that much about it but I’m sure it won’t hurt taking it and could link well with Latin. To be honest, RS at gcse isn’t very philosophical, it’s kind of annoying and generic. However, I found it to be one of my less stressful subjects and the course is more about understanding religions and your own citizenship so I found it quite useful for later life. If your more into the philosophical side of things then I would recommend that you study either RS or Philosophy at A-level. I really enjoyed geography, and I’m taking it for A-level. It does give you a large understanding on the world and how things work. You don’t really get too deep into the economy but it’s still interesting. Climate change is MASSIVE across pretty much all subjects & the last topic of AQA Chemistry is very similar to the first topic of AQA Geography, so if you don’t take it then you won’t be missing out on that, but by taking it it might make things a little easier.
At the end of the day, do what you enjoy most as you can get onto pretty much all A-level courses (except Music and MFL I think) without specific GCSEs. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. (By the way I did Maths, English, Triple Sci, RS, Geog, Spanish and Art at GCSE)
username5311450
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Thank you all so much this was actually so helpful!!
Last edited by username5311450; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise