Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone,
    I'm 17 and I will start applying 2 uni's this september for 2009 entry, I have the begining of an art portfolio to show you, can you lot tell me if it is of a good enough standard to get into maybe Oxford's Ruskin or Ucl's Slade.

Or u can see them by clicking here: http://zhiglov.deviantart.com/gallery/

Any comments about my work are welcome...
    Thanks In advance

Alex

ps I got a D for AS art LOL:woo:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I would say apply and start getting your portfolio together. Otherwise you should be applying externally to foundation courses, which'll mean you could get onto other good fine art courses if they don't get through. I think with your talent I wouldn't write down any other unis that take you straight from school

ReputationRep:
    also being from london you have the advantage of being in the area for lots of good foundations. Definitly look at chelsea's.

Make sure you're going to life drawing classes!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    I would say apply and start getting your portfolio together. Otherwise you should be applying externally to foundation courses, which'll mean you could get onto other good fine art courses if they don't get through. I think with your talent I wouldn't write down any other unis that take you straight from school
    is it hard 2 get onto foundation course?? any grade requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheartist)
    Hi there everyone,
    I'm 17 and I will start applying 2 uni's this september for 2009 entry, I have the begining of an art portfolio to show you, can you lot tell me if it is of a good enough standard to get into maybe Oxford's Ruskin or Ucl's Slade.

Or u can see them by clicking here: http://zhiglov.deviantart.com/gallery/

Any comments about my work are welcome...
    Thanks In advance

Alex

ps I got a D for AS art LOL:woo:
    Your work is amazing! I love the still life with the violin... why on earth did you get a D? does it have to do with the research and development that the British are into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123monster)
    Your work is amazing! I love the still life with the violin... why on earth did you get a D? does it have to do with the research and development that the British are into?

You hit the nail right on the head, plus I went on holiday 1 week before deadline and had 2 give it in early, I could have done lots more.....

Anyway im glad u liked:woo: my work!!

ReputationRep:
    You hit the nail right on the head, plus I went on holiday 1 week before deadline and had 2 give it in early, I could have done lots more.....

Anyway im glad u liked:woo: my work!!
    It's a pity... cuz I'm sure you had all that research and stuff in your head... is there a way of you redoing the course... then again art degrees and jobs usually go more by portfolio than marks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123monster)
    It's a pity... cuz I'm sure you had all that research and stuff in your head... is there a way of you redoing the course... then again art degrees and jobs usually go more by portfolio than marks...
    Hopefully i'll do better in A2 side of things bring it up 2 like maybe a B?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i'll do better in A2 side of things bring it up 2 like maybe a B?
    and from what I've been reading it seems like in the A2 there is more emphasis on the product than on the research and development... If you work hard I'm sure you'll do well!:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I hope i do well as well, The problem i have is that I dont understand if im working at the level high enough to get into these uni's, as i have never seen any ones' portfolio hu actually got into the ruskin or the slade for that matter. That's why im relying on ppl here 2 tell me if im on the right track.....
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I didn't particularly like the Ruskin as I found the course and the tutors overly restrictive, preferring their students to approach their work in a set way and perceived technical "standard", something I didn't want to do, especially as a student. I firmly believe that experimentation and guidance is key to an artist's growth, there's no right answers in this game.

The area of Oxford is pleasant and pretty but there's really no comparison to London. The city is literally fuming with creative energy from the mainstream to the avant garde. I've been fortunate enough to have lived and visited practically every major city during my time and I can safely say that London supersedes on all counts in this regard, so I'd definitely recommend the Slade, or even Chelsea (beautiful college) over the Ruskin for the location alone (which is particularly important for an artist).

Your work is technically solid and well defined. You'll certainly have no problems entering the foundation, which is essentially a preparation course for undergraduate degree study, so the intake is considerably higher. Bear in mind that foundation courses serve to remold you... - in other words, anything you think you know, you don't, they'll shape you during that year. Of course your prior experience and natural knack for painting will remain, after all they don't wish to produce robots.

Any good institution will focus on the quality of your work and your general attitude, your grades are secondary. Obviously you have to pass certain requirements but don't worry too much about that, it really does boil down to the portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mattise Im still going 2 apply 2 oxford (purely 4 the reason that i am able to gloat at other ppl and say i went 2 oxford, lol) maybe 2 do the 4 yr foundation/BA fine art then do masters at the rca.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thanks mattise Im still going 2 apply 2 oxford (purely 4 the reason that i am able to gloat at other ppl and say i went 2 oxford, lol) maybe 2 do the 4 yr foundation/BA fine art then do masters at the rca.
    Sounds like a plan. - although one thing I'll quickly state is that it's crucially important to visit an open day so you can have the opportunity to see the work on the course and what the course entails. You'll be surprised how a few hours at a place with the tutor(s) can drastically change your perception of whether you want to study there. Reputation is important but it's certainly not everything, - especially if you're applying solely because it's Oxford (which bear in mind is heavily rooted elsewhere for its reputation as well as fine art). You'll also have the resources and potential contacts while studying at the RCA, so good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matisse)
    Sounds like a plan. - although one thing I'll quickly state is that it's crucially important to visit an open day so you can have the opportunity to see the work on the course and what the course entails. You'll be surprised how a few hours at a place with the tutor(s) can drastically change your perception of whether you want to study there. Reputation is important but it's certainly not everything, - especially if you're applying solely because it's Oxford (which bear in mind is heavily rooted elsewhere for its reputation as well as fine art). You'll also have the resources and potential contacts while studying at the RCA, so good luck.
    thanks man, i ll definately go 2 the open day i think theres one coming up in september, btw u studied at RCA, did u make good contacts with the industry through it and also was it easy 2 find a job afterwards because u went there
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    This varies depending on the discipline. Fine Art is less vocational than Fashion Design (what I studied), and so the approach to finding work differs. This is also partly why many Fine Art students choose to work in more vocational fields such as advertising or film upon graduation.

In my case the majority of the industry "contacts" I met was during my time at CSM not at the RCA. This is taking into account that postgraduate study (particularly at the RCA) is research led, less on professional development. That's not to say that you won't find the resources or contacts at RCA, as there will be opportunities to exhibit your work to prospective buyers and collectors (presumably you're planning to study Fine Art based on your chosen institutions?), of which there are plenty in London, particularly for graduates at the RCA.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I was thinking of maybe going into the film/advertising industry also gaming is growing exponentially so might have a slice of that... basically if it pays more then it is better, then i will be more interested. Btw is CSM good i was thinking of going there as well..... that or chelsea...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 27, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.