Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to take Biology, Chemisty, Maths, English Literature, Further Maths. As I thought this would leave routes on to a maths related career, medicine or law. I was under the illusion that for law, I needed an essay subject like English Literature or History, is this true?

As I really want to take Geography anyway and would love to swap it in instead of the English Literature. Would this cause any problems?

ReputationRep:
    It really wouldn't at all. For law, the lucky thing is that subject choices/combinations don't matter at all, as long as they've got a good academic content - and yours have, so you have nothing to worry about. It's not like medicine or maths, where you obviously need specific subjects. Make sure you enjoy the subjects, so you can do well in them. An essay subject could be helpful in some respects, but not having one won't hinder you getting offers; it doesn't matter whether you have essay subjects, or science subjects. Choose the one you'll do better in - and if you think that's Geography instead of English Lit, that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects are fine! I've done A2 PE and orignally i was worried nowhere would accept me with that for law. Paired with A2 history and A2 law it's been fine though

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said there are no specific subjects that hold the key to studying Law. Biology & Chemistry will give you analytical skills, and obviously English Lit gives you esseay skills. MAths are good as well.

Don't worry you will be fine with the subjects you have picked, at the end of the day you need to pick subjects that you will enjoy not just because you can do this with them.

Also, as long as you have picked academic subjects that are highly respected you will not have a problem, and I think all your subjects are academic.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for everyones advice, it has been useful

ReputationRep:
    I think they're great A Levels for Law. They love traditional and academic subjects, and all of yours are exactly that. I took Maths, Psychology, Law and English Literature. English Literature seemed to be a good choice, but my interviewer for Oxford (for Law) spent about 10 minutes talking about Maths A Level, and why it was so good for Law etc, (which was pretty much based around its academic rigour). So I would imagine the same would be true of the sciences.

However, that said, universities pretty much don't mind which A Levels you take, apart from a few "blacklisted" ones, unofficially including Law A Level.

But I tihnk English would be a definite one to keep, as it is very much respected by universities.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against, A Level, apparently some uni's dont like it, but obviously there are some cases.

ReputationRep:
    You should really do at least one essay based subject, as this will prepare you better for law.

ReputationRep:
    English Language as roughly as good as Literature if I took that instead of Literature.

I would take Literature but I got a B and I'm intimidated by the people in that class who got A*'s and read absoloutely loads.

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry German and English Language (I can still change to Literature) Could I have Law down as a possible path?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    English Language as roughly as good as Literature if I took that instead of Literature.

I would take Literature but I got a B and I'm intimidated by the people in that class who got A*'s and read absoloutely loads.

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry German and English Language (I can still change to Literature) Could I have Law down as a possible path?
    I would pick a more argumentative/essay based subject over English Language
    History and English Literature are good options

ReputationRep:
    English Lit and History are preferred

ReputationRep:
    I Picked Sociology, Gov and Politics, Psychology and History .. Are they good enough? Expecially Gov and Politics?

ReputationRep:
    We have the option to do Law at A-Level but I've heard that wouldn't help.

Am I right?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.