Turn on thread page Beta

I've been pondering about my relationship for a while and the fact it goes stale alot. We've been together a year, but the respect and trust is certainly there, and we have similar personalities, which is why we get on well. I'm quite stubborn and anxious, he's laid back and tolerant. Yet we both want the same thing, a good job, a loving relationship. Yet we have alot of differences as well, like we don't share many interests, and i think this is what lets us down. He likes computers, console games, football, music, and comedy. Whereas i like geography, nature, different kinds of music to him, badminton, travelling, fashion and beauty, shopping. We do compromise on alot of things, i mean, we like going to the cinema together and going for meals, and i play on the xbox with him sometimes and go to see comedians. He also goes shopping with me occasonally, and we have the odd discussion about global warming etc (he works in admin at the environment agency so knows about this stuff, although is not really interested in it).

I just wondered, in reality, whether most couples do have alot in common or do most compromise? I do feel in order for us to work better we need to start getting more involved in each other's lives but i hate having to ask him in case he sneers at the idea of playing badminton with me etc. Have you got alot in common with your boyfriend/girlfriend? If not, how do you deal with it? For now i'm gonna see if we can get tickets to see a comedian we both like and i'll play on guitar hero more with him (i enjoy it actually :p:).

ReputationRep:
    a guy who likes xbox and a girl who likes shopping? yeah not much to stress over there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much in common with my girlfriend to be honest. But we both work hard.

ReputationRep:
    me and my boyfriend are totally different, but really similar at the same time

Compromise, and then you'll find things you bothe really like (like guitar hero). If he see's you're interested then he might try to find games that you'd both like My boyfriends made me a gamer

Check my 'We Are Not Alike' post.

We both like Nintendo Wiis though. And the same music.

ReputationRep:
    Compromising is the biggest thing in relationships. The important thing is that you have to feel like you are receiving enough to compensate for your giving. And in a lot of cases, maybe you can find something he does interesting or fun and he with your hobbies. It's important to keep a sense of self in the whole thing, you are you and allowed your individual interests... just imagine if you were only interested in the same things, how boring would everything become?

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have a lot in common

We both like/love:

+ Physics
    + Science in general
    + Maths
    + Philosophy
    + Chess
    + Board games in general (we've become addicted to Set recently)
    + World of Warcraft
    + Computer gaming in general (we've been playing a lot of Audiosurf together <3)
    + Rock/Prog music (Muse, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, etc)
    + Console games (although, him more than me)
    + Animé
    + Weird/philosophical films (Fight Club, Donnie Darko, American Beauty, etc)
    + Pixar
    + Sex (we have very similar, erm, tastes)
    + Cats
    + Animals in general (although he is still getting to know to my horses)
    + Nature/mountains/forests
    + The sea (but I prefer swimming in rivers, need to convert him to that one!)
    + Fantasy
    + Web comics (Questionable Content, SMBC, xkcd, Ozy and Millie, etc)

Where do we differ?

+ He is a little more passive than I am and dislikes making decisions
    + We like the same bands/artists, but often different songs
    + He doesn't argue whereas I can get irate and shouty. Never at him though.

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same issues as you, however we have never found this a problem. It is nice to have seperate interests.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my bf are quite similar but also quite different, we share a number of our interests such as Series 2 landrovers and computers, but there are a couple of things that we refuse to participate in with each other. I won't go sailing with him and he won't come to the theatre with me, but we both accept these things and to be honest, sometimes you need those separate things to keep going. We have some things we compromise on, like he's a keen cyclist, whereas I'm not after I got knocked off last year but I will go out with him, and obviously, I like shopping and he doesn't, but he will come if I want to go

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend are scarily alike, to be honest, I can't really think of any hobbies or whatever that we don't agree on. I like it this way. It means we do lots of stuff together, have lots and lots in common and can reminicise about things together.

I split with my ex-boyfriend because we had nothing in common. He wasn't interested in music, films, books or travel. And I wasn't interested in manga or urm .. whatever he was actually interested in. It's really hard to have a proper conversation with someone who you don't share anything with or particuarly like.

ReputationRep:
    My boy andI are totally different. We say it's what makes us so interesting to each other, though occasionally there are areas that we struggle with because we have enitrely different mentalities: for instance, I'm extremely academically driven. I see things in terms of failure and success, and failure just isn't an option. My work comes first. For him, education is about the love of learning, but he really couldn't be bothered about the grades and can't comprehend why I'm so obsessed with the education system which he thinks breeds a dangerous mentality.
    I'm very stressy and like to have things planned and organised; he's very laid back and takes things as they come.
    I'm quite....errr, prim and proper :p: It's all about rules and regulations, whereas..well I affectionately call him a yob XD
    He's very ****-the-system, whereas I'm work with the establishment, I'm very anti drugs, and he's erm..not XD

As far as hobbies go, he loves music (especially live) and I'm just not interested, he likes cars and again it's right over my head.

However, we do have a lot in common: we like to talk and moan about the state of the world, we're both terribly cyncial and extremely sarcastic. We both love animals, and spend ages with our dogs, we like to go for walks and sit in fields, we like watching films (though we're both indecisive and spend forever choosing!) and we'd both choose a good book over pretty much anything else etc etc..you catch my drift.

But basically, for all that we don't have in common [and for all that we do] somewhere along the line we just click and it's amazing. I'd hate to be exactly the same as him.

ReputationRep:
    well, I'm more nerdy than him haha and I work harder at school , where as although he's clever he doesn't care as much about school. However, he has a better grasp of general knowledge than me. We are both into sport and music, although we have different tastes in both these. He is far more happy go lucky and positive than I am, which is nice because he always makes me feel more that way. But the most important thing is that we share a sense of humour. I think that you can be completely different in allot of ways, but as long as you are able to laugh and have fun together then it will probably work out alright

ReputationRep:
    Hobbies: not really anything in common there... I like photography, he likes racing radio controlled cars... I usually compromise a little and take photos of the radio controlled cars... I read a lot, but he doesn't like to because he struggles with his dyslexia, but we both love doing sudoku's on the DS before bed, lol!

TV: Roughly the same programs, but he likes to watch the rallying, whereas I don't, although I do enjoy the F1. We bonded over our love of Whose Line Is It Anyway?, and we pick a series of something to watch an episode of most nights. (Took me a year, but I got him into House, and now it's 2 episodes a night he loves it that much, lol!)

Music: we both have very varied tastes, ranging from Dance to Rock and Punk, although he doesn't share my taste in musicals and disney, lol!!

Sense of Humor: is perfectly matched. We're one of those annoying couples who can just look at each other and know exactly what the other person is about to laugh at, and will start laughing simultaneously!

Been together a year now, we don't so much finish each other's sentences as say exactly the same thing at the same time, which is quite creepy at times. I think the differences are important because even though we spend most of our free time together, we don't always have to be doing the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    Its nice to go and do things on your own. Don't want to become one those couples that do EVERYTHING together.

I wouldn't worry about everyone else, if it works for you then thats fine!

ReputationRep:
    We have pretty much everything in common. And both keen to get interested in each other's 'other' interests - e.g. when we first met I hated cycling, last month we cycled to Belgium together! He'd never been to the theatre and I'm an absolute musical nut, he took me to The Sound of Music for my birthday

There are a few differences, more in our views on stuff and our music tastes, but we share pretty much all our interests.

You need to talk to him about how you feel, say you want to do more stuff together etc. this is a really great way to become closer, try new things for yourself and hopefully have a lot of fun together. He seems to have pretty typically bloke-y interests so don't worry, I'm sure you're not the only person in this situation!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say we have a lot in common. We support the same political party but fall at different ends of it I am definitely more liberal than he is. We generally agree and share views on the big things but differ on the small less important things like music and tv/film tastes. However that just makes things more interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dita_parlo)
    Me and my boyfriend are scarily alike, to be honest, I can't really think of any hobbies or whatever that we don't agree on. I like it this way. It means we do lots of stuff together, have lots and lots in common and can reminicise about things together.
    ditto, there's only little things we differ on.
    ie. I love games but her attention span is too short for them XD
    I am more arty, and she more in language and literature but we both enjoy each others main interest

I think it's important to have things you both relate with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much in common with my other half, but our relationship probably works because it's that way. I think I'd probably kill someone who was similar to me :P.

ReputationRep:
    Simliar but disimilar as well.

Music: pretty much the same, mainly because we met at such a young age and our tastes have merged a bit, although i do like the occasional dance to 80s in my local nightclub lol

Tv, other than documentaries we never agree on anything, i love neighbours and silly light hearted things and he likes watching the news and all this political stuff, despite this we watch the simpsons and the likes together.

hobbies: well ur likely to find him on his bike or on the computer playing halflife lol. I'd be on the wii and out with my dog. We love visiting new places together though

Hes much more career driven than i am, he wants to work his way up in the workplace where im happy to have a stable job and an easy life.

In saying all this we still have so much in common due to the fact we are doing pratically the same course at uni but then again you notice the differences in how we study etc.

As long as you have a few similarities I recon you'll be ok, i know this couple who are completly from opposite ends of the scale in every way, yet they are really happy together (a city girl and a country guy, completly opposite music/movie/hobbies)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.