Turn on thread page Beta

For those in a relationship - do you have alot in common? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend have some things in common, but for the most part we like very different things. He's into history and politics, he loves 80s music (particularly the 80s rock stuff), he likes sci-fi movies. I'm into sociology, psychology and law, I like the more modern music, I can't stand sci-fi, and I love watching Eastenders (something which he hates!). I think this is good though as it gives us something to talk about, and it's good to be different as opposites attract . I am also a party-girl, I like going out to pubs and when I am 18 I am bound to go clubbing a lot, whereas my boyfriend doesn't like pubs or clubs.

EDIT: however we do have some things in common. We both love watching neighbours, we both have similar tastes in food lol, we both enjoy playing on our DS, we do have some of the same tastes in music and moves even if the majority are completely different (e.g. we both like nickelback, bryan adams, shania twain, delta goodrem etc), we both have similar beliefs about things (although sometimes we can get into a debate and have completely different views lol), we are both romantics etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been pondering about my relationship for a while and the fact it goes stale alot. We've been together a year, but the respect and trust is certainly there, and we have similar personalities, which is why we get on well. I'm quite stubborn and anxious, he's laid back and tolerant. Yet we both want the same thing, a good job, a loving relationship. Yet we have alot of differences as well, like we don't share many interests, and i think this is what lets us down. He likes computers, console games, football, music, and comedy. Whereas i like geography, nature, different kinds of music to him, badminton, travelling, fashion and beauty, shopping. We do compromise on alot of things, i mean, we like going to the cinema together and going for meals, and i play on the xbox with him sometimes and go to see comedians. He also goes shopping with me occasonally, and we have the odd discussion about global warming etc (he works in admin at the environment agency so knows about this stuff, although is not really interested in it).

I just wondered, in reality, whether most couples do have alot in common or do most compromise? I do feel in order for us to work better we need to start getting more involved in each other's lives but i hate having to ask him in case he sneers at the idea of playing badminton with me etc. Have you got alot in common with your boyfriend/girlfriend? If not, how do you deal with it? For now i'm gonna see if we can get tickets to see a comedian we both like and i'll play on guitar hero more with him (i enjoy it actually :p:).
    You just sound like the typical girl, with female interests, and boy with male interests - don't think there's really a problem there!

Btw, you haven't actually mentioned how you FEEL about him - is there a 'spark'.

*please ignore use of word 'spark' - I've been watching too much Sex and the City recently. *

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have some common interests in common and some interests that the other doesn't care about at all. I think it's all about finding a balance of things that you can do together and being prepared to at least try each other's hobbies, or listen to why they like them before you're dissmissive.

If you feel like your lack of common ground is becoming a problem, why don't you try and find something new that interests you both? Maybe something like pool, or going out for a certain type of food every so often?

ReputationRep:
    our personalities are very similar, but when it comes to everyday things, if shes good at it, im terrible, or the other way around. because of this we get along perfectly!!

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I share a lot of interests I think. We both love; cooking, watching films, going to gigs/concerts, going exploring at the weekend, going to the beach, same taste in TV shows, both like to play PC/Wii games together, to some extent we both like shopping, going out for meals, bowling, photography. In personalities we're pretty much similar but I'm a clean freak whereas he's much more laid back and will live in his own mess without feeling the need to tidy up.

I like how we share interests as it means we enjoy the things we do together rather than one person being slightly less enthusiastic.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same issue, although I wouldn't really call it an issue as it's not much of a problem. I been with my boyfriend for just over 2 years and things are great, even though he's a complete football nut and well, I'm not. We have different interests, but that's what makes everything worth while, as there's so much to talk about and because he understands me, I wouldn't even mind going to a game with him. I like shopping, movies and animals, to name a few, whereas he dislikes shopping with a passion and isn't too fond of animals.. but together, we both prefer to stay in than go out drinking, share the same taste in food and are studying the same subject at uni. I've spent times wondering what we have in common, and even though there isn't too much, we understand that we both have separate interests and that some things will never change, so instead of thinking too hard on that subject, we share the common ground equally and enjoy being together

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend are in some ways veryy similar - we have the same taste in music, both work in restaurants, both enjoy cooking, and like the same foods, and we finish eachothers sentences and sound similar when talking.

However, there are loadss of differences too. He wants to be a doctor and does all sciencey classes, whereas i would like to do psychology or languages, so all of my classes are literature and history, etc.
    Also i get annoyed quicker than him, and i also prefer to talk about problems whereas he prefers to just not mention them and hope they will go away. He is very sociable, and i am extremely shy around new people, but ridiculously loud with my close friends and in my comfort zone. He likes to blend into the background, whereas i like to be the centre of attention a bit.

I think it would be weird to have somebody exactly like me.. i'd probably kill them...

ReputationRep:
    on paper we are nothing alike. when we are together this is'nt a roblem, but it does worry me when i'm alone. hey we're equally insecure.

ReputationRep:
    If you both had the exact same interests and views on things, I'd imagine things would be rather dull. Difference is good.

My boyfriend and I have stuff in common but not everything. Enough so that we can do things together, but if we want we can pursue interests separately or whatever.

OP, how about finding something new that you two can do? Maybe a sport neither of you have ever tried or something, if you both enjoy it then it can be "your" thing really.

ReputationRep:
    enough in common to have something to relate to and enjoy together, different enough to keep things new and interesting

ReputationRep:
    I have very little in common with my bf. I tend to be more spontaneous, hot tempered and stubborn, whereas he is always very organised, likes to talk things through and is very patient. We've had very different upbringings and have opposing tastes. Our interests are also different. I love camping, climbing, hiking and obscure sports and he likes more conventional holidays and athletics. Academically we're doing different subjects. I guess we have similar plans for the future, but in all other respects we're total opposites.
    When we're getting on well it's amazing but we tend to argue more than most couples. We’ve also had problems with each other’s families. I wouldn't have it any other way though. My ex was a lot more like me, and he used to annoy me sometimes, we often ran out of things to say and although we never argued, the good times weren't as good.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my bf have quite a lot in common, both enjoy the wii, ds, football and most other sports, internet and we've both started to get fit together, which is fun . Like the same kind of music, film, comedy and both like card/board games, theme parks and zoos. The only things we differ on is that he laid back and indecisive whereas I'm not as laid back/worry more + make most of the decisions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Errrm, I wouldn't say that we shared exactly the same interests. With music, we both like the same pop music, but I'm more into dance and he's interested in classical stuff (which I find boring)
    TV - we both like Spooks/Crime/Thrillers but I'm obsessed with BBC and him with Dave. Which works out cos a lot of Dave TV shows are originally from the BBC.
    Personality wise we're slightly different, I stress/plan/organise more and he's more 'let's see what happens'. I think it works that way since he calms me down and I make him care slightly more :p:
    We're both at different stages in our lives which is the main difference. He's going into his final year in uni and so is thinking about career plans etc, whereas I haven't really considered anything.

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's a bit of both, I think. It's exceedingly unlikely you'll find a mirror image of yourself and often foolish to hold out for that. Most proper and long-lasting relationships involve compromise and sacrifice, though not in the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    I think a bit of common is fine, you dont have to have to have somone with the exact personbality as yours because it'll be BORING!!!!!

Im down most of the time and my bf is a happy bean, so that kinda even out. we have lots in common but lot of differences too. Just remember to discuss and compromise between the two of u

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard the saying "Opposites attract"?

ReputationRep:
    interesting post...

i think some common interests are necessary but as long as you're happy together on an emotional level i think that's the main priority...like does being together enrich your lives as individuals or is it an annoyance? that's what i'd ask myself

nb: i've only had a one month relationship in my life so i hope my advice is helpful despite a lack of experience

good luck

ReputationRep:
    We have the same interests, by and large, and we're definitely singing from the same hymn-sheet with most of our opinions - at least, with the ones that matter directly to our relationship (e.g. views on bringing up a family; views on money; views on what we want to achieve in life, and so on). However, we do often differ wildly on things that don't matter directly to us, such as religion, ethics and politics. That's a good thing though, as neither of us are particularly strict with regards to any of those things.. so all our conflicting opinions ever lead to is healthy debate.

ReputationRep:
    Different interests and personalities but broadly similar worldviews

ReputationRep:
    The person I was romantically involved with was incredibly similar to me. That's quite an important trait for me, but as you can probably tell, most people are fine with very different partners. I guess it depends on the person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.