Turn on thread page Beta

For those in a relationship - do you have alot in common? watch

ReputationRep:
    yeah I think me n my other half do have a fair bit in common... we have the same kinda tastes for things... tis good cos we can do things together and chat for hours on end about stuff... of course there are slight differences, otherwise it'd just be boring e.g. I'm a bit of bookworm (Irvine Welsh, Anthony Burgess, Thomas Harris [yes the guy who wrote the Hannibal series... legend!], Stephen King sorta stuff) and he doesn't like reading that much (apart from Homer's Odyssey... he likes the gory bits hehe).

EDIT: I also like Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band (something I don't really share with anyone :p:, and I also appreciate some odd kinds of art...)

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much in common with my girlfriend.

She is a rich, Jewish American girl who talks all proper and doesn't swear whereas I am an ex-con from a run down council estate who talks all common...

ReputationRep:
    I do have quite a lot in common with my husband. A few differences, of course, but that's normal. It would be boring if we were alike in EVERY way.

But yeh:

we both like :
    cinema, restaurants, rock music, rpgs, books (I like to read them, he likes to listen - it's a good balance lol), sci-fi and fantasy stuff (tv programmes etc).

where we differ:
    he likes horror films but I'm squeamish and don't
    I like theatre but he doesn't
    I like travelling, whereas he's not that bothered
    I'm much more academic and interested in studying than him.

but we're largely the same. We have similar senses of humour and similar personalities. I'm usually bossier though although lately he's been a right bossy sod lol.

ReputationRep:
    We are both obbsessed with Jalopenos and curry. Thats about it!

ReputationRep:
    My bf and I are for the most part very different. We have similar tastes in films and a similar sense of humor but thats about it. Some of our political views are the same but at times he seems more conservative than me (probably the only part about him I 'dislike' aha) and we both hate sport. Although he does exercise, unlike me XD

He likes much heavier music than me; he likes stuff like Biffy Clyro and Nine Inch Nails whilst I'm more likely to listen to pop punk and emo. There are a few bands we both like though. He also hates Lost whereas it's my most favorite program EVER aha.

I like random foreign food and being adventurous whereas he usually just gets a burger XD He also hates fruit & veggies, unlike me who loves them :P
    But we get on great

ReputationRep:
    i often say my bf is the male equivelent of me! i think part of why weclicked is that we get on so well. though some things differ, like we hve the same weird sense of humour (how many other couples do you know of that have a cheese rating !) but we are different emotionally i.e i tend to get depressed where as he gets angry.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I are similar but I think we have more differences. We have different tastes in music, books and films. I think it's nice to have varying likes and dislikes though, makes it more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I... we're so familiar it's comfortable, but dissimilar enough to keep it interesting. We share almost all of our interests (some only casually, but nevertheless...), but I'd say we share more life experiences than anything else, which is the foundation of our relationship - we spent a year chatting online about all sorts of things that would make a normal person run a mile, and yet with every stupid/insane story/thought it was like "Hey, me too!"
    Still, we do differ in the extremes sometimes. He can be incredibly dramatic whereas I choose to keep things to myself, and that is usually the basis for our occasional disagreements - deep personality flaws :p:
    I wouldn't change it for anything!

ReputationRep:
    A good relationship needs compatibility, respect, hard-work, and love. And love falls in it's appropriate ranking (they're all really really really (get the point :p:) close).

W/O the rest, love isn't enough. But with the other ones, love grows stronger and stronger

ReputationRep:
    Oppisites attract,

But well with me and my boyfriend, he has introduced me in to liking new things. And vica versa.

ReputationRep:
    Opposites attract, but they don't seem to last that long. Not in my experience at least :no:

(Original post by Kilariously Jazzed)
    You just sound like the typical girl, with female interests, and boy with male interests - don't think there's really a problem there!

Btw, you haven't actually mentioned how you FEEL about him - is there a 'spark'.

*please ignore use of word 'spark' - I've been watching too much Sex and the City recently. *
    Well i think it's still there but we only see each other weekends so i guess that affects it. We certainly love each other though and i miss him etc, and we do have a connection, just i sometimes think it could be better, like not like it used to be sort of thing, but probably because we don't spend much time with each other and don't get many chances to share alot of things i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend are VERY similar, its scary sometime. But trust me, you've GOTTA have differences or it just gets annoying... And if you have differences.. and you're open-minded.. you're in for a fun relationship, you can go and try something new or something you dont normally do, and you can bond over it more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no...

in common we have:
    Music
    some types of food..chips and mayonaise, plus humous..
    Life experiences
    Political views

yet i like shopping, fashion..beauty etc where as it all goes right over his head, where as hes into computers and cars..and although i like too express an interest i could never find it AS interesting as he does!!! But its important too have those outside interests, i love it when he talks too me about things hes interested in and im learning..not too sure if he feels the same way about me and this winters lingerie line lol

Our personalities are very different aswell, for example i can be rude and bossy..in a good way! Yet hes very calm, relaxed...although he does have his spontaneous moments, eg..random piggy backs lol

try taking a class together, reading the same book..so you have something too discuss??

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend's into computers - coding, programming, web design. I'm into online shopping, outdoor sports (field hockey) and loud poppy music. We have things in common, but I think it's more that we complement each other.

ReputationRep:
    hm, sort of.

we both have completely different interests and hobbies, but we're both interested by each others interests..if that makes any sense!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    nope. she's into drama, singing and muisc and i'm into football/sports or what have you. never been a problem. we've discussed it before and we think it's good because it means there's something more to our relationsihp than just common interests, which would be boring very soon

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.