Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please
    Just done a first response test, and Im pregnant. Around 4 weeks I would guess...
    Feel stupid and unlucky as used condom, but it split, and took the morning after pill but it clearly didnt work :rolleyes: :no:
    I cant tell my parents as they are v religious and would kill me for having sex and then wouldnt let me have an abortion...

So yes.

Need to have an abortion...

I need to go to my Gp? Do you still need a referral from 2 gps?
    How many appointments are needed for it all to be over and done with, as I have no transport, live in the middle of nowhere and the boyfriend is super busy at work until end of month so I would have to get a taxi and I cant afford that.
    Also, will I have to stay overnight in the hospital?

Wow... you sounds very "matter of a fact" about this. You not affording a taxi sounded like a bigger worry.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a horrible situation for you to be in, In know if I was in your position I would do the same as you. You are going to need a lot of support though so I'd suggest talking to the relevant people at your university, if I remember rightly they can't tell anyone unless they think your in danger and they'll listen to you and may even help you with getting your abortion. Don't listen to people who are against your choice, the most imporant thing is that this is YOUR choice and nooe elses. So make sure you think it through and get support. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Wow... you sounds very "matter of a fact" about this. You not affording a taxi sounded like a bigger worry.
    Yes, that's what I thought when I first read the original post - how matter of fact she sounds about it all. Whether or not somebody is pro-choice or pro-life, I think it's a given that most normal people generally accept that having an abortion isn't a walk in the park and shouldn't be done lightly without a lot of careful thought (I hope that's the attitude of most people anyway), but the OP being all concerned about taxi fares and so on is very flippant and somewhat disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Yes, that's what I thought when I first read the original post - how matter of fact she sounds about it all. Whether or not somebody is pro-choice or pro-life, I think it's a given that most normal people generally accept that having an abortion isn't a walk in the park and shouldn't be done lightly without a lot of careful thought (I hope that's the attitude of most people anyway), but the OP being all concerned about taxi fares and so on is very flippant and somewhat disturbing.
    Yeah, I thought that as well - it's horrible to know someone can care so little about their own child and act as if ending his or her life is only the same as nipping to get some cough medicine. It is very disturbing indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XAlonso)
    no i was just wondering if you were a muslim and came from an asian background, i would have really felt for you as these issues are more strict.
    Ignorance.
    Muslims all have a similar viewpoint and asian (I assume you mean people from India) are just a race made up of loads of religions.

Cathloics are strict, you can not get an abortion in Eire.

OP you need to ses your GP asap. Take another test as well.

ReputationRep:
    Its a horrible situation to find yourself in. To get started you will need to go to your GP or local family planning clinic who can refer you as well as discuss everything with you to ensure that you have considered all your options. They should do so in a non-judgemental way just to ensure that you know what you are doing etc. When it comes to the actual termination is there any way that you can get your boyfriend to go with you or even a close friend for support.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting this thread at all. Just got on, 2 people have quoted me but i cant see what they ahve said and my post has been deleted. Why?

(Original post by Mush)
    What's your boyfriends view on the whole situation?

I can't help but feel that us guys are entirely, and unfairly, ignored during the whole process of deciding what's best in a badly-timed pregnancy.
    I've explained everything to him, and he agrees with my decision, and will be coming with me to the Dr and hospital

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Yes, reading back I do sound very callous and matter of fact, but I have been worrying about this for ages, and had made my decision before I even knew for certain I was pregnant.
    My father is a vicar and so there is absolutely no way I can tell them as I would be kicked out and/or made to keep the baby, which is absolutely not something I can deal with.
    I have given this a lot of thought but am 100% pro choice, and IMO it is not yet a "baby" and having an abortion is the best thing for me.
    I only mentioned my lack of funds as it's yet another thing I'm worried about and can't exactly ask my parents....
    but all is sorted now and my boyfriend is taking me.
    Sorry if I offended you or sounded "cruel".

(Original post by abc101)
    Yeah, I thought that as well - it's horrible to know someone can care so little about their own child and act as if ending his or her life is only the same as nipping to get some cough medicine. It is very disturbing indeed.
    :rolleyes:
    I do not like kids, tbh I never want to have any. Especially not at this point in time.
    In my eyes, it is not a baby. It is a cluster of cells.
    And I don't nip to get cough medicine. Coughs are not generally in need of medicating. This is slightly more serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is slightly more serious.
    Pity you're not acting like it is.

(Original post by abc101)
    Pity you're not acting like it is.
    What would you rather I do???
    Run around like a headless chicken, panicing and crying and telling everyone I know? :confused:
    I am handling the situation in a calm way without throwing a hissy fit.
    How would you recommend I take it more seriously? :shifty:

Anon or delete please
    Been to GP today, am four weeks pregnant and she has said that the earliest appointment I can get is 4th November :confused: That seems very long, and Im sure you arent meant to wait more than 2 weeks?
    She said that is the absolute soonest I can get an appointment (and this is just for the consulation not even abortion) at either of the 2 nearby hospitals, unless I go private...
    Going to go to local family planning clinic at weekend, to see what they say, but is there any chance of being able to have an earlier appointment as the 4th seems ages away

ReputationRep:
    It may be a long time to wait but in reality its only 2 weeks ish.
    Once you have had that consultation it should be another week.
    I was 5 and a half weeks pregnant planning on a termination but ended up having a miscarridge.
    Don't worry you have up to 12 weeks to have a termination and personally i would recommend waiting longer and go for surgical abortion.
    At your consultation you will speak to a nurse and she will check your blood pressure etc, then you will be seen by a doctor. The doctor will do an internal scan with a probe with a condom and lube - bit uncomfortable but doesnt hurt a bit.
    They will tell you if they concent the abortion (you have to give a reason why you want the abortion - mine was financially and mentally unstable and i felt too young)
    They then will tell you if they support the abortion or not. The doctor will ask you if you want a surgical or a medical abortion.
    After that you will go back to the nurse and they will tell you when your appointment is and what you have to take (slippers, £3.50 for t.v. and money for food and drink, sanitart pads etc). She will then book you an appointment and the gynecology ward.
    If you have a medical abortion, you will go, and take an oral pill. Then 2 days later you go back and have a pill placed at the top of your vagina, this is when you will need all the stuff mentioned above as you will be there most of the day, AND IN PAIN.

If you have the surgical termination, you will not be allowed to eat or drink for 24 hours before hand, and you will be admited into the day ward, and sent home at night. You have to be atleast 7 weeks pregnant for this option.
    You will be placed under general anesthetic and it will be sucked out of you. The advantage of this one is that there is NO PAIN - no contractions, and you dont see the foetus, like you would with the medical. Another downside with the medical is that not only do you see the foetus, but you also pass big blood clots the day after and for around a week after, and also, if you dont pass everything, you then have a second pill placed in, and if that doesnt work your kept in over night and have a surgical the next day.

You have plenty of time to make your options, and dont panic about the time, they wouldnt let you wait that long if there wasnt time.
    PM if you want some more advise and good luck

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    you'd rather keep your weekly schedule than see if you're pregnant

go buy a test? if you don't have time.

I'm not sure whether walk in centres will do prenancy tests though...

ReputationRep:
    wait and see if you start to get fat :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if your pregnant it will have to ruin your schedual if you want to keep it or not.
    reality check..... drop some stuff for one day and sort yourself out.

(Original post by bass_belle)
    It may be a long time to wait but in reality its only 2 weeks ish.
    Once you have had that consultation it should be another week.
    I was 5 and a half weeks pregnant planning on a termination but ended up having a miscarridge.
    Don't worry you have up to 12 weeks to have a termination and personally i would recommend waiting longer and go for surgical abortion.
    At your consultation you will speak to a nurse and she will check your blood pressure etc, then you will be seen by a doctor. The doctor will do an internal scan with a probe with a condom and lube - bit uncomfortable but doesnt hurt a bit.
    They will tell you if they concent the abortion (you have to give a reason why you want the abortion - mine was financially and mentally unstable and i felt too young)
    They then will tell you if they support the abortion or not. The doctor will ask you if you want a surgical or a medical abortion.
    After that you will go back to the nurse and they will tell you when your appointment is and what you have to take (slippers, £3.50 for t.v. and money for food and drink, sanitart pads etc). She will then book you an appointment and the gynecology ward.
    If you have a medical abortion, you will go, and take an oral pill. Then 2 days later you go back and have a pill placed at the top of your vagina, this is when you will need all the stuff mentioned above as you will be there most of the day, AND IN PAIN.

If you have the surgical termination, you will not be allowed to eat or drink for 24 hours before hand, and you will be admited into the day ward, and sent home at night. You have to be atleast 7 weeks pregnant for this option.
    You will be placed under general anesthetic and it will be sucked out of you. The advantage of this one is that there is NO PAIN - no contractions, and you dont see the foetus, like you would with the medical. Another downside with the medical is that not only do you see the foetus, but you also pass big blood clots the day after and for around a week after, and also, if you dont pass everything, you then have a second pill placed in, and if that doesnt work your kept in over night and have a surgical the next day.

You have plenty of time to make your options, and dont panic about the time, they wouldnt let you wait that long if there wasnt time.
    PM if you want some more advise and good luck

xxxxx

Thanks Feel less panicky now xx

ReputationRep:
    anytime. it was my first abortion and i was absolutly panning myself but it turns out i didnt need it anyway. just so you know, if your going with your boyfriend or someone, they will not be allowed in when you see the doctor. this is so that they can ask you if it is your choice and that your not being under pressure from anyone else. my boyfriend was a bit miffed when he was told he had to stay outside because he said he felt a prune with a load of females in the waiting room.
    Also, when you have the internal scan, you won't see the screen, so dont worry, you wont see the thing that is inside you. I call it the thing because it is what i called it and it helped me not get attached to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.