Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You don't seem too bothered by the idea of abortion. It scares me.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you both don't want it, then an abortion would be the best option..

Call me old fashioned but the thought of what it could do 2 both of our lives bothers me more.

Financially neither of us are in any situation to afford a pet, let alone a child. iv still got 2 years & a placement year at uni, she is in her final year and is unsure as to what she is going to do afterwards.

What is the earliest an abortion can take place, is there an earliest? from the (very limited) infomation the walk in centre could provide she is roughly 13 weeks into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Call me old fashioned but the thought of what it could do 2 both of our lives bothers me more.

Financially neither of us are in any situation to afford a pet, let alone a child. iv still got 2 years & a placement year at uni, she is in her final year and is unsure as to what she is going to do afterwards.

What is the earliest an abortion can take place, is there an earliest? from the (very limited) infomation the walk in centre could provide she is roughly 13 weeks into it.
    A woman can have an abortion at anytime up to the 24th week of her pregnancy. She can have an abortion now but the type of abortion she can have varies, if it's the first few weeks they give you a tablet that causes a chemical abortion (it basically causes a miscarriage), after a certain week they do a vacumm abortion (where they suck the baby out) and after that there is another one that's more invasive, I know they used to induce the labour and make you give birth to the child after it had been aborted if it is in the later weeks of the limit (but I'm not entirely sure if they still do this)

Sorry for being so graphic but you need to know how it's done before you can consider it.

I had an abortion at 7 weeks pregnant, so she should definitely be able to have one at 13 weeks. However, I think she will only be able to have the surgical abortion now, correct me if I'm wrong? Your doctor will advise you and your girlfriend about the procedure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Have you actually talked to her yet about what she wants, it seems all about you this does at the moment.

Also, just want to say, (I am not anti-abortion having had one myself), this is definitely a decision not to be taken too lightly, which I think is the mistake me and my boyfriend made. I have never been particularly fond of children, and could never see myself having any, yet after my abortion I felt really upset and had many regrets. I'm not saying don't have one, just make sure you are making the right decision for you both

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her about it. Abortion is a massive decision to make and one she will have to live with for the rest of her life. If either of you decide that you are morally against abortion, its going to be a tough conversation.

Talk to a proffessional about other options, but at 13 weeks, you havent got long to deicde what youre going to do, so act quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angrybanana)
    Your options are, as I see it;
    -Abortion
    -Have baby, give it up for adoption
    -Have baby, raise it together

What does the girl want to do? You may want an abortion but what if she wants to keep it?
    Of course they can also have the baby and bring it up alone, either one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, been going out with my gf for 19months and she has been on the pill throughout. She took a pregnancy test this morning (wasnt feeling well, been at the back of her mind) and it came back postitive. She went to a NHS walk in centre who were very unhelpful and just referred her to her docter. Problem being her docter is 80 miles away in her home town and she cant see them till friday. We are both 21, and both at university.

Just need some advice on what our options are going to be, abortion wise (any other options etc?).

Cheers guys
    This is from the Brook website:

How do I get an abortion?

To get an abortion on the NHS, you will need to be referred by a doctor to your local hospital or clinic. Your own GP, or a doctor at a local family planning clinic, or at Brook (if you are under 25) can do this. It is important to go along as soon as possible.

I'm 13 weeks pregnant. Can I get an abortion on the NHS?

It's important you act quickly. The normal legal limit for abortion is 24 weeks of pregnancy, but it's usually easiest to get an abortion through the NHS if you are under 12 weeks pregnant. Remember, the length of a pregnancy is worked out from the first day of your last period. There is usually a waiting list of between 2-4 weeks for an abortion on the NHS, so it is easier to arrange if you are under 8 weeks pregnant when you first seek help.

Do I have to pay for it?

You will not have to pay for an NHS abortion but you will have to pay if you are ineligible for an NHS abortion or if you choose to go privately.

What is the abortion pill and where can I get it?

The abortion pill is a form of abortion available to women who are under 9 weeks pregnant. The woman will be given a pill to swallow and 36 to 48 hours later a tablet will be placed in her vagina. These two drugs will end most early pregnancies within the following four hours. A minimum of 2 visits to a hospital or clinic are involved.

These are the different abortion methods from the NHS website

Vacuum aspiration or suction termination (from seven to 15 weeks of pregnancy)

Vacuum aspiration, or suction termination is a procedure that involves using gentle suction to remove the foetus from the womb. The procedure usually takes between five and 10 minutes, and can be carried out under a local or general anaesthetic.

The entrance to the womb (cervix) is dilated (opened) to allow access to the contents. To soften the cervix, and make it easier to open, a tablet may be placed in the vagina, a few hours before the abortion. A small, plastic suction tube, connected to a pump, is then inserted into the womb and used to remove the foetus and surrounding tissue.

After a vacuum aspiration abortion, you will usually be able to go home the same day. However, following the procedure, you may experience a little bleeding, for up to 14 days.

Late medical abortion (from 13 weeks of pregnancy)

As well as being used for early abortion, mifepristone and prostaglandin can also be used for abortion later in pregnancy. However, the abortion will take longer, and more than one dose of prostaglandin may be needed. This type of abortion is similar to having a late natural miscarriage. Following the procedure, you may be able to return home the same day, but sometimes an overnight stay in hospital is required.

Surgical dilation and evacuation (D&E) (from 15 weeks of pregnancy)

Surgical dilation and evacuation (D&E) is a procedure that is carried out under general anaesthetic. The neck of the womb (cervix) is gently stretched and dilated (opened), and forceps and a suction tube are used to remove the foetus. The procedure usually takes between 10-20 minutes to perform and, if you are healthy, and there are no complications, you may be able to return home the same day. You may have some bleeding after the abortion for up to 14 days.

Late abortion (20-24 weeks)

There are two options for a late abortion carried out between 20-24 weeks.

Surgical two-stage abortion:
    The first is known as a surgical two-stage abortion because there are two stages to it, each requiring a general anaesthetic. Stage one involves stopping the heart beat of the foetus and softening the neck of the womb (cervix). Stage two is carried out the following day and involves removing the foetus and surrounding tissue using the D&E method explained above. Surgical two-stage abortions usually require an overnight stay in hospital.

Medically induced abortion:

The second option, known as a medically induced abortion, is similar to a late natural miscarriage. The medicine prostaglandin is injected into the womb, causing it to contract strongly, as in labour. This can last for between six and 12 hours. During the process, you will remain awake and may be given medicines to control the pain. Afterwards, the D&E process, explained above, may be used to ensure that the womb is completely empty. You will usually need to stay overnight in hospital.

If, after having an abortion of any kind, you experience heavy bleeding, a lot of pain or a high temperature after leaving the hospital, you should seek medical help immediately.

Good luck with your decision but really think about what you both want before you rush into anything.x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    If they are in no place to have a baby financially, emotionally or mentally, then...well...thats the sensible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlylocks88)
    This is from the Brook website:

How do I get an abortion?

To get an abortion on the NHS, you will need to be referred by a doctor to your local hospital or clinic. Your own GP, or a doctor at a local family planning clinic, or at Brook (if you are under 25) can do this. It is important to go along as soon as possible.

I'm 13 weeks pregnant. Can I get an abortion on the NHS?

It's important you act quickly. The normal legal limit for abortion is 24 weeks of pregnancy, but it's usually easiest to get an abortion through the NHS if you are under 12 weeks pregnant. Remember, the length of a pregnancy is worked out from the first day of your last period. There is usually a waiting list of between 2-4 weeks for an abortion on the NHS, so it is easier to arrange if you are under 8 weeks pregnant when you first seek help.....
    rep.

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, been going out with my gf for 19months and she has been on the pill throughout. She took a pregnancy test this morning (wasnt feeling well, been at the back of her mind) and it came back postitive. She went to a NHS walk in centre who were very unhelpful and just referred her to her docter. Problem being her docter is 80 miles away in her home town and she cant see them till friday. We are both 21, and both at university.

Just need some advice on what our options are going to be, abortion wise (any other options etc?).

Cheers guys
    It could be false due to hormones from the pill
    x

Cheers guys

I had an abortion at 8 weeks pregnant just over a year ago. As far as I know, as your girlfriend is 13 weeks gone, she will be offered a surgical abortion. This is the type I had, and if you want any information on the reality of what happens, then just ask me and I will tell you anything you want to know.

Just a point though, if she is going to have an abortion, make sure you support her EVERY step of the way. My ex boyfriend forced me into the abortion, didn't support me and hasn't spoke to me since, after 4 years of being together. If you want any other info let me know

(Original post by curlylocks88)
    Surgical two-stage abortion:
    The first is known as a surgical two-stage abortion because there are two stages to it, each requiring a general anaesthetic. Stage one involves stopping the heart beat of the foetus and softening the neck of the womb (cervix). Stage two is carried out the following day and involves removing the foetus and surrounding tissue using the D&E method explained above. Surgical two-stage abortions usually require an overnight stay in hospital.

Worth thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Promesse)
    It could be false due to hormones from the pill
    x
    Nope, that's incorrect. The hormones in the pill are oestrogen and progesterone. Pregnancy tests detect the hormone HCG, which is only produced during pregnancy.
    Taking the pill does not affect pregnancy test reliability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    rep.
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    Nope, that's incorrect. The hormones in the pill are oestrogen and progesterone. Pregnancy tests detect the hormone HCG, which is only produced during pregnancy.
    Taking the pill does not affect pregnancy test reliability.
    Oh ok, sorry, I thought i'd heard that from a reliable source.
    x

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
    QFT. I found it odd myself.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    If they are in no place to have a baby financially, emotionally or mentally, then...well...thats the sensible option.
    Well maybe they should'nt be having sex then? Sex is natures tool for procreation. Sure its fun, but thats its main goal.

Tbh, the attitude and easiness of which he said "get an abortion" disgusts me, and not just for the usual moral stance. Talk about abdicating responsibility. You had a sexual relationship with a person, leading to a event which you seem dead set on getting out of.

Consider what may be in your arms in 9months time. Ignore the first feeling of shock, think of implications, then write having an abortion of blaisely.

She also might not be pregnant....

good luck man, i've been through this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.