Turn on thread page Beta

Pregnancy - information and questions watch

Announcements

(Original post by Meltdown30)
    A girl can get pregnant at any time of her cycle. It's most likely at ovulation (half way between two periods) but can happen at any time.

I'm confused by what you mean by jelly area? :confused:
    Thanks. By jelly area I mean the place the sperm swim up. I figured they couldn't swim up if there was no liquid, so it would be jelly-like?

Gave you +ve rep

Oops, had to delete and repost cause I wasn't anon...

ReputationRep:
    You can tell what gender Anon is can't you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but its pretty unlikely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    By jelly area I mean the place the sperm swim up. I figured they couldn't swim up if there was no liquid, so it would be jelly-like
    Brilliant. Would this jelly area be next to the ice-cream wall? Behind the syrup muscles?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, a girl can only get pregnant whilst she is on her period, although obviously you can't get pregnant if you have sex standing up. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I know this probably is a stupid question, but I've always been confused what the answer is.

If I'm right, there has to be an egg in the "jelly area" (outside the egg barracks) for the sperm to reach. Right? And I think eggs are only out of the barracks and in the jelly area while a girl is on her period?

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks.
    Are you serious? Do you not know how reproduction works? A girl has a period because the egg isn't fertilised and therefore doesn't implant in the womb. Just google it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I know this probably is a stupid question, but I've always been confused what the answer is.

If I'm right, there has to be an egg in the "jelly area" (outside the egg barracks) for the sperm to reach. Right? And I think eggs are only out of the barracks and in the jelly area while a girl is on her period?

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks.
    What's up with you and eggs and jelly?

Seriously, just call it the womb or the uterus.

You have alot to learn, son

ReputationRep:
    OP obviously missed sex education in school :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    you can get pregnant at any point in your cycle, like previous poster said it is most likely in the middle of your cycle...pregnancies however can also occur at other points when the egg is not in the uterus - i.e. pregnancies that occur in fallopian tubes

I took a pregnancy test today and it came out positive, but I've just come on my period. I'm eight days late. What should I do? Does that mean I'm pregnant or not? It's a really painful period, but mine often are!

ReputationRep:
    I took a pregnancy test today and it came out positive, but I've just come on my period. I'm eight days late. What should I do? Does that mean I'm pregnant or not? It's a really painful period, but mine often are!
    Book an appoitment with your GP. They will give you the best answer.

(Original post by 5697)
    Book an appoitment with your GP. They will give you the best answer.
    Yeah I did, had an early miscarriage. Oh well, we're not trying anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, had an early miscarriage. Oh well, we're not trying anyway.
    Im really sorry to hear that Even if you guys werent looking to have kids anytime soon it must still be a really sad thing to be going through

i was just wondering what is the chance of this is...?

ReputationRep:
    If used correctly they are highly effective to prevent pregnancy, figures on internet vary from between 85%-99% depending on where you read it from. However there is always a small risk that pregnancy can occur!

ReputationRep:
    The chance is very small that you could fall pregant whilst wearing a condom, but there is always that chance!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was like 3% or something, not entirely sure though

ReputationRep:
    condoms are 96% effective when used properly and consistantly

http://www.sexualityandu.ca/adults/c...ption-2-7.aspx

ReputationRep:
    If they are used correctly then how on earth could there still be a chance of getting pregnant if they are manufctured properly? This has always had me wondering!

Edit: for clarity im on about if the condom doesnt break or slip off how there ould still be a chance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2017
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.