Is LGBT taught in schools?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
If so, is it a subject or just apart of something bigger? I left school in 2011, so I wouldn't know.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah. Not as a subject itself, but as a part of PSHE.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah. Not as a subject itself, but as a part of PSHE.
Right, well they never had PSHE when I went to school, so I had to Google it to find out what it stood for, but I think it is a good subject.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
I wasn't really taught about it if I remember correctly. Maybe they very quickly mentioned gay relationships in sex ed but really nothing extensive.
Anonymous #1
I wasn't really taught about it if I remember correctly. Maybe they very quickly mentioned gay relationships in sex ed but really nothing extensive.
Right, I'm surprised there isn't a subject on it that teaches children it's fine to be what they want.
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it wasn't when i was in school.

i was in school 3 months ago.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Right, I'm surprised there isn't a subject on it that teaches children it's fine to be what they want.
I think it should be covered in PSHE lessons. We learned about many things like politics, taxes, (straight) sex ed etc, but LGBT was hardly mentioned! I think it should definitely be focused on from Year 7 when we start learning about more complicated issues.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Right, well they never had PSHE when I went to school, so I had to Google it to find out what it stood for, but I think it is a good subject.
I left school long before you and I had PSHE...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Drewski)
I left school long before you and I had PSHE...
Different schools teach different things.
justjas33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had PSHE days like once or twice a term in secondary school and that’s usually when we’d learn about stuff like that although I can’t recall us being taught about LGBTQ+ unfortunately :/
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you had an entire subject for LGBTQ you would need one for every other group that’s faced discrimination, so I assume it’s probably going to stay in PSHCE. And yes, our school does it quite a lot in assemblies. My only worry is I know of a girl who’s whole friendship group was a part of it in one way or another. No problem there! It’s just she felt she has to be a part of It or she won’t fit in, which is ridiculous!
I wish she knew she doesn’t have to change anything, that she would be whoever she wants to be
ClaudiaVan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a non binary person I’ve taught teachers through LGBT workshops so they can inspire and have the knowledge to work with students to educate them on LGBT matters.

Personally if you are going to teach about anatomy and relationships between heterosexual individuals they should teach about all sexualities and genders.

(I’m a Sessional Theatre Arts Lecturer with a Post Secondary PCGE in Art, Design and Media and a First Class BA in Theatre Technologies. I’m about to study an MA in Inclusive Arts Practice)
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes in primary. everyone already knows about it in secondary. most people knew about it before we got taught it in primary anyway
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One lesson. And that was basically just looking at the Genderbread Person.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RationaleLogic)
Yes which is pretty sad that they’re trying to indoctrinate kids
People have done homosexual acts since the beginning of humanity.
justjas33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes which is pretty sad that they’re trying to indoctrinate kids
Oh gosh not this argument again. LBGTQ+ is an essential part of life that kids should be taught - if homosexual relationships are taught then what’s wrong with any other type of relationship being taught?? And while we’re at it LBGTQ+ history should be taught as well
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
People have murdered since the start of humanity, what’s your point?
Homosexuality has existed through out human history- its not unnatural.
It doesn't harm anyone. Where as murder most certainly does harm people.
TheCoolBro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think it should be taught. It'll just confuse kids tbh.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Again just because something has existed throughout all of humanity doesn’t make it right. Your logic means consensual incest is ok
Does incest harm people? Potentially. If contraception isn't used, it can have consequences for many generations. If the sex was truely consentual and there was no element of coercive control, its quite frankly none of my business anyway.

Does homosexuality harm people? In short, no.
Last edited by glassalice; 3 weeks ago
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheCoolBro)
I don't think it should be taught. It'll just confuse kids tbh.
Surely kids would be more confused about the existence of LGBT+ people if they aren't taught about them? And that's putting aside the fact that said kids could be LGBT+ themselves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (53)
8.75%
Confident (80)
13.2%
Indifferent (85)
14.03%
Unsure (156)
25.74%
Worried (232)
38.28%

Watched Threads