The Student Room Group

Would Britain have had an Empire without slavery?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Napp
What have i given up on sorry?

You said you weren't sure where to start, I suggested a simple web search which would be articles, you said you wanted academic books, I said these articles if not sufficient reference such. books books . . . I'm sure you could have thought of these solutions yourself
Reply 41
Original post by NJA
You said you weren't sure where to start, I suggested a simple web search which would be articles, you said you wanted academic books, I said these articles if not sufficient reference such. books books . . . I'm sure you could have thought of these solutions yourself

It wasnt a literal comment.. more pointing out the vast breadth of of the topic. Not that one is such an defective i cant point and shoot.
Original post by NJA
Working in the cotton mills for low wages and being stuck in poor accommodation was better than slavery, but not much, so there were a few enlightened employers who cared for their employees even providing nice accommodation.

noo, I wasn't comparing mill workers to slaves. I meant because of the cotton trade. but yes :smile:
Original post by NJA
Some of us have a noble beginning as a result of a loving relationship others such as those that were adopted, myself included, were the results of less noble things, we have no control over our beginning though we can be thankful that we exist, but we do have control over what happens next . . . .according to what we select to believe concerning ourselves

What an amazing way of looking at things.
Reply 44
The people that say no to the original question often argue that the French are some other power would have exploited slavery if we hadn't. Even if this is true the British case shows that much of the money didn't go to the furtherance of industry but to private stashes of wealth, also so the British could have have instituted a paid labour system like they had in Britain and elsewhere, after all people wanted our products. Also the need for machinery to replace humans would have increased the incentive develop these things.

So my tentative conclusion is yes Britain could have had an Empire without slavery, whether it would have, who. can say? I'd say probably and probably better!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest