Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm registering officially at my sixth form on Monday and I was previously down to do:
    English Lit
    History
    Economics
    Maths

I got my GCSE results yesterday and Maths was the only one I didn't get an A* in (I got an A). I'm wondering whether i should change from doing maths to a science or a language? My ambition is to read PPE at Oxford - I really need some advice...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh my god, you got an A. :rolleyes: No, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

If you feel like you'd be more comfortable doing a science or language, then do so. Languages and sciences are well respected by unis, as is maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice, inksplodge
    Its just that Oxford puts maths in its 'useful' (not required or recommended) category for PPE. Will not taking maths be a major disadvantage? Are there any PPEists out there who didn't take maths at a level?

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine doing A-Level Maths with an A at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to study PPE at York in October - I didn't apply to Oxbridge this time round so can't comment there so much. However...

I studied History, Eng Lit, Geog and Econ at A Level. I loved all of the subjects I took but I really wish I'd taken at least AS-Level Maths, but having 'only' got an A at GCSE didn't think I was good enough. I regret the decision as York certainly recomend at least AS Level Maths for any course related to Economics. From what I gather, the Economics you study at A Level is very different from the quantitive take on things you'll encounter at University.

However, it is very much your call, as you have no idea how much your mind will chance in the next few years; do what you are good at and what you enjoy. No point banging your head against a brick wall with subjects you think you 'should' do.

With grades like yours at GCSE, however, you shouldn't encounter too many problems with AS, whatever you opt for. Best of luck and enjoy your studies.

Tx

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine with an A at GCSE. I don't think taking A-Level Maths ever puts someone at a disadvantage! It is an extremely well-respected subject.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be absolutely fine. I think maybe you knew that that was a bit of a silly question?

ReputationRep:
    Do Maths, even if you do it was one of 4 AS levels and drop it at the end of that year, having that will help for applying for PPE as the economics component will contain some maths (not as much as for a single honours economics course but enough to say that an AS or A-level in maths makes life a lot easier when it comes to doing a PPE degree).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.