The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Uni Diversity

Hi everyone.

Coming up to results day, I want to make sure I have all my bases covered and that I'm ready for whatever, and since Exeter University is my insurance choice, I want to make sure that I'm 100% happy with going there if I do not make it into my firm choice (knock on wood I do).

I've heard a lot of rumours that Exeter is one of the worst unis in terms of diversity and that it has had a few race scandals in the past. For me, diversity never used to be a terribly important thing, but as of recent, I've gotten slightly worried about discrimination and having trouble making friends/fitting in because I'm a person of colour. I would just like to know how Exeter is on the everyday, and if there is any prevalent racism or anything like that - even backhanded comments or hidden racism are issues which I'm worried about too.

I also know that Exeter has one of the highest proportions of private school students at it, some 34%, compared with my firm, Bath at 27%. I'm coming from a grammar school, but I'm still a bit worried about the stereotypes of snobbishness and stuff , and obviously it's not everyone, but still.

I'm really happy with how the Economics department is at Exeter, however, and have no doubt of their research quality and teaching, it's just these things which worry me a bit.

Thanks!
bump?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by econhelp525
bump?

Do you mean racially?
It's pretty white and there will be racists like everywhere but they’ll obviously be a minority. The private school percentage is also quite high but state school students are the majority. Do you really think you’ll notice the 7% difference?

I think things like this are quite a small deal. Irrelevant of race or schooling, most ppl are nice ppl.

It’s also quite hard to predict each years demographics as it obviously changes

I don’t think you should worry about **** like that
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by econhelp525
Hi everyone.

Coming up to results day, I want to make sure I have all my bases covered and that I'm ready for whatever, and since Exeter University is my insurance choice, I want to make sure that I'm 100% happy with going there if I do not make it into my firm choice (knock on wood I do).

I've heard a lot of rumours that Exeter is one of the worst unis in terms of diversity and that it has had a few race scandals in the past. For me, diversity never used to be a terribly important thing, but as of recent, I've gotten slightly worried about discrimination and having trouble making friends/fitting in because I'm a person of colour. I would just like to know how Exeter is on the everyday, and if there is any prevalent racism or anything like that - even backhanded comments or hidden racism are issues which I'm worried about too.

I also know that Exeter has one of the highest proportions of private school students at it, some 34%, compared with my firm, Bath at 27%. I'm coming from a grammar school, but I'm still a bit worried about the stereotypes of snobbishness and stuff , and obviously it's not everyone, but still.

I'm really happy with how the Economics department is at Exeter, however, and have no doubt of their research quality and teaching, it's just these things which worry me a bit.

Thanks!

Hi my sister goes to Exeter and I'm likely to go in September.We are both state school and all her housemates are but they do call it Surrey by the Sea.We are from the South West.There are a lot of international students but it's not very diverse re UK bame students.I know that there have been problems with a law group.There has been quite a prominent zero tolerance protest campaign and I believe the student population were very vocal about the law society racism.Sorry I can't help further.Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest