Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddles x)
    thanks x i was meant to go to a party today and im not allowed i was meant to get a haircut and im not allowed and i was meant to get a new phone and im not allowed. i feel sorry for my yunger sister there really hard on her beccause 'they dont want her turning out like me' she cant do anything either.
    I really can't believe your parents can be so unfair.
    Most parents should support their kids in whatever they do, not put them down like this.
    They should be thankful you didn't get Es in everything.
    They shouldn't compare you to your siblings either.
    Tell them to get a life and realise there are more important things than GCSE grades FFS

PS I would be overjoyed if I got Bs in everything

ReputationRep:
    Its probably thise damned grade boundries.

I think if they had get the boundry the same in one of the maths exams we did as the boundry the year before there would have been 85 a*s in our year instead of 25

I have pushy parents too and high exceptations to live up to (14 cousins on one side with only 2b's between them) but I just ignore it...
    If your college's requirements were B's and only rejecting you because you didn't get A's then appeal. (sorry if this dont make sense) But if you do appeal make sure you have a backup college ready if you don't suceed..

Look closely at the grade boundries + if you are within 5 marks of the nect boundry then ask for remarks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    Oh FFS. Give me your phone number. I'll make them cry.

lol. Thanks x but there hard to make cry.

ReputationRep:
    and my parents want me to re sit the exams while im at college.
    Yes, because that's the best advice in the world. Resit 20 or so exams whilst studying AS and A2's. What a ****ing GREAT idea.

They have serious issues. Tell them that Kitty said to get over themselves.

You are worth the best universities this country has to offer you; grades don't always reflect how hard a person has worked, and most universities will recognise that.

ReputationRep:
    my college requirements are B's But i was predicted A's so thats why they let me in also because of extra stuff i do. But now as i have B's and not A's and there are other people with A's wanting to go into that school they wont let me in.

ReputationRep:
    ****TT
    thats a lot.

I'd retake the important ones e.g maths eng science IF i had to.

But honestly, there are SO many colleges/sixth forms that will take you with any grade!

you dont need to go to the best college.
    I'm just staying on at my crappy schools sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Its probably thise damned grade boundries.

I think if they had get the boundry the same in one of the maths exams we did as the boundry the year before there would have been 85 a*s in our year instead of 25

I have pushy parents too and high exceptations to live up to (14 cousins on one side with only 2b's between them) but I just ignore it...
    If your college's requirements were B's and only rejecting you because you didn't get A's then appeal. (sorry if this dont make sense) But if you do appeal make sure you have a backup college ready if you don't suceed..

Look closely at the grade boundries + if you are within 5 marks of the nect boundry then ask for remarks...

i will have a few of them remarked...

nice signature ... wicked!

thanks everyone it feels good to talk about this with other people rather than myself on my bed listening to music.n

ReputationRep:
    Bs are not bad grades. As long as you worked you have nothing to feel bad about, be proud of what you got and don't let your parents take it away from you, Bs are still a good achievement.
    As for what you have said about college, why do your parents have to like the college you go to? You are the one going to be spending 2 years there and quite frankly if you end up going to a college your parents like but you don't then you are unlikely to be driven to work as hard as you would if you enjoyed the college.
    And you say your parents want you to resit some of your GCSEs, my best advice here is whatever you do, don't resit them. In the grand scheme of things your results are better than a lot of peoples and when it comes to university applications, the vast majority of Unis pay very little attention to GCSE results and only a very small number require a certain number of GCSEs above a certain grade.
    Also, I know from personal experience that it is very possible to turn things around from GCSEs to AS and A2s. I just finished my AS year and in GCSEs I got 3A* (sciences which I have always found easy), 1A, 5B, 1C but for AS levels I got AAAAC so you can turn it around.

ReputationRep:

thanks everyone it feels good to talk about this with other people rather than myself on my bed listening to music.n
    First of all, Wicked does rock. A lot. :cool: Saw it on Broadway in 2003. ****ing amazing.

Secondly, you're welcome; it's what we're here for.

ReputationRep:
    can i ask why you are doing 6AS's? That seems a bit extreme and you might be better off doing the usual 4 and doing well in those rather than 6AS's and badly in them.

Also, your parents are being a bit harsh. Your results arent that bad, most unis focus more on A levels anyway, altho it does depend on the course you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    i think im just not convinced i can go a good uni with these results. the college matters to my parents because it has to be the best one in our area.

i have never seen my parents so mad. im like the child that has messed up.
    i will have some papers remarked and im not sure about resitting them because in doing 6as and 5a levels and doing gcse's at the same time will be hard but my parents insist on resitting them. i want to dig a hole and live in it.

ReputationRep:
    i think im just not convinced i can go a good uni with these results. the college matters to my parents because it has to be the best one in our area.

i have never seen my parents so mad. im like the child that has messed up.
    i will have some papers remarked and im not sure about resitting them because in doing 6as and 5a levels and doing gcse's at the same time will be hard but my parents insist on resitting them. i want to dig a hole and live in it.
    I want to dig a hole and bury them in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    can i ask why you are doing 6AS's? That seems a bit extreme and you might be better off doing the usual 4 and doing well in those rather than 6AS's and badly in them.

Also, your parents are being a bit harsh. Your results arent that bad, most unis focus more on A levels anyway, altho it does depend on the course you want to do.

well what i want t o do doesnt exsist no more ... i want to do geography at uni !! but NO in my house geography wont get you no where and its not worth me doing sseing as i hate science i didnt take any of them for A level although my parents did try and bribe me. So i cant do geography and they think i should do maths or law.

but i really want to study the earth ... volcanoes and earthquakes and climate and weather etc... i love geography. - oh and i might not be able to take it as an Alevel because i got a C in it when on my mock i got an A and the coursework is an A* and its odd that NO ONE IN MY YEAR got above a C ... something is wrong there im guessing.

ReputationRep:
    You have every right to be proud of what you got, and your parents have no right to make you feel bad about it. As for college, look around a bit - if your first choice won't take you, there are still loads that will. They might not be selective or anything, but that doesn't make them bad places - I just went to the little school 6th Form down the road from my high school, it was tiny, in a fiarly deprived area, and you start year 12 in a year full of chavs, but I've had the best two years of my life and come away with 3As. It's very unfair of your parents to compare you to your siblings, too - something you should tell them.

Out of interest, what were your brothers reactions to your results?

ReputationRep:
    i will have a few of them remarked...

thank you (saw alexia khadime and going back to see Kerry Ellis next year) and it always does feel better to talk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma the Hippy)
    You have every right to be proud of what you got, and your parents have no right to make you feel bad about it. As for college, look around a bit - if your first choice won't take you, there are still loads that will. They might not be selective or anything, but that doesn't make them bad places - I just went to the little school 6th Form down the road from my high school, it was tiny, in a fiarly deprived area, and you start year 12 in a year full of chavs, but I've had the best two years of my life and come away with 3As. It's very unfair of your parents to compare you to your siblings, too - something you should tell them.

Out of interest, what were your brothers reactions to your results?
    they laughed and told my parents that what you get for giving me freedom (shopping with my friends and getting a phone and buying a bag) they said to me what happened to the A's ... and they said i shold have worded harder and then they bragged about their results.

ReputationRep:
    Try telling my parents B's are good. My dad shouted down the phone my mum blames herself for not pushing me enough and my brothers got mainly A*'s so i have to live up to them.

i think what bothers my the most is that i cant go to my chosen college becuase of the results. Y'day another of the colleges i applied for rang up and asked how results went, i was upset and said i didnt get my predicted grades but thank you very much.

its worse when everyone expects you to be the best at everything and get A's in them all i knew iwasnt but i was expecting a few A's to be honest. especially in the subjects im taking.

Seeing my parents so disappointed was the worst, all they keep on saying is how i slacked and have ruined my future now.

i still think this is all a dream and im going to wake up and my mums going to tell me t o pick up the results and im going to open them and they are going to be what i expected.
    Your grades are good! My parents are the same my cousin got hers yesterday and they were better then mine! Btw I took my GCSEs like 4 years ago and they're saying you could of done better now! :rolleyes:

I say stick it to their faces next year when you get your AS results!

ReputationRep:
    Try telling my parents B's are good. My dad shouted down the phone my mum blames herself for not pushing me enough and my brothers got mainly A*'s so i have to live up to them.
    More than happy to - your parents are being incredibly immature. (Well done on the grades BTW - anyone coming out with a string of grades above C has done brilliantly). With exams, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I got unlucky with my A-Levels. I should have got AABC but came out with ABBD because of a couple of really bad exams which TBH you really cannot compensate for.

It sounds like you need support in the face of disappointment and all you are receiving is punishment.

It sounds like your parents see your exam results as a judgement on themselves - that you had to get top results so that they could go round to their social group to say "Oh, our daughter came away with a clutch of As for her GCSEs, aren't we wonderful parents!" I saw this mindset all the way through school, college and university. All my siblings and I went through university, went to "good" universities and all got 2:1s, leaving a string of graduation photos on the piano (that no one plays!) for all and sundry to see. Didn't change the fact that I had a miserable time at university (I'm still on medication as a result of it) and that the standard of my course was very low - using my A-Level revision notes as the basis for the notes for my finals. But hey, the university is still highly respected, as is the subject. But academic certificates don't show the stories behind the grades.

i think what bothers my the most is that i cant go to my chosen college becuase of the results. Y'day another of the colleges i applied for rang up and asked how results went, i was upset and said i didnt get my predicted grades but thank you very much.
    What grades was the college asking for? Have things really changed over the past 10 years where colleges are now asking people for all As to get in to do A-Levels? (I went to Hills Road in Cambridge - one of the top-scoring colleges in the country and even they didn't insist on that.)

its worse when everyone expects you to be the best at everything and get A's in them all i knew iwasnt but i was expecting a few A's to be honest. especially in the subjects im taking.

Seeing my parents so disappointed was the worst, all they keep on saying is how i slacked and have ruined my future now.

i still think this is all a dream and im going to wake up and my mums going to tell me t o pick up the results and im going to open them and they are going to be what i expected.
    You have not ruined your future at all - there's a greater risk that their bad attitudes will have a negative impact on your future.

Middle England is stuck in this mindset of life being made up of the following:

Born-nursery-good school (all As)-good college(all As)-top university(respectable subject and a 2:1 minimum)-good job-marry-children-retire-die

As a 16 year old I was a firm believer of the above and that anyone who fell off the above was a failure condemned to a menial existence to serve those of us who remained on it - until I came perilously close to falling off it myself.

Have a look at http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...hips.annekarpf

There is a similar article written around the same time featuring a mother who sees herself as a failure because out of her 3 children who went to university, 1 dropped out and the other two graduated with low scores and didn't go into high-flying graduate jobs.

What should matter is the amount of effort you put in, and what you learnt from the experience. It's hard enough dealing with the judgement of an over-worked and underpaid examiner without having the extra judgement that comes from people over your grades.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sorry for you But just keep tellng yourself that B's are STILL GREAT GRADES that many people would kill for. Just out of curiosity.... what education have your parents had? Grades etc? Jobs? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    they laughed and told my parents that what you get for giving me freedom (shopping with my friends and getting a phone and buying a bag) they said to me what happened to the A's ... and they said i shold have worded harder and then they bragged about their results.

Well your family are nice....

Even though they are going about it in completely the wrong way at least you know that your parents want the best for you and actually give a damn about what you do.
    I say just work your butt of at a level to prove to them that you aren't a failiure and getting B's isn't the end of the world.

you'll find college, where bouts do you want to go to college (if you don't mind) ... Search on google to try and find some good ones

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.