The Student Room Group

Law and Spanish Law at KCL (or French/German law)

I posted this on the Law forum but it isn't getting any replies:

Hello my school is beginning the process for UCAS applications next year and I'm looking into courses to apply for, drafting a personal statement etc.

I'm interested in studying Law with Spanish Language or Spanish Law and the course at King's really appeals to me because it's dual qualifying and I get to study for 2 years in Barcelona.

However, the information on their website is kinda lacking (I'm assuming it's because the course is ran by 2 unis) and as it's a relatively new course there's nothing on TSR or online about the course.

So (sorry this is getting long) has anyone here studied the course or King's Law with French/German law and could give me a bit of an insight or answer some of my questions. Information about Law with Spanish (language or law) at other universities would also be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I really wanna do this course. How are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by sofisofia
Hi, I really wanna do this course. How are you doing?

Hey, since posting this I received a conditional offer from KCL and therefore hopefully if I get the grades in August I'll be going in September. I'm not sure how helpful I'll be but if you've any questions go ahead :smile:
Original post by aarondc249
Hey, since posting this I received a conditional offer from KCL and therefore hopefully if I get the grades in August I'll be going in September. I'm not sure how helpful I'll be but if you've any questions go ahead :smile:

Hey I have also received a conditional offer for Law with Spanish Law at KCL! I haven't really heard of other people doing this degree!
Original post by pattyclarke2003
Hey I have also received a conditional offer for Law with Spanish Law at KCL! I haven't really heard of other people doing this degree!

omg I'm so happy for you! Did you do A-level Spanish? I'm in year 12 and I don't do A level Spanish but I'm fluent in Spanish do you think they'll give me an offer?
Reply 5

Yeah you’re the first person I’ve come across with an offer for it! Have you firmed KCL?
Reply 6
omg I'm so happy for you! Did you do A-level Spanish? I'm in year 12 and I don't do A level Spanish but I'm fluent in Spanish do you think they'll give me an offer?

I did A Level Spanish but I remember hearing that they do accept fluent Spanish speakers who haven’t done an A Level in it as long as it’s mentioned in your personal statement but I’d maybe email admissions in case you need to provide evidence or something.
I did A Level Spanish but I remember hearing that they do accept fluent Spanish speakers who haven’t done an A Level in it as long as it’s mentioned in your personal statement but I’d maybe email admissions in case you need to provide evidence or something.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm so relieved now. I've contacted them and I'm just waiting for a response but they take ages to reply. Is it really hard to get into KCL? Especially that course
Yeah you’re the first person I’ve come across with an offer for it! Have you firmed KCL?

Yes I've firmed KCL! Have you? The course looks really good doesn't it, where are you from?
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm so relieved now. I've contacted them and I'm just waiting for a response but they take ages to reply. Is it really hard to get into KCL? Especially that course

I’d say it’s difficult in the sense that the course has high entry requirements but with a solid personal statement I’d say it’s doable. The course itself is relatively new so it doesn’t necessarily have the same level of demand as other law courses at KCL so that works in your favour - I believe this year will be the 3rd group of students to begin the course since it began.
Yes I've firmed KCL! Have you? The course looks really good doesn't it, where are you from?

Yeah it looks great - I’m from Northern Ireland, what about yourself?
I’d say it’s difficult in the sense that the course has high entry requirements but with a solid personal statement I’d say it’s doable. The course itself is relatively new so it doesn’t necessarily have the same level of demand as other law courses at KCL so that works in your favour - I believe this year will be the 3rd group of students to begin the course since it began.

Oh okay, what grades did you get when you applied through UCAS? If you don't mind telling me.
Oh okay, what grades did you get when you applied through UCAS? If you don't mind telling me.

I had a predicted of A*A*AA
I had a predicted of A*A*AA

wow what subjects did you do?
wow what subjects did you do?

Spanish, French, Business Studies, Philosophy and Ethics
Hey everyone, I've also firmed Kings for Law w/ Spanish Law! Such a relief to find others on this course haha x
Original post by xAstrologer
Hey everyone, I've also firmed Kings for Law w/ Spanish Law! Such a relief to find others on this course haha x

Ah cool it’s great to find some more people :smile:
Hi guys, I need to start writing my personal statement soon and I don't know how to start it! I really wanna do this course at university, could you give me some tips? I'm doing A level Maths, Law and Criminology and I'm also gonna try to do A-level Spanish because I contacted the university and they said it's a requirement even though I'm fluent.
Hi guys, I need to start writing my personal statement soon and I don't know how to start it! I really wanna do this course at university, could you give me some tips? I'm doing A level Maths, Law and Criminology and I'm also gonna try to do A-level Spanish because I contacted the university and they said it's a requirement even though I'm fluent.

Hey sorry for the late reply. My personal statement was quite academic focusing on wider reading I’d done, videos I’d watched etc. they were all law-related and this way I could link it back to specific areas of the law I was interested in and to demonstrate why I wanted to pursue the course.
I’d also link you’re A Levels subjects in briefly and try to relate them to the course - for example your maths studies have allowed you to develop analytical skills which you can apply to your studies and future career.
If you can also try and link in Spain and Spanish and explain why you want to study Spanish law as well that will be a bonus.
If you’re also able to do some virtual work experience or in person experience that is related to law that can give you stuff to write about but don’t worry if you can’t because King’s aren’t expecting people to have any law related experience prior to the course.

Hope this helps - also some advice I got from teachers was when you’d finished writing a sentence on your P.S ask yourself “so what?” this was so you could assess whether or not what you’d wrote was actually meaningful and useful in explaining why you want to study law or if it was just filler that should be removed as you don’t have a lot of characters to write with.
Yeah it looks great - I’m from Northern Ireland, what about yourself?

I'm from Manchester, not gonna lie very nervous about moving to London and all. Which halls u in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending