The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

uk benefit is too generous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Burridge
You've banded around this figure of 3 million repeatedly but you're either being ignorant or misleading. Workless households - as per the ONS definition - are "households where no one aged 16 years or over is in employment. These members may be unemployed or economically inactive. Economically inactive members may be unavailable to work because of family commitments, retirement or study, or unable to work through sickness or disability."

The figure of 3 million includes all pensioners and disabled households.

Care to reevaluate your facts?

Am sure the authors wanted to add the list of reasons as economically inactive members unavailable to work : lazy benefit shysters, welfare paid more, cant be bothered etc etc but the snowflakes pc leftie brigade would have been uproar for pointing out the truth for once!
Also use of the word disabled is one of most abused terms in society anybody can deem themselves to be that and when free cash is on offer why not, hence you see people claiming to be disabled then getting caught doing gymnastics or skiing hmmm
Original post by monkeybest
Am sure the authors wanted to add the list of reasons as economically inactive members unavailable to work : lazy benefit shysters, welfare paid more, cant be bothered etc etc but the snowflakes pc leftie brigade would have been uproar for pointing out the truth for once!
Also use of the word disabled is one of most abused terms in society anybody can deem themselves to be that and when free cash is on offer why not, hence you see people claiming to be disabled then getting caught doing gymnastics or skiing hmmm

So to catch that tiny minority of surreptitious benefit skiers and covert welfare gymnasts, the majority must be punished? Hmm. These people spend all their money back into large businesses, landlords and utilities anyway, so taking away their money wouldn't exactly boost the economy. As a proud member of the 'snowflakes pc leftie brigade', my job is to go through life not ranting hatefully about 'lazy benefit shysters', and not voting for politicians who perpetuate that stereotype. That's actually not a very difficult job, and is probably easier than feeling perpetually embittered about a tiny minority who scam the system while, by some stroke of genius, still being poor by UK standards.
Essentially in this country you can choose 2 tracks in life

1. Work your butt off, go to Uni accumulate 30k in debt, get a mortgage of 200k to live in a tiny pokey place keep working endlessly with debt everywhere and pass this ethos on to your children who repeats the cycle. All your income goes in tax tax more tax and you essentially have nothing to show for it at the end of all your years of toil.

2. Or the alternative strategy in life leave school at 16 claim housing benefit, jsa/esa, tax credits even though you've never paid tax, clothing grants, this benefit that benefit get a rent free council house when you need a bigger council house just bang a couple of kids out for a free upgrade, pass this ethos onto your kids who do exactly the same and it becomes an unbreakable cycle. Live life knowing your income is guaranteed and tax free, watch tv all day including binge watching netflix all day and smoking as its something to do right and given you are not paying for it its the working tax paying fools that are then why not?

Can you see why millions opt for the 2nd option and only fools opt for the first one?
Essentially in this country you can choose 2 tracks in life

1. Work your butt off, go to Uni accumulate 30k in debt, get a mortgage of 200k to live in a tiny pokey place keep working endlessly with debt everywhere and pass this ethos on to your children who repeats the cycle. All your income goes in tax tax more tax and you essentially have nothing to show for it at the end of all your years of toil.

2. Or the alternative strategy in life leave school at 16 claim housing benefit, jsa/esa, tax credits even though you've never paid tax, clothing grants, this benefit that benefit get a rent free council house when you need a bigger council house just bang a couple of kids out for a free upgrade, pass this ethos onto your kids who do exactly the same and it becomes an unbreakable cycle. Live life knowing your income is guaranteed and tax free, watch tv all day including binge watching netflix all day and smoking as its something to do right and given you are not paying for it its the working tax paying fools that are then why not?

Can you see why millions opt for the 2nd option and only fools opt for the first one?

If you take option 1 and have nothing to show for it then you are doing it wrong. Which you must be as you fancy option 2. I am sorry that your career is currently not working for you but either take option 2 or stop moaning about paying tiny amounts of tax each month.
Reply 84
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
I know too many who exploit the system. no working is easy and make more money. lol. not complaining money in my pocket

OMG agree! I have these neighbours who are literally LOADED. They claim all the benefits that possibly exist, they all exaggerate their so-called 'disablities' to get disability cars. None of them work. None of them contribute to society. They just keep popping out babies and rinsing the government!! Then theres people like my dad, working his ass off. I barely get to see him because he's always at work. Whilst people like this just sit at home all day with not a worry in the world, getting everything handed to them!!!

I didn’t ask for a rant, I asked for you to expand on the 3m figure. Again, can you provide a breakdown of that number? We know that it includes those classed as disabled and pensioners.

Since about 1/5th of the population is over 65, my guess is that about half of that 3 million number includes households that are retired. Your numbers are already starting to look a bit slimmer aren’t they?

It’s clear that you don’t like people on benefits. We can have a discussion about that when you brings some facts and evidence to the table. How many people that claim benefits do so fraudulently? How many are ‘lazy shysters’? How many disabled people get caught doing gymnastics? I don’t want a link to an article detailing a single case of fraud, I wan’t some evidence that backs-up some of the statements you’re making.

Bigotry aside, let’s have a fact-based discussion about the welfare state. I want to hear numbers.
Original post by 12HoltE
OMG agree! I have these neighbours who are literally LOADED. They claim all the benefits that possibly exist, they all exaggerate their so-called 'disablities' to get disability cars. None of them work. None of them contribute to society. They just keep popping out babies and rinsing the government!! Then theres people like my dad, working his ass off. I barely get to see him because he's always at work. Whilst people like this just sit at home all day with not a worry in the world, getting everything handed to them!!!

You won’t find a single person on this forum who condones defrauding the welfare state. Anyone who bemoans the benefits system because of the fraud that goes on has their priorities mixed up; you should redirect your efforts to minimising the fraud and campaigning for loopholes to be tightened rather than ranting about the welfare state in general.

If you really think that your neighbours are defrauding the system then report them.

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
No the benefits system is a joke and is too easy to scam with zero vetting just write some fancy crap on a form and watch the cash roll in only its not your cash is it?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7925041/Benefits-cheat-claimed-afraid-leave-house-filmed-climbing-lorries.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324035/75-incapacity-claimants-fit-work-Benefits-test-weeds-workshy.html

Out of about 840,000 who tried to obtain the £95-a-week Employment and Support Allowance, 640,000 were told they were fit for work, or withdrew their applications before they took the tests suggesting they were ‘trying it on’.

That is incredible in itself that so many were getting away it so easily over the years as they simply just filled in forms exadurated the crap out of what they could do, there was zero checking or vetting of anything. Once they realised the game was up they were shy to go to their assessment as I doubt they knew how to put on an act in front of them either

What has changed now? Not a lot just a new generation of benefit claimants probably direct descendents of previous benefit junkies

As I said above only fools work, rack up Uni debit and mortgages. Why bother when the state will fund you to sit on your butt all day caning netflix and smoking also?
How much tax does the average welfare junkie contribute?

People on benefits still pay council tax

How much tax do you contribute?
(edited 3 years ago)
No the benefits system is a joke and is too easy to scam with zero vetting just write some fancy crap on a form and watch the cash roll in only its not your cash is it?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7925041/Benefits-cheat-claimed-afraid-leave-house-filmed-climbing-lorries.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324035/75-incapacity-claimants-fit-work-Benefits-test-weeds-workshy.html

Out of about 840,000 who tried to obtain the £95-a-week Employment and Support Allowance, 640,000 were told they were fit for work, or withdrew their applications before they took the tests suggesting they were ‘trying it on’.

That is incredible in itself that so many were getting away it so easily over the years as they simply just filled in forms exadurated the crap out of what they could do, there was zero checking or vetting of anything. Once they realised the game was up they were shy to go to their assessment as I doubt they knew how to put on an act in front of them either

What has changed now? Not a lot just a new generation of benefit claimants probably direct descendents of previous benefit junkies

As I said above only fools work, rack up Uni debit and mortgages. Why bother when the state will fund you to sit on your butt all day caning netflix and smoking also?

You’ve already said the above. If that many dropped out, it is probably to do with dehumanising way these people are treated by assessment centres.

That being said, you don’t pay much tax and you still use public facilities and get your bins collected so are definitely getting your moneys worth. And what exactly would you do with your £100 extra per month? Save humanity and cure cancer? No you’d waste it on crap you resent other people getting. Things you could probably afford if you managed your money better. Even when I earned minimum wage, I still had an iPhone and money for nights out. You act like working is all labour and no fun. Do you have a lot of credit card debt? Or are you struggling to get decent hours? What is so wrong with your life that you could be jealous of the poorest in society?
(edited 3 years ago)
I'll, tell you what is to ginormous my c*ck.
Original post by FingersXedAgain
You’ve already said the above. If that many dropped out, it is probably to do with dehumanising way these people are treated by assessment centres.

That being said, you don’t pay much tax and you still use public facilities and get your bins collected so are definitely getting your moneys worth. And what exactly would you do with your £100 extra per month? Save humanity and cure cancer? No you’d waste it on crap you resent other people getting. Things you could probably afford if you managed your money better. Even when I earned minimum wage, I still had an iPhone and money for nights out. You act like working is all labour and no fun. Do you have a lot of credit card debt? Or are you struggling to get decent hours? What is so wrong with your life that you could be jealous of the poorest in society?

The only dehumanising thing that happened to them is being caught out finally for being complete shysters thats why they dont show up for being assessed!

Those on welfare pay zero tax, still have their bins collected still have a roof over their hood food on the table and pocket money also to spend on alcohol, netflix etc They are defo getting their moneys worth considering they contribute jack all to begin with. I save ever heard that SAVE?? For a rainy day so I dont need running to the bank of other peoples cash at the first sign on trouble. I dont use credit cards as I live within by means, try telling that to the welfare brigade who rack up thousands on credit cards buying crap online then wonder how to pay it back?!!

How can you call these the poorest? If you compare their income to effort ratio they are some of the richest in the country!!
The only dehumanising thing that happened to them is being caught out finally for being complete shysters thats why they dont show up for being assessed!

Those on welfare pay zero tax, still have their bins collected still have a roof over their hood food on the table and pocket money also to spend on alcohol, netflix etc They are defo getting their moneys worth considering they contribute jack all to begin with. I save ever heard that SAVE?? For a rainy day so I dont need running to the bank of other peoples cash at the first sign on trouble. I dont use credit cards as I live within by means, try telling that to the welfare brigade who rack up thousands on credit cards buying crap online then wonder how to pay it back?!!

How can you call these the poorest? If you compare their income to effort ratio they are some of the richest in the country!!

You are jealous of people because they have a phone and can use public facilities for free that you pay very little for. It’s kinda rich of you complaining about other people when you do not contribute much yourself.

You are basically doing the equivalent of someone like me saying stuff the poor. I pay so much tax and then the poor working people get to use the same facilities as me and have more time to do it because I worked very long hours. Let’s remove the minimum wage and working tax credits. Let the market decided. It’s not my fault that you didn’t train in anything good and didn’t do well in school. And let’s get rid of labour standards because they allow poor people like yourself to work less and I want them to work stupid hours like me. Does that all sound fair to you?

There are some people out there who would scrap all the protections that the young and vulnerable rely on. And it’s people like me who vote against their material interests who stop that from happening. People like you are a race to the bottom.

Lol, I hope you never have to deal with a disability assessment then because they're so dehumanising it's unreal. Why else did the UN get involved with it? Why do so many attempt to take their lives or complete suicide attempts because of how awfully they're treated? Please get your head out of your ******** and actually listen to those people who are marginalised because of disability and other issues like poverty. It's not a walk in the park like you seem to think it is.
Reply 94
benefits cap is equivalent to a 43k salary job that shows how generous welfare is! Who earns that, its way above average? Given 3 million UK households are permanently jobless as per ONS stats that shows the system is far too generous and needs to be scrapped once and for all

The £43k figure quoted is the amount you can get if you're renting in London. The bigger problem is the lack of housing that is actually affordable to those on a low to average salary and the high cost of living in the UK compared to other countries. People who get state benefits are not living it large by any stretch of the imagination. Scapped lol. You'd be perfectly happy putting all of those families the street would you? Particularly in the current climate when so many people have lost their jobs and there are very few new positions available. Sure that would save the country loads of money. Wouldn't increase poverty, deprivation or the crime rate at all I'm sure. Really hope you're not studying economics or politics.
compared to most countries it's very good

compared to the UK though its crap
compared to most countries it's very good

Please stop the nonsense.
The benefits system is a social safety net for those who need it, and there are many who needed desperately.

Because some other countries don't have safety nets doesn't make our so generous. It makes the other countries what they are.. Not a place you want to live if you are in need...or you have not enough money to buy food...

Stop the nonsense please!

Your are assuming matters that are not true.

The benefits system is a lifeline to most who use it.
Original post by Lucifer323
Stop the nonsense please!

Your are assuming matters that are not true.

The benefits system is a lifeline to most who use it.

TBH I'm pretty sure they're just trolling, they can't move on from DM soundbites and depend on replies to repeat them.

All users with 'Monkey' in the name are simply bad people. This also applies to financial products and catering.
I know too many who exploit the system. no working is easy and make more money. lol. not complaining money in my pocket

There is a girl I know her parents are too lazy to get a job and she sits around being racist (she is white)about living in this country and being from thsi country and not getting first prioties in her own country but then there is also someone I know whos parents are blind so cant work so I guess it depends

Latest

Trending

Trending