Owning/using a horse

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thinking of getting a horse. Does anyone here own a horse how much did you pay for it how much does it cost to feed etc and do you ever get bored of it?
Raptor Jesus
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
macy_m
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you ever ridden/looked after one? If you havent after corona has subsided it would be worth volunteering at a stables to get experience, horses are a huge commitment. Instead of buying one straight away you could look into leasing one.
macy_m
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey so I recently got my second one ! I don’t exactly know how much it cost as I keep my horses at local riding stables and I know the owner- so she said she’d pay for a lot of jt if she could use her as a skl horse as well! Expect cheap ones (below £1k) to be breed by dodgy breeders or have something wrong with them, as some ppl tend to give horses sedation so they don’t act up. Horses can range from a couple hundred (usually are rescues or unbroken) to over £10k. I don’t recommend getting a horse straight away (I did because I know lots of experts and professional managers and certified instructors at my stables !!), look into loaning perhaps !! However, if you’re really keen on getting one do not get anything any younger than 5ish , preferably 7 to 10 should do, as others may not be fully broken in! The second reason I don’t recommend buying a horse out of nowhere is bc you do need expert advice when looking at a horse in order to check for things that may be wrong (turned in feet) which could mean irresponsible breeding and lead to problems in the future .

Just pm me for questions so I don’t make it too long !!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Peaches13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have had horses my whole life. What do you want to know x
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you had horses before?
I suggest you look into lessons, and then into leasing if you want to stick with it.
Unfortunately, many horses end up in bad situations because of inexperienced owners. Like you mentioned about 'getting bored of it'. Thats not an okay position to have when owning a horse. You need to make sure you are willing to exercise it, feed, the vet bills, etc. Start with lessons
Last edited by LovelyMrFox; 2 weeks ago
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
it's very expensive my sister had multiple horses but her dads rich and it is expensive
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
13.04%
A mix of in-person and online options (12)
17.39%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (42)
60.87%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
8.7%

Watched Threads