Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm applying to several British universities in a couple of weeks and am still wondering if someone could answer me these questions (I bet it will help more people than just me!):
    1. UK students are provided with 'predicted grades' but since there's no such a system of predicting grades an individual could possibly achieve in maturita (Slovak A-levels equivalent), will I have to list them either?
      • If so, who will predict them for me?
      • If not, will my chances to get an offer decline?
      • If I won't list the predicted grades (of Slovak A-levels equivalent), how could the uni assess my abilities and academic performance?

2. We don't take anything similar to GCSE so the uni can't require anything like that, am I right?
    3. What way of applying is more common for EU and international applicants - via school/college/centre or as an individual?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    1) If so, who will predict them for me? Ask your teachers and explain them your situation & how the british system works. You could e.g enter the mean of the last 2 semesters..

If not, will my chances to get an offer decline? If your teachers will (although its really unlikely) not give u any prediction then enter what you believe you will get

If I won't list the predicted grades (of Slovak A-levels equivalent), how could the uni assess my abilities and academic performance? Just list them? Enter the A-level equivalent as your degree and then enter all the subjects you are doing

2) We don't take anything similar to GCSE so the uni can't require anything like that, am I right? Yes you are. I would still contact my desired uni and ask if they want any school reports as GSCE substitute

3) What way of applying is more common for EU and international applicants - via school/college/centre or as an individual? As an individual as you produce/send every required document as an individual. In the UK the schools are sending the UCAS applications and final grades to the universities, in your country you have to do it yourself.

Hope I could help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeoAlex)
    1) If so, who will predict them for me? Ask your teachers explaining them your situation & how the british system works. You could e.g enter the mean of the last 2 semesters..

If not, will my chances to get an offer decline? If your teachers will (although its really unlikely) not give u any prediction then enter what you believe you will get

If I won't list the predicted grades (of Slovak A-levels equivalent), how could the uni assess my abilities and academic performance? Just list them? Enter the A-level equivalent as your degree and then enter all the subjects you are doing

2) We don't take anything similar to GCSE so the uni can't require anything like that, am I right? Yes you are. I would still contact my desired uni and ask if they want any school reports as GSCE substitute

3) What way of applying is more common for EU and international applicants - via school/college/centre or as an individual? As an individual as you produce/send every required document as an individual. In the UK the schools are sending the UCAS applications and final grades to the universities, in your country you have to do it yourself.

Hope I could help you
    Thank you for exhausting reply

ReputationRep:
    I was in your case as I took the French Baccalauréat and it's totally different from the A-Level system, so I think I can answer your questions :yep:
    1 - If you could have them, it would be better as it would allow unis to make you an offer on the basis of the results you could achieve, but it's not like compulsory and unis can make you offers without them (that's what they did for me, I had no predicted grades, no one asked me to send some). Your equivalent of the head teacher could do that, or a teacher that knows you pretty well. Could you explain me how works the maturita ?

2 - They indeed can't, lol, it would be hard to ask for something you don't have. But if you took previous exams, list them on your application.
    3 - I think that applying as individual is more common, but it depends on your school : if they already had students applying to the UK, and know the system, it may be easier for you to apply through your school. Anyway, it won't affect your chances of getting an offer from any uni. But applying as an individual, you'll have to get the statement from one of your teacher and you'll have to fill the application by yourself, which may be a bit confusing if you don't know how to process.

ReputationRep:
    Just one more question

Let's suppose I already got an A (Slovak Language) and B (English Language and Lit.) from A-levels equiv and I plan to take History and Geography.
    Since I need 3As, could I list the A I already got (Slovak Lang)? Is it possible the uni would ask me for another grade from another subject? I really don't want to take extra subject but if it's necessary...

ReputationRep:
    So basically you already took a part of your maturita ? Then list these subjects on your application, add your other subjects and unis will make you an offer on the basis of the results you'll achieve in 08-09 :yep: (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it)

ReputationRep:
    From the UCAS website:

International students

You should check the suitability of your qualifications with the admissions offices at each of your chosen universities and colleges before applying. Each one will decide whether or not your qualifications meet or could meet their entry requirements for the course(s) you are interested in. When you apply, you should give full details of all your qualifications, including exams you took when you left school, exams you took to get into higher education, vocational exams and any other qualifications or awards. Please do not try to give a UK equivalent. If your first language is not English, you should:

* say whether or not your qualifications were completely or partly assessed in English
    * enter details for any English language tests you have taken or plan to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I was in your case as I took the French Baccalauréat and it's totally different from the A-Level system, so I think I can answer your questions :yep:
    1 - If you could have them, it would be better as it would allow unis to make you an offer on the basis of the results you could achieve, but it's not like compulsory and unis can make you offers without them (that's what they did for me, I had no predicted grades, no one asked me to send some). Your equivalent of the head teacher could do that, or a teacher that knows you pretty well. Could you explain me how works the maturita ?

2 - They indeed can't, lol, it would be hard to ask for something you don't have. But if you took previous exams, list them on your application.
    3 - I think that applying as individual is more common, but it depends on your school : if they already had students applying to the UK, and know the system, it may be easier for you to apply through your school. Anyway, it won't affect your chances of getting an offer from any uni. But applying as an individual, you'll have to get the statement from one of your teacher and you'll have to fill the application by yourself, which may be a bit confusing if you don't know how to process.
    Oh great.
    1. Maturita is a system of written and oral sub-tests. Unless you wanna take languages (Eng/Slovak/Spanish/French/German) you avoid doing the written part. Every student taking maturita has to revise everything tought in past 4-5 years from the subjects he/she wants to take (it's 5 yrs for bilingual secondary schools). In maturita, you take 3 questions from different areas - each one is then marked separately and the average of these marks makes up the final grade.
    I think I'll ask my teachers though, we already have some students in UK.

2. What do you mean by 'previous exams'?

3. My English Lang & Lit teacher will hopefully help me with fulfilling the application (he's Briton so he should know ho to do that ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    From the UCAS website:
    The maturita is suitable for Oxford so I doubt that other unis will decline it, but it'd indeed be better to check :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So basically you already took a part of your maturita ? Then list these subjects on your application, add your other subjects and unis will make you an offer on the basis of the results you'll achieve in 08-09 :yep: (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it)
    Yep that's right. Will do it like that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limonadita)
    Oh great.
    1. Maturita is a system of written and oral sub-tests. Unless you wanna take languages (Eng/Slovak/Spanish/French/German) you avoid doing the written part. Every student taking maturita has to revise everything tought in past 4-5 years from the subjects he/she wants to take (it's 5 yrs for bilingual secondary schools). In maturita, you take 3 questions from different areas - each one is then marked separately and the average of these marks makes up the final grade.
    I think I'll ask my teachers though, we already have some students in UK.

2. What do you mean by 'previous exams'?

3. My English Lang & Lit teacher will hopefully help me with fulfilling the application (he's Briton so he should know ho to do that ).
    Err, for example, before I took the French Bac in June '08, I took the first part of my Bac in June '07, so I listed the grades I already had in the subjects I took (and which count as a part of my French Bac) and before I took the Bac, I also took what's called "Brevet" and which is very roughly the equivalent of English GCSEs, so I also added that in my application (but I doubt it had a great impact on unis decisions, lol)

Ask your teacher to try to predict your grades on the basis of grades you usually have at school (if it's an end-of-year exam like me), it'll be better for unis imo. And if your English teacher can help you, it'll be easier for you because you'll need him to complete a section called "Referee statement" in which your teacher will have to talk about you

ReputationRep:
    My universitys told me they would not consider my application if I didn't manage to get the predicted grades. However my teachers did not want to give me predicted grades. I ended asking them to the director who took my grades from the last term and lowered them...

ReputationRep:
    UK students are provided with 'predicted grades' but since there's no such a system of predicting grades an individual could possibly achieve in maturita (Slovak A-levels equivalent), will I have to list them either? I'm from holland where i did the VWO (a-level equivalent). I never bothered to list predicted grades and I still got offers. just make sure the rest of your application is great....me and my referee however did mention how my grade in English has always been excellent... because that is what i will be studying.

If so, who will predict them for me? That would be your dean i think

If not, will my chances to get an offer decline?I'm not sure, but with me it didn't...however I didn't apply to a top 10 university or something so it might be different when you apply to places like warwick, durham, cambridge, etc.

If I won't list the predicted grades (of Slovak A-levels equivalent), how could the uni assess my abilities and academic performance?Like I've said before, mention your grades in your personal statement and make sure your referee mentions them aswell. If you for example want to study geography, then mention how your grade has always been great and make sure your referee does the same.

We don't take anything similar to GCSE so the uni can't require anything like that, am I right?Yep you're right!

What way of applying is more common for EU and international applicants - via school/college/centre or as an individual? I did it as an individual, there were no links to the school I went to at the time. However my english teacher was my referee and she helped me with my application aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Ross)
    My universitys told me they would not consider my application if I didn't manage to get the predicted grades. However my teachers did not want to give me predicted grades. I ended asking them to the director who took my grades from the last term and lowered them...
    It probably depends on your course as well. None of my unis asked me to send them predicted grades because my course is not like massively over subscribed, lol, it's more like they have to pay students to choose this course, haha. But if you can have your predicted grades, then try to get them, it'll be easier for both you and unis.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, If you study in a normal school with normal teachers that actually care about students, you would find at least one that can give you predicted grades. You study different subjects so this teacher that is your reference should go and ask your other teachers what they predict about your grades. List ALL your grades. UCAS website will ask you for date of finishing the subject so if it is 2009 then you CANNOT enter them in any way but your reference can after consulting your other teachers about what they expect. If you have finished certain subject you give the date and the grade you achieved. Your prediced grades are usually very similar to what you were achieving in your previous years so it is realistic to achieve it once a university gives you an offer. Ask your reference to put down REALISTIC predicted grades so that you don't end up kicking yourself in May about not being able to achieve conditions (which they give on basis of predicted grades). I personally studied at a very organised and experienced in this matter school so there were people to explain the process so we didn't use utside organisaton. Your school could probably have a councillor that works with applications for universities in your motherland or abroad (ask if they have it, if they do - he/she would be the right person for your reference). Any other questions - just ask

Edit: I see your signature...damn it, don't to Durham if you want to have some proper student life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Ross)
    jeeez that sounds really scary :eek: as I need 3As I don't consider my teachers to be like this though. They'll possibly predict them for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bentje)
    UK students are provided with 'predicted grades' but since there's no such a system of predicting grades an individual could possibly achieve in maturita (Slovak A-levels equivalent), will I have to list them either? I'm from holland where i did the VWO (a-level equivalent). I never bothered to list predicted grades and I still got offers. just make sure the rest of your application is great....me and my referee however did mention how my grade in English has always been excellent... because that is what i will be studying.

If so, who will predict them for me? That would be your dean i think

If not, will my chances to get an offer decline?I'm not sure, but with me it didn't...however I didn't apply to a top 10 university or something so it might be different when you apply to places like warwick, durham, cambridge, etc.

If I won't list the predicted grades (of Slovak A-levels equivalent), how could the uni assess my abilities and academic performance?Like I've said before, mention your grades in your personal statement and make sure your referee mentions them aswell. If you for example want to study geography, then mention how your grade has always been great and make sure your referee does the same.

We don't take anything similar to GCSE so the uni can't require anything like that, am I right?Yep you're right!

What way of applying is more common for EU and international applicants - via school/college/centre or as an individual? I did it as an individual, there were no links to the school I went to at the time. However my english teacher was my referee and she helped me with my application aswell
    Whooohoo that's it. My first choice uni is Durham and the others are ranked as 15th - 20th best ones. I think I'll contact Durham to see if I need the grades to be predicted.
    [off-topic: I love Netherlands! Going to Leiden this November :woo:]

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends on your course as well. None of my unis asked me to send them predicted grades because my course is not like massively over subscribed, lol, it's more like they have to pay students to choose this course, haha. But if you can have your predicted grades, then try to get them, it'll be easier for both you and unis.
    I intend to apply for the new International Relations course in Durham with standard requirement of 3As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexyfoot)
    Ok, If you study in a normal school with normal teachers that actually care about students, you would find at least one that can give you predicted grades. You study different subjects so this teacher that is your reference should go and ask your other teachers what they predict about your grades. List ALL your grades. UCAS website will ask you for date of finishing the subject so if it is 2009 then you CANNOT enter them in any way but your reference can after consulting your other teachers about what they expect. If you have finished certain subject you give the date and the grade you achieved. Your prediced grades are usually very similar to what you were achieving in your previous years so it is realistic to achieve it once a university gives you an offer. Ask your reference to put down REALISTIC predicted grades so that you don't end up kicking yourself in May about not being able to achieve conditions (which they give on basis of predicted grades). I personally studied at a very organised and experienced in this matter school so there were people to explain the process so we didn't use utside organisaton. Your school could probably have a councillor that works with applications for universities in your motherland or abroad (ask if they have it, if they do - he/she would be the right person for your reference). Any other questions - just ask

Edit: I see your signature...damn it, don't to Durham if you want to have some proper student life
    OMG. It's mandatory to take 4 subjects in maturita (I already did 2 of them) so in case they'd accept my Slovak Lang. & Lit. grade I won't be forced to take Economics (and I bet my Eco teacher would predict me B...). I'm truly horrified of possibility that the uni would ask me for something else instead of Slovak.
    I really am determined to get straight As this year.
    Is it possible that Durham wouldn't give me an offer if I get one B predicted? Standard requirement for the IntRel course I want to do is AAA. However it seems both my PS and reference will be quite strong + I'm gonna do more extracurricular activities this year. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, you should not enter predicted grades unless your teacher/head actually predicted them, i. e. do not try to predict them yourself. (I don't remember who exactly told me that, but it was either UCAS or the British Council, so it should be correct.)
    My teachers just couldn't be bothered But it did not harm my application at all, so you should be fine either way.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.