Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I need to vent.

Went to pick up my results yesterday and got an A in maths. Hey, an A is a good grade and what I was predicted. But, I wanted to prove my teacher wrong and aim for an A*. Still, I was happy with my result.

Then, I looked at the breakdown of the results. I just got an A* in the exams (the hardwork had paid off), but my coursework was literally only just an A. So my grade was pulled down.

My teacher had told some people to do new coursework because they could've gotten a higher result and now I'm very peed off with myself and maths coursework (it's a stupid idea that's being scrapped now apparently).

/vent

So, the moral of this story: if you have coursework, FFS do it really well. Shame I was lazy earlier in the course.

Anyone else have something similar? (I am happy with the A BTW, but a little bit more hardwork last year and...)

ReputationRep:
    Any Design Technology coursework, don't leave it till the last minute.

They're getting rid of GCSE maths coursework soon (possibly from next year? not sure), which can only be a good thing. Sadly, a bit late for you.

A similar thing happened to me in Chemistry. I got 100% in both my exams, but my coursework (which was titled "are supermarkets green enough?" and had **** all to do with chemistry) was comparatively poor, I think I got a low B in it. As a result, I only just scraped an A*.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing with me in maths A* in the terminal and moduels but only an A, I'm guessing it was the coursework although we never got the mark for that
    I had that in science too, I got A* in physics and biology but a C in chemistry and D in coursework which was brought to a B overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    They're getting rid of GCSE maths coursework soon (possibly from next year? not sure), which can only be a good thing. Sadly, a bit late for you.

A similar thing happened to me in Chemistry. I got 100% in both my exams, but my coursework (which was titled "are supermarkets green enough?" and had **** all to do with chemistry) was comparatively poor, I think I got a low B in it. As a result, I only just scraped an A*.
    Well done on that result!

Urgh, I hate all forms of coursework! I have heard rumours (some from the new specifications of the courses my school is taking) that there won't be any coursework for the new A levels (apart from certain one that require it)...I really hope that's true.

ReputationRep:
    i submitted my maths coursework literally on the day of the deadline. i regret that now cos i know if i had been able to spend more time on it i would have an A, or even an A* (i was 2 marks off an A)

i'm getting a re-mark, just in case, but it's so annoying being so close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinPin)
    i submitted my maths coursework literally on the day of the deadline. i regret that now cos i know if i had been able to spend more time on it i would have an A, or even an A* (i was 2 marks off an A)

i'm getting a re-mark, just in case, but it's so annoying being so close!
    I know what you mean. I would love to send it for remarking, but I'm 12UMS off the grade boundary, so it's probably not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    All of my friends did far worse in the CWK than in the exams as well - it's a big annoyance at the time and a bigger one now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much the same! I'm not good with managing my time, especially when I have a billion other CW deadlines, so I stupidly left Maths until last and as a result, had to hand it in half-finished and half-assed.

I managed to get a mid-A, which I was surprised with, but it has gone down under Edexcel. I missed an A by 4 UMS. I achieved A in my exams but due to my CW result, I missed an A overall by 1 UMS. Pretty peeved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    All of my friends did far worse in the CWK than in the exams as well - it's a big annoyance at the time and a bigger one now!
    Urgh, my Mum just gave me a 1000000th lecture on how she's worried that I 'only' got an A and that I won't do well in it next year. I did fairly well in the exam and I didn't revise as well as I should (I still did a decent amount, but we won't tell her that will we TSR ). Again, I hate C/W.

ReputationRep:
    What bugs me now is I did try hard. I always try hard. But I could've tried harder (I was trying hard, but not that hard if that makes any sense lol)... And there's probably no point in trying to get it re-marked either, being quite far off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Urgh, my Mum just gave me a 1000000th lecture on how she's worried that I 'only' got an A and that I won't do well in it next year. I did fairly well in the exam and I didn't revise as well as I should (I still did a decent amount, but we won't tell her that will we TSR ). Again, I hate C/W.
    We don't do Maths CWK next year, do we?
    *Prays*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    We don't do Maths CWK next year, do we?
    *Prays*
    I hope I don't have any coursework, I much prefer exams.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Maths CWK has already been scrapped and that this was the last year for it. I believe that the students currently going into year 11 in Septemeber will have no Maths CW. Correct me if I'm wrong tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Well done on that result!

Urgh, I hate all forms of coursework! I have heard rumours (some from the new specifications of the courses my school is taking) that there won't be any coursework for the new A levels (apart from certain one that require it)...I really hope that's true.
    Yeah, they are trying to get rid of coursework to cut down on plagarism. I know from Sep 2008 AQA A Pschycology will be 100% exam, whilst AQA History will still have coursework at A2.
    You were in the last year to do Maths coursework.
    From 2010 they will be phasing out coursework in GCSE's and replacing it with "controlled assesments" basically you do an assignment in the classroom, without communicating to others. Your teacher marks it and you can get feedback & improve it however many times the teacher will let you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)

lol I got 100/100 in the coursework, and A*s in two of the exams, but I got a high B in the last exam which pulled me down to a very high A overall- I'm still pleased though as I thought I got like a C or D in the final exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makaveli_The_Don)
    I think the Maths CWK has already been scrapped and that this was the last year for it. I believe that the students currently going into year 11 in Septemeber will have no Maths CW. Correct me if I'm wrong tho.
    That's how it's working in my school.

Urgh, I'm looking at my results sheet. Eight more points (well, UMS thingy) in the CW and I would've gotten an A*. I am going to work my bloomin' butt off next year.

ReputationRep:
    I've checked Edexcel's specification for the new A levels, and it doesn't look like there's any CW. That's good (I don't know if I'll be taking that one, but...).

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.