Kam_7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
What is the reality of these a-levels, Psychology, sociology and criminology (I cant choose)?
lily wooldridge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kam_7)
What is the reality of these a-levels, Psychology, sociology and criminology (I cant choose)?
I can only talk about sociology as I didn’t do the other two and I LOVED it, I’m doing it at uni. One thing I didn’t realise is that it’s less about actual issues and more about comparing different ideas. It’s not extremely difficult either. There is a lot to remember and it can become quite confusing but honestly I loved it. I am friends with some people who didn’t like it as much but you seem to be more interested in that side of things. One thing I would say though is criminology is quite narrow and there are aspects covered in sociology, it would be easier I think to go from sociology to criminology at uni that criminology to sociology if that is what your thinking, if you have anymore questions about sociology just ask and I’ll try my best to answer
Kam_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by lily wooldridge)
I can only talk about sociology as I didn’t do the other two and I LOVED it, I’m doing it at uni. One thing I didn’t realise is that it’s less about actual issues and more about comparing different ideas. It’s not extremely difficult either. There is a lot to remember and it can become quite confusing but honestly I loved it. I am friends with some people who didn’t like it as much but you seem to be more interested in that side of things. One thing I would say though is criminology is quite narrow and there are aspects covered in sociology, it would be easier I think to go from sociology to criminology at uni that criminology to sociology if that is what your thinking, if you have anymore questions about sociology just ask and I’ll try my best to answer
Thank you very much that was very helpful and I will.🙂
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
did psychology a level and really enjoyed it, i'm planning to study it at uni the content isn't very difficult imo, it's just a lot to remember!! worth researching the specifications for each of the subjects and seeing which one fits your interests the most.
Kam_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
did psychology a level and really enjoyed it, i'm planning to study it at uni the content isn't very difficult imo, it's just a lot to remember!! worth researching the specifications for each of the subjects and seeing which one fits your interests the most.
Thank you for the help🙂
hope1279
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kam_7)
I did sociology and criminology at college and I found that I knew everything for the crime and deviance module in sociology from 1st year criminology. Classic ideas about the functionalist/marxist/feminist/new right views of how crime is (or isn't) created due to social factors e.g. poverty can be found in both topics but criminology goes into a lot more depth. Crim also uses a lot more real cases where as sociology tends to use academic studies to back up a point. Crim goes into detail of biological reasons for committing crime as well as how evidence is collected and processed, evaluating the personnel in the justice system, campaigns for change, etc. Basically, sociology will more topics like family, childhood and education and criminology covers fewer topics but in a lot more detail. In terms of exams, criminology is easier as content is split into 2 exams first year, 2 exams second year so it's less to learn for each, sociology is 3 exams in 2nd year. I personally found criminology easier but that's probably because I enjoyed it more. Hope this helps
Kam_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by hope1279)
I did sociology and criminology at college and I found that I knew everything for the crime and deviance module in sociology from 1st year criminology. Classic ideas about the functionalist/marxist/feminist/new right views of how crime is (or isn't) created due to social factors e.g. poverty can be found in both topics but criminology goes into a lot more depth. Crim also uses a lot more real cases where as sociology tends to use academic studies to back up a point. Crim goes into detail of biological reasons for committing crime as well as how evidence is collected and processed, evaluating the personnel in the justice system, campaigns for change, etc. Basically, sociology will more topics like family, childhood and education and criminology covers fewer topics but in a lot more detail. In terms of exams, criminology is easier as content is split into 2 exams first year, 2 exams second year so it's less to learn for each, sociology is 3 exams in 2nd year. I personally found criminology easier but that's probably because I enjoyed it more. Hope this helps
Yes thank you that was very helpful.
Jesscruzx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Criminology is AMAZING buh it gets intense there’s a lot to remember buh I fricken love it it’s really interesting learning the mentality of those who commit crimes and reasons they turned to crime etc
Bluepanda1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kam_7)
I don't personally do any of these subjects but I often hear my friends talking about them and from what I can tell, psychology sounds interesting and the only negative I have heard is that there is a lot to remember but at least its enjoyable. My friends who have taken sociology have often said its a 'waste of time' and very time consuming but I guess everyone's different.

I would suggest looking at youtube videos of people going through and teaching the content and then make a decision from there into which looks the most appealing. You could also check out the specification of each subject and see what topics you have to learn in each one and make the decision that way as it will allow you to look at your own strengths and weaknesses rather than relying on other people opinions of the subject (which can sometimes be very bias).
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kam_7)
Hi Kam_7!

I took sociology for a few classes and changed it as I just personally didn't really feel fulfilled by it. I took Psychology though and it was my favourite subject. The content was just so interesting and easy to digest and recall, and it was quite easy to learn how to really answer an exam paper well. I would 1000% recommend it Let me know if you have any specific questions relating to Psychology!
I have never studied criminology but when I studied Psychology there was a topic on criminal behaviours which was really interesting!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Kam_7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bluepanda1234)
I don't personally do any of these subjects but I often hear my friends talking about them and from what I can tell, psychology sounds interesting and the only negative I have heard is that there is a lot to remember but at least its enjoyable. My friends who have taken sociology have often said its a 'waste of time' and very time consuming but I guess everyone's different.

I would suggest looking at youtube videos of people going through and teaching the content and then make a decision from there into which looks the most appealing. You could also check out the specification of each subject and see what topics you have to learn in each one and make the decision that way as it will allow you to look at your own strengths and weaknesses rather than relying on other people opinions of the subject (which can sometimes be very bias).
Ok thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (773)
42.03%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.46%

Watched Threads