some legal questions (business law, company law)

Watch
KlausC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I find an interesting law question, but I couldn't figure out. Hope you can help me with that. I guess it is more of a definition question.

So, according to the T4 student visa requirement, it is said that students can't perform any business activity. If the business activities are understood, and include, as buying or holding shares British firms.

Does the logic also apply to buying shares in the secondary market, says buying HSBC shares, as it is the same in nature? Will it violate the law?

Or do I need actual control of a company, say holding a certain amount of share,s to be therefore meet the condition of business activity?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by KlausC; 9 months ago
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by KlausC)
I find an interesting law question, but I couldn't figure out. Hope you can help me with that. I guess it is more of a definition question.

So, according to the T4 student visa requirement, it is said that students can't perform any business activity. If the business activities are understood, and include, as buying or holding shares British firms.

Does the logic also apply to buying shares in the secondary market, says buying HSBC shares, as it is the same in nature? Will it violate the law?

Or do I need actual control of a company, say holding a certain amount of share,s to be therefore meet the condition of business activity?

Any thoughts?
Hey there
I've moved your thread into advice on everyday issues so you may get a few more useful replies.
You may also want to check out forums such as legal and money and finance
Best of luck,
Cheese :bump:
martin7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by KlausC)

There's some information here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...tober_2019.pdf pages 51-52.

I can't see there's any issue with buying or holding shares in British firms -- however you're not allowed to work for firms "in which you have a financial or other significant beneficial interest in a capacity other than as an employee".

So it would appear to be fine to have a part-time job working for HSBC as long as you didn't own 10% or more of HSBC's shares. (As HSBC appears to currently have a market capitalisation of around £80 billion, make sure you buy less than £8 billion pounds worth of shares.) But if you're not working for HSBC it appears to be ok to go beyond that £8 billion limit.
KlausC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by martin7)
There's some information here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...tober_2019.pdf pages 51-52.

I can't see there's any issue with buying or holding shares in British firms -- however you're not allowed to work for firms "in which you have a financial or other significant beneficial interest in a capacity other than as an employee".

So it would appear to be fine to have a part-time job working for HSBC as long as you didn't own 10% or more of HSBC's shares. (As HSBC appears to currently have a market capitalisation of around £80 billion, make sure you buy less than £8 billion pounds worth of shares.) But if you're not working for HSBC it appears to be ok to go beyond that £8 billion limit.
Thanks for your information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (451)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (425)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.39%

Watched Threads