Turn on thread page Beta

Are the Chinese cheating? watch

• View Poll Results: Are the Chinese cheating?
    Yes
    56.98%
    No
    43.02%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRreader)
    As we can see the blogger shows suspicion of hoping to find something interesting to present. So that gives motive for the blogger to edit any documents he had presented on his blog. Secondly, that web browser looked peculiar so it's possible that the blogger used it to edit the document.
    He couldn't edit the documents, they're hosted on baidu.com, a Chinese search engine. Here's the link to the archived spreadsheet: http://cache.baidu.com/c?m=9f65cb4a8...c4e&user=baidu

And if you search that spreadsheet for "何可欣" (you'll need the Chinese font installed to display those characters), the chinese writing of He Kexin (confirmed by running it through google translator), you'll find a birthdate of '1994.1.01'.

(Original post by Howard)
    First we learn that a good part of the Olympic opening ceremony was computer generated. Then we learn that the little girl who sang at the opening was miming to another (less attractive) girl's voice.

And now, there are serious suspicions that the Chinese are using under age athletes in the gymnastics competitions.

So, are they cheating? Are they really that desperate to win? Is all this harming their credibility?

It's time for you, the viewer, to have your say!
    There have been suggestions that Team GB have been cheating because of their uncustomary accumulation of Gold medals!

ReputationRep:
    Of course he didn't find it randomly...he, along with many others, thought that the girls were younger than documented so did a simple google search, oh, and look, he found what he wanted.
    And lol at you and the web browser. That is firefox on a Windows 1998 computer.

Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion as some others with:

Even with documents showing incontrovertible evidence for the ages, there's nothing that can be done to have them banned from the olympics for being underaged. Passports are considered legal and very strong proof of age for the Olympics, and as long as those documents state the age of 16, for the intents and purposes of the Olympics, she will be 16.

What is the minimum age for competitors?

Tom Daley is fourteen...is he underage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    There have been suggestions that Team GB have been cheating because of their uncustomary accumulation of Gold medals!
    They've come in the same events as always, except we've stepped up in the cycling. Which can be expected due to the high level of investment in cycling since the Commonwealth games in 2002.
    Anyway, you're missing the point. Howard is saying that the Chinese are possibly cheating because they are entering underage gymnasts into the Olympics. I don't think anything like that can apply to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

No - someone said earlier that the age for diving was 12 or something - it varies with different sports, but the age for gymnastics was increased in 1996 I believe because of fears that it was not healthy to be training so much whilst the competitors bodies were still developing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

Read the thread man, diving has a lower age limit than gymnastics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

God, some people are slow...why not read the thread first?
    Ages change through events.
    Diving : 14
    Gympnastics : 16

Tough **** that it's different, it's done for a reason...to prevent child cruelty. Maybe the limit will change in diving for the next Olympics.

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese are given a special handicap of 20 gold medals because of atroscities committed against them in WW2

(Original post by beeb375)
    Read the thread man, diving has a lower age limit than gymnastics.
    I'm not a man! :p:

If, as someone says, the gymnasts minimum age is 16 because of strains imposed by training on developing bodies, I would have thought the same thing would have applied to all competitors under the age of 16 for the same reason, yes?

ReputationRep:
    FYI:

- Bobsled (minimum of 14 years old)
    - Boxing (17-32)
    - Diving (minimum of 14)
    - Equestrian (16 or older)
    - Figure skating (15 by July 1 of previous year)
    - Gymnastics (must be 16 years old in Olympic year)
    - Judo (15 or older), luge (16 or older)
    - Soccer (under 23)
    - Team handball (over 18)
    - Weightlifting (17 or older)
    - Wrestling (must be at least 17 on day of Opening Ceremonies).

(Original post by one2three_abc)
    God, some people are slow...why not read the thread first?
    Oooh...*****y. Have you seen how long this thread is? 12 pages long...it would take up too much of my very valuable time to read all the crap that's gone before my post.

FYI:

- Bobsled (minimum of 14 years old)
    - Boxing (17-32)
    - Diving (minimum of 14)
    - Equestrian (16 or older)
    - Figure skating (15 by July 1 of previous year)
    - Gymnastics (must be 16 years old in Olympic year)
    - Judo (15 or older), luge (16 or older)
    - Soccer (under 23)
    - Team handball (over 18)
    - Weightlifting (17 or older)
    - Wrestling (must be at least 17 on day of Opening Ceremonies).
    So how about the Cameroon girl swimmer who's 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I would have thought the same thing would have applied to all competitors under the age of 16 for the same reason, yes?

Yes, I am surprised for diving that the minimum age is 14 years. The force of hitting the water time and time again can halter growth. This is why Daley normally has a limit of less than 10 dives a day from the 10m board in training. Maybe the limit will rise for the next olympics, but as I say, the rules are rules, tough **** if they don't suit your country. Stick to them.

ReputationRep:
    If China did cheat with the gymnastics I would be more concerned with the pressure undoubtedly put on the gymnasts, not gold medals. China is well ahead at the top of the table anyway so unless you are suggesting they cheat in other events as well its not going to change anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Maybe swimming has a limit of 12yrs. I don't know...if you're so bothered look yourself.

And the pages aren't crap, it's a combination of evidence to why we believe that the Chinese have conned the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I'm not a man! :p:
    My bad :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Well, if you know the age limit for swimming we can see whether that's allowed or not. If she's openly known as being 12 then I imagine it's not an issue.

Yes, I am surprised for diving that the minimum age is 14 years. The force of hitting the water time and time again can halter growth. This is why Daley normally has a limit of less than 10 dives a day from the 10m board in training. Maybe the limit will rise for the next olympics, but as I say, the rules are rules, tough **** if they don't suit your country. Stick to them.
    I absolutely agree that 'rules is rules' and they should be abided by.

However, the rules state that performance enhancing drugs are forbidden, but time and again we find out after the events that some have been found guilty of taking these drugs.

I would say that it is more immoral to take these drugs than to be underage since the performance is enhanced by the former but not the latter.

Maybe swimming has a limit of 12yrs. I don't know...if you're so bothered look yourself.

And the pages aren't crap, it's a combination of evidence to why we believe that the Chinese have conned the system.
    You sound as full of sour grapes about the Chinese being in the lead on the medals table as the Aussies do about Team GB's haul.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.