Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I watched this Documentry and in it there was this American guy who forged money or something. When ever the cops came to arrest him he just sat there staring at the wall, dribbiling:no:

I mean if you actually did that, what could the Police do? To interview someone the person needs to be able to talk and he be of sound mind( well not ******ed at least)

ReputationRep:
    Only in America?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjoshing)
    I watched this Documentry and in it there was this American guy who forged money or osmething. When ever the cops came to arrest him he just sat there staring at the wall, dribbiling:no:

I mean if you actually did that, what could the Police do? To interview someone the person needs to be able to talk and he be of sound mind( well not ******ed at least)
    I assume they would have a medical assessment done, and once they've proved there's actualy nothing wrong with you, you'll have wasting police time or preverting the course of justice or someequally time-wasting-related-charge added on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    I assume they would have a medical assessment done, and once they've proved there's actualy nothing wrong with you,
    How do you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How do you do that?
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    Huh?
    How do you prove there's nothing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How do you do that?
    Witnesses who saw you acting normally the day before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How do you prove there's nothing wrong?
    Firstly, I don't know, it's just an assumption that I'm making.

Secondly, I'd guess that if there was something wrong with you that's causing you to simply stare at a wall and drool, there's going to be some kind of medical grounding behind it (ie brain damage) that they can trace.

ReputationRep:
    Secondly, I'd guess that if there was something wrong with you that's causing you to simply stare at a wall and drool, there's going to be some kind of medical grounding behind it (ie brain damage) that they can trace.
    No. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    surely it's beyond reasonable doubt that everyone who knows you says you are normal functioning and without history of mental problems, then faced with a cop you suddenly lapse into catatonia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Ok. So assuming that you're not just ****ing around to avoid arrest/charges, what other explainations are there for such behaviour that cannot be medically discovered? (ie drugs can be found in blood tests, brain damage, neurogical disturbances such as epilepsy etc)

ReputationRep:
    I assume they would have a medical assessment done, and once they've proved there's actualy nothing wrong with you, you'll have wasting police time or preverting the course of justice or someequally time-wasting-related-charge added on.
    Spotty Dog is right.

They will perform a medical assessment and if proven that you acted 'mentally disabled' in the process of a police interview, the extra charge of wasting police time will be added.

However, it's important to know that nobody has to reply to the police at interview. It's totally legal to say 'no comment' the whole way through. It's the prosecution's job to prove your guilt, you can legally remain totally silent throughout the prosecution process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    However, it's important to know that nobody has to reply to the police at interview. It's totally legal to say 'no comment' the whole way through. It's the prosecution's job to prove your guilt, you can legally remain totally silent throughout!
    Just to be pedantic, I thought you had to respond with a positive or negative (ie yes or no) to your name and address? And then everything else can be no comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    surely it's beyond reasonable doubt that everyone who knows you says you are normal functioning and without history of mental problems, then faced with a cop you suddenly lapse into catatonia
    Maybe. But I doubt the police would take that risk, let alone the CPS.

Either way though, there's no magical brain scan or exam that can determine with certainty what 'brain damage' is or is not present.

ReputationRep:
    (ie drugs can be found in blood tests, brain damage, neurogical disturbances such as epilepsy etc)
    You know how many diagnostic tests there are for epilepsy? Or metal illness? Or half the neurological 'disturbances' going? None.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Maybe. But I doubt the police would take that risk, let alone the CPS.

Either way though, there's no magical brain scan or exam that can determine with certainty what 'brain damage' is or is not present.
    No, but there are scans to show if brain damage is present. The accurancies of such (ie what damage is actually done and it's repercussions) are probably not important at that point, because then I believe you're into a different type of police arrest/questionning system anyway. Could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjoshing)
    I watched this Documentry and in it there was this American guy who forged money or something. When ever the cops came to arrest him he just sat there staring at the wall, dribbiling:no:

I mean if you actually did that, what could the Police do? To interview someone the person needs to be able to talk and he be of sound mind( well not re-tarded at least)
    You NEED to watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...53586646&hl=en

!

ReputationRep:
    No, but there are scans to show if brain damage is present.
    Really? Odd that these are available to the police and not to the regional neuroscience centres then...

ReputationRep:
    No, but there are scans to show if brain damage is present. The accurancies of such (ie what damage is actually done and it's repercussions) are probably not important at that point, because then I believe you're into a different type of police arrest/questionning system anyway. Could be wrong.
    You don't seem to get the fundamental problem- mental health problems can be completely unrelated to any physical problem such as brain damage and are therefore impossible to test for, just like the only way to test if I'm smarter than you is to sit us down and test us- there's no scan.

ReputationRep:
    Meh.. That would just result him with an undesignated amount of time in a secured mental hospital labeled as a catatonic schizophrenic as opposed to a predefined time in a prison.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.