Barbary Slave trade

Watch
MonkeyChunks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
From the 15th to 18th centuries Barbary Pirates captured, and sold, to Arab slave markets, approximately 1.5 million white Europeans. Barbary Pirates are form north africa and the captives were sold into slavery in Arab countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

Blacks also sold black slaves, to anyone willing to buy, regardless of race.

Slavery is not a racism issue, everyone has been a victim, and a perpetrator. If whites should feel guilt, and be made to apologies, then so should blacks.

Or how about we all admit the guilt is universal, happened centuries ago, had nothing to do with us personally, and we arent guilty today.

Perhaps with enough thought we can put all this behind us and move on?
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MonkeyChunks)
From the 15th to 18th centuries Barbary Pirates captured, and sold, to Arab slave markets, approximately 1.5 million white Europeans. Barbary Pirates are form north africa and the captives were sold into slavery in Arab countries.

Slavery is not a racism issue, everyone has been a victim, and a perpetrator. If whites should feel guilt, and be made to apologies, then so should blacks.

Or how about we all admit the guilt is universal, happened centuries ago, had nothing to do with us personally, and we arent guilty today.

Nice try at rationalising racism, but you've missed the crucial issue.
Could you point me to a country where whites are discriminated against and oppressed because of their colour, as a result of their ancestors' enslavement?
It's really not rocket science.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Only one slave trade has had catastrophic social effects.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
(Original post by QE2)
Nice try at rationalising racism, but you've missed the crucial issue.
Could you point me to a country where whites are discriminated against and oppressed because of their colour, as a result of their ancestors' enslavement?
It's really not rocket science.
Is it colour or their ancestors enslavement? You put forward two supposed reasons, which is it you are claiming is the valid one?
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daveological)
Only one slave trade has had catastrophic social effects.
So the emptying of an entire village on the coast of Ireland, overnight, was not a 'catastrophic social event'?

What gives you the right to judge, to discriminate, to say white people dont suffer?
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So the emptying of an entire village on the coast of Ireland, overnight, was not a 'catastrophic social event'?

What gives you the right to judge, to discriminate, to say white people dont suffer?
I never said that.
Also the Transatlantic Slave Trade did have more serious and pervasive effects which are still felt today.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
I never said that.
Also the Transatlantic Slave Trade did have more serious and pervasive effects which are still felt today.
Yes you did, you said white society didnt suffer 'catastrophic social effects' from being captured and sold in slave markets in Africa.

SO you think 1.5 million whites being taken and sold into slavery, entire villages being emptied, were not serious? Did not pervade society?

Many coastal villages closed, the impact on fishing and trade was large, and changed the racial make up of arab states with the introduction of white DNA. But to you that is nothing?
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes you did, you said white society didnt suffer 'catastrophic social effects' from being captured and sold in slave markets in Africa.

SO you think 1.5 million whites being taken and sold into slavery, entire villages being emptied, were not serious? Did not pervade society?

Many coastal villages closed, the impact on fishing and trade was large, and changed the racial make up of arab states with the introduction of white DNA. But to you that is nothing?
Okay, I'll concede that. But my point stands that the Transatlantic slave trade has had it's own effects that are still in place today, manifesting in racism. To derail the conversation by bringing up something you otherwise wouldn't care about is disingenuous.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is it colour or their ancestors enslavement? You put forward two supposed reasons, which is it you are claiming is the valid one?
Oh dear. Maybe it is rocket science for some.
Have a little think about it and get back to me if you still can't figure it out.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So you are claiming that white Irish still routinely suffer institutionalised discrimination at the hands of North Africans as a result of that historical event?
Crikey!
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Here's another pointer.
Try to differentiate between what happened 200 years ago and what is happening now.
They try your "whites are just as much victims of racism as blacks" argument again.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
Okay, I'll concede that. But my point stands that the Transatlantic slave trade has had it's own effects that are still in place today, manifesting in racism. To derail the conversation by bringing up something you otherwise wouldn't care about is disingenuous.
Only in the US though. And yes, it has a recent history, so its effects are still present. This is the UK though, BLM has no place in the UK.

I care about honesty.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
(Original post by QE2)
Oh dear. Maybe it is rocket science for some.
Have a little think about it and get back to me if you still can't figure it out.
Cant specify which reason?
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only in the US though. And yes, it has a recent history, so its effects are still present. This is the UK though, BLM has no place in the UK.

I care about honesty.
You think attitudes didn't spill over to the UK? Imperialism is also related.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
(Original post by QE2)
Here's another pointer.
Try to differentiate between what happened 200 years ago and what is happening now.
They try your "whites are just as much victims of racism as blacks" argument again.
Slavery still exists in the US does it? Of course not, it finished over a century ago. Perhaps you havent heard of the American Civil war? Go and read up on it.

And in the UK it finished so long ago it is in the mists of time. In 1772 slavery was ruled illegal. Go read up your history.
MonkeyChunks
Rep:
?
(Original post by QE2)
So you are claiming that white Irish still routinely suffer institutionalised discrimination at the hands of North Africans as a result of that historical event?
Crikey!
Name one law in the US that discriminates on colour? Law IS the institution, right? You do know that much, surely?

Racist individuals do not constitute the institution. Understand the difference.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Slavery still exists in the US does it? Of course not, it finished over a century ago. Perhaps you havent heard of the American Civil war? Go and read up on it.

And in the UK it finished so long ago it is in the mists of time. In 1772 slavery was ruled illegal. Go read up your history.
Read up on current affairs:

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/2...united-states/

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/
Burridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From the 15th to 18th centuries Barbary Pirates captured, and sold, to Arab slave markets, approximately 1.5 million white Europeans.
I'll just interject here and remind you that 12.5m Africans were enslaved during the Atlantic slave trade. That is over 8 times as many people.
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Could you point me to a country where whites are discriminated against and oppressed because of their colour,
Most countries in Africa.
King Dracula
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When will everyone shut the **** up about slaves. They are getting boring now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.23%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.59%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (67)
21.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
9.94%
I haven't started researching yet (31)
9.94%

Watched Threads