Freddy Redpath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, i've been tasked with answering the following question, i know all the information im just struggling to structure it, psychology AQA A-Level. pls help

Describe and Evaluate the cognitive approach
to explaining depression (16 marks)
-Eirlys-
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Freddy Redpath)
Hi, i've been tasked with answering the following question, i know all the information im just struggling to structure it, psychology AQA A-Level. pls help

Describe and Evaluate the cognitive approach
to explaining depression (16 marks)
"Cognitive Approach. This approach focuses on people's beliefs rather than their behavior. Depression results from systematic negative bias in thinking processes. Emotional, behavioral (and possibly physical) symptoms result from cognitive abnormality."

This approach is interested in abnormal thinking that can lead to and perpetuate mental health conditions. People with mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety are often stuck in a cycle of repetitive negative thinking. That's what the cognitive approach is looking at.

Do some more research on this approach, then talk about what this approach is lacking or could be improved upon. Most psychological arguments involve mentioning how it doesn't consider a biopsychological approach and that there's always more factors involved in mental illness. Question what the approach is missing, in your opinion and back it up with evidence. You could mention another approach, like the biological approach to understanding depression and areas which are useful that could build on the cognitive approach.
Freddy Redpath
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
"Cognitive Approach. This approach focuses on people's beliefs rather than their behavior. Depression results from systematic negative bias in thinking processes. Emotional, behavioral (and possibly physical) symptoms result from cognitive abnormality."

This approach is interested in abnormal thinking that can lead to and perpetuate mental health conditions. People with mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety are often stuck in a cycle of repetitive negative thinking. That's what the cognitive approach is looking at.

Do some more research on this approach, then talk about what this approach is lacking or could be improved upon. Most psychological arguments involve mentioning how it doesn't consider a biopsychological approach and that there's always more factors involved in mental illness. Question what the approach is missing, in your opinion and back it up with evidence. You could mention another approach, like the biological approach to understanding depression and areas which are useful that could build on the cognitive approach.
Wow, Thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (14)
27.45%
Less motivated (37)
72.55%

Watched Threads