The Student Room Group

Uncle Ben’s rice firm to scrap brand image of black farmer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Ok, let's try again.
The core issue of the BLM reaction to Floyd's murder was that it is yet another example in a long-running saga of discriminatory violence against black Americans simply because of their colour. His past is completely irrelevant. Even if he had just committed a murder, it would be irrelevant.
You need to get over this idea that it is about him personally. It could have been anyone. The important thing is the manner of his death, and that fact that it keeps happening. Remember that in the US, black men are three times more likely to be killed by the police than white. Hispanics are more than twice as likely.
White people aren't discriminated against by the system because they are white, so trying to make the comparison is meaningless. If white people think they are being systemically discriminated against because of their colour, maybe they should march in protest. I'd love to see that.

Bottom line is that violent discrimination against black people is a fact. You are either opposed to it or you aren't. Crying about violent discrimination against white people is just another way of saying that you aren't opposed to it.
And if you aren't opposed to violent racism, you are for it. There is no middle ground.

I agree that the issue of racial discrimination and injustice needs dealt with. However, especially in the case of Rayshard Brooks, which was a legal shooting, you cannot attribute the same blanket reason of racial injustice to everyone. You would probably suggest that if Rayshard Brooks had been white, the police wouldn't have shot. They probably would have just let him walk. Except the thing is, the evidence doesn't suggest that, because there are several cases whereby the US police have shot needlessly on white people also, most notably a 6 year old boy.

Secondly, it is very easy to throw statements around like 'black men are three times more likely to be killed by the police than white' without understanding what on earth goes on behind those statistics. Black men are five times more likely to be violent towards white men than the other way around. Should we ignore this statistic also? You cannot, possibly, be suggesting that the three times more likely part is just because they are black? Again, the evidence of police shooting in the US does not support this hypothesis. You're just throwing statements around without any footing.

Bottom line of the point I was trying to make was that Corbyn's mildly left wing bull**** was wildly disapproved in our recent general election. If you think for one second that this country will support a movement that wants, and I quote, ‘strategies for the abolition of the police' and the 'dismantling of capitalism' then you are very much mistaken. We have come so far away from the original purpose of BLM it's not even funny.

I fully support BLM, I support equality, I support the abolition of injustice, however I will not support a movement which has been hijacked by the extreme left and now has driven a massive divide in this country.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by Opuspocus
What drugs are you taking and can I have some?

Is that your actual response to my points?
Not going to bother to try and address any of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending