The Student Room Group

Can you work during your Nursing PG Dip?

Ok so I know that you can get student loans for postgrad studies now and a £5000 grant. There is also the option for the NHS to pay for your PG Dip.

I hope to save £12000 during my undergraduate degree to help with life costs during the PG Dip if I get onto one. This will be split over the 2 year study. so with the £5000 grant this will be £11000 per year.

Is there any possibilty to work during this PG Dip? (I will have a BSc Biomedicine degree) £11000 will just about cover rent for the year! Need to make sure I have money for bills, food, life etc!

Appreciate any help,

Thanks
Original post by Niknak91
Ok so I know that you can get student loans for postgrad studies now and a £5000 grant. There is also the option for the NHS to pay for your PG Dip.

I hope to save £12000 during my undergraduate degree to help with life costs during the PG Dip if I get onto one. This will be split over the 2 year study. so with the £5000 grant this will be £11000 per year.

Is there any possibilty to work during this PG Dip? (I will have a BSc Biomedicine degree) £11000 will just about cover rent for the year! Need to make sure I have money for bills, food, life etc!

Appreciate any help,

Thanks

It's really hard to say. It depends what sort of work your're happy doing, where you will be based, availability of jobs etc.

If you want a healthcare-related job they generally require 3-6 months experience so you can't rely on being able to do this immediately. Equally with the NHS nurse bank, they tend to require 6 months experience at least from student nurses and tend to recruit only a few times a year.

You also need to consider the fact that you will be doing academic work alongside hard shift work (plus possibly a decent commute at either end). You might find you have little time to look after yourself and therefore working can put a bit of undue strain on you. There is no point working yourself to the point where you are totally burnt out and have no time at all for yourself. Unfortunately lots of student nurses do this, and many have no other option, but it's important to consider the possible impact on your mental health.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending