Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/au...levels.schools

The above article is about a report which claims that students are choosing easy subjects over hard subjects - easy being English and History, and hard being Maths, Science and Languages.

Hmm, I want to study English Literature at uni, and go into advertising/journalism (something along those lines). You're right! I should have chosen Biology, Physics and Maths!

-headdesk-

Why didn't I see it before? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    They're generalising. Nothing wrong with that. It's true that people who opt to do Maths and the likes get lower grades than those who opt to do essay type subjects (as examiners are often more generous in awarding as it's subjective).

ReputationRep:
    Students are probably more likely to get higher grades in maths than english though. The problem is, sciences and maths depend a lot on ability. For someone who is good at maths its a very easy subject to take, possibly almost as easy as "film studies"

ReputationRep:
    History is impossible, why are they calling it easy? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)

The above article is about a report which claims that students are choosing easy subjects over hard subjects - easy being English and History, and hard being Maths, Science and Languages.

Hmm, I want to study English Literature at uni, and go into advertising/journalism (something along those lines). You're right! I should have chosen Biology, Physics and Maths!

-headdesk-

of course you should have !! Shame on you ! lol...
    What I don't get is why people always think Maths and Science are more difficult than History and Literature....It depends on what you are good at people !!

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised Peter Main got involved with commenting on that.

ReputationRep:
    i completely agree. students these days are indeed choosing EASY peasy subjects in fear of the fact their brains wont be able to get around calculus, newton's laws, etc.

i've never seen a more useless subject than history.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the students. It must be said that more students struggle with maths than with english. Most people can write a half decent essay in english that wouldnt be amazing, but would still scrape a pass. Whereas in maths, if you arent good, you arent good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    i completely agree. students these days are indeed choosing EASY peasy subjects in fear of the fact their brains wont be able to get around calculus, newton's laws, etc.

Yes, sir! :clap2:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    They almost have a point. I wouldn't say history was an easy subject, but a lot of people take 'non-subjects' like media and sociology, even the people who take these subjects (at my college at least) admit that they aren't real subjects. Also, employers would often choose someone with a maths A level over someone with a media A level even if media seems more related to the career as maths is a more respected subject.

What's annoying me is the media claiming that exams are really easy nowadays. Pah, I'd like to see them try them. If anything they should be getting harder, especially in subjects like science where a lot of progress is constantly being made meaning that curriculums have to contain more up to date and complex subjects in order to keep up.

ReputationRep:
    that is annoying. i found english really difficult this year. i had to work really hard to get my D (granted, it is a high D- and a pass - but still....). besides, most of my friends do chemistry and biology and say that it is just about memorising facts.
    and i agree with you OP, i want to do German at uni, and one of the lecturers that i spoke to (it was either Newcastle or Leeds) said that an A-level in English was good. there is no point in me taking stuff like physics and maths if i want to do an essay based subject.
    and to some people those subjects that are listed are easy. my brother could go into the exam without doing much work and come out with a good grade. yet in english he'd be in the percentage that would fail.

ReputationRep:
    this sort of thing drives me mental. im in sixth form in a grammar and we were all pretty much expected to take either maths or a science for a level because were 'able' and shouldnt be doing 'easy subject', like literatre or whatever. i loath science and maths so didnt take either but can it not be argued that maths is in reality easier than lit, because if your given a question in a maths exam, you have a formula to solve it. you dont get that for english, or any other essay subjects. which i adore.

ReputationRep:
    lol i just got a neg for my post. Why? A dose of reality for all you time wasters doing history and/or english?

Sorry but subjects like this will get you nowhere in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahhhD)
    History is impossible, why are they calling it easy? :eek:
    I agree!!

History A level is the hardest thing I've EVER done. The cw was ****ing impossible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)

right, whereas I am pretty sure I would be flying if I didn't know Newton's law of gravity. I am not saying that Science is useless, I am saying that every subject is useful as long as you like it.

*edit* lol...whoever negged him please send me a pm so I can rep you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)

-headdesk-

I think you're taking this a little too personally. They're trying to make a big story out of it, but really, the underlying facts are nothing new or surprising. Pass rates in the sciences are noticeably lower, and take-up has been falling for a long time. The trend is that students, as a whole, seem to be forgoing the more difficult subjects, with lower pass rates, in favour of those with higher ones. This is not to say there is anything wrong with individuals choosing the apparently "easier" subjects if that is what they are interested in - we need them too! - but is a reflection on the student body as a whole. If there's too big a shift, we end up with a skills shortage in these areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    right, whereas I am pretty sure I would be flying if I didn't know Newton's law of gravity. I am not saying that Science is useless, I am saying that every subject is useful as long as you like it.
    Most of the "history" you learn is all fabricated anyway. Hitler may have been a good man. You never know. Churchill may have been a genocide fanatic. Who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Aghhh it really annoys me when people go on about how much more easier we have it ... I worked my ass off for my As in Economics and Maths ... Sociology not so much but a lot of other people did!

Right after I got my results and I was really happy this dude my mom works with asked me what I got and when he found out I got all As he was like well the exams are piss easy now aren't they and I was like wtf no they are not! And he was saying yes they are, in my days I got away with two A levels and Cs and Ds and universities would ask for Bs and Cs

I was thinking right, go **** yourself :mad: its not easier, education is more valued now, there are a lot of competition, specially internationally, for seats, more people have a chance to go to university because of grants, loans, etc and we all just work damn hard for our not so easy to get As!

Right rant over!

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's generally accepted that on the whole sciences are more difficult than arts.

I don't agree with the article though, because if you take arty A levels you're limited to arty degrees which employers understand are (generally) not as difficult as science degrees. So in the end you reap what you sow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chooka)
    Depends on the students. It must be said that more students struggle with maths than with english. Most people can write a half decent essay in english that wouldnt be amazing, but would still scrape a pass. Whereas in maths, if you arent good, you arent good.

Nah, there's so much more to English than writing an essay. You have to learn hundreds of quotes (from diverse texts such as, say, PAradise LOst have you ever tried to read that!?) then analyse it (and random passages) in reallly tiny detail. There's months of practise before you can write an essay which hits all the AO's (Assessment objectives); you need to mention context. syntax, language, whatever... there's LOADS. It's not easy at all. Maths? Learn the formula, apply the formula, pass. There's no independant thought there whatsoever.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.