Why are people so confused between glasgow and strathclyde

Watch
aryanmayur
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Im doing research on both univs, as an international applicant , all i have is rankings and league table to compare. So glasgow has higher rank and rep everything. So why do people confuse themselves when they have both univs offer letters? Why not just go with the rank and reputation? Correct me. I really wanna know how strath is better despite low ranking compared to glasgow
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
strathclyde has a better reputation for engineering. my uncle went there and he was involved in the design of the queensferry crossing
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by MalcolmX)
strathclyde has a better reputation for engineering. my uncle went there and he was involved in the design of the queensferry crossing
Can you say the same for architecture?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Because one uni may be better or have a better ranking for certain subjects than the other despite the overall ranking of the uni being higher than the other
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by aryanmayur)
i'm not sure. though i do know strathclyde has a better reputation for civil engineering
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There's obv more to it, but Strathclyde uni is in the sh***y northside and Glasgow is in the poncy West End
ker2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think Glasgow does its architecture stuff in conjunction with the Glasgow School of Art. Don't know anything about it though. For arts Glasgow is miles ahead of Strathy though so given architecture is a wee bit more "arty" than engineering maybe Glasgow would be better. Glasgow's campus is also light years ahead of Strathy's (and is going to be even more so once they built this new extension they're doing). .
Last edited by ker2000; 7 months ago
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fermion.)
Because one uni may be better or have a better ranking for certain subjects than the other despite the overall ranking of the uni being higher than the other
And how do you make your decision based on, subject ranking or uni ranking?
I saw on league table strath comes 3rd after cambridge and bath for architecture and glasgow is nowhere near it so should i consider strath then?
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
There's obv more to it, but Strathclyde uni is in the sh***y northside and Glasgow is in the poncy West End
Strathclyde area is not good?
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ker2000)
I think Glasgow does its architecture stuff in conjunction with the Glasgow School of Art. Don't know anything about it though. For arts Glasgow is miles ahead of Strathy though so given architecture is a wee bit more "arty" than engineering maybe Glasgow would be better. Glasgow's campus is also light years ahead of Strathy's (and is going to be even more so once they built this new extension they're doing). .
Idk if people consider the league tables or not but strathclyde comes at 3rd for architecture in the league table after cambridge and bath. And glasgow doesnt. What should i consider then?
ker2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Idk if people consider the league tables or not but strathclyde comes at 3rd for architecture in the league table after cambridge and bath. And glasgow doesnt. What should i consider then?
Where is Glasgow in the league table? Glasgow's kind of just prestigious in its own right anyway regardless of what subject it is but I'm not sure how architecture careers work when it comes to what uni you went to, if it matters that much or not
ker2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Strathclyde area is not good?
its in a mostly really ugly and dirty part of the city centre, and there isn't much green space or anything. Glasgow Uni is in a pretty conservation area in the West End with a huge park and is also safer (not that the West End is by any means perfect though). Public transport links are probably about equally the same overall for both.
Lewis T K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Strathclyde is more of a technical based university, were as Glasgow is historically more of an arts based university. What you will find is that the university of Glasgow has a more international students and students from RUK, where as Strathclyde has more students actually from Glasgow. Both are brilliant universities. The university of Glasgow is a Russel Group university, where as Strathclyde is not, but Strathclyde does not really care about elitism.
Strathclyde is based in the city centre of Glasgow, I heard in this chat that someone said this isn’t as nice an area as the west end, what is completely subjective. The west end is not as busy and a little more expensive than the city centre, but the city centre is still a great cosmopolitan area. Additionally there is only like a 5min subway ride between each. Neither are dangerous, like I’ve heard people say. You’ll find that Glasgow’s outskirts that are more deprived are the only ‘dangerous’ areas
Strathclyde and Glasgow also offer different courses from one another, such as Strathclyde offers an MPharm course where as Glasgow does not, and Glasgow offers an MBChB course where as Strathclyde does not
Last edited by Lewis T K; 7 months ago
ker2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lewis T K)
Strathclyde is based in the city centre of Glasgow, I heard in this chat that someone said this isn’t as nice an area as the west end, what is completely subjective. The west end is not as busy and a little more expensive than the city centre, but the city centre is still a great cosmopolitan area.
The city centre as a whole sure but Townhead itself is a dump (and I'm from Coatbridge!). I mean....he/she can look at Google Street View if they want and see which part looks nicer....

And no neither part is "dangerous" but I definitely feel more safe walking about in the West End than the city centre (especially that part of it), I don't know how it is for guys though
Lewis T K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’m from Dumbarton and I’ve lived in both the west end and the city centre, yeah I get what you mean, the city centre is the conventionality less desirable area, but not to a massive extent
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ker2000)
Where is Glasgow in the league table? Glasgow's kind of just prestigious in its own right anyway regardless of what subject it is but I'm not sure how architecture careers work when it comes to what uni you went to, if it matters that much or not
Glasgow doesnt even come in the architecture league table.
I saw these league tables, strath stands #3 on completeuniversityguide and #14 on guardian respectively. No other scottish univ is there. Would that make strath #1 for pursuing architecture in scotland?

Name:  A92077A2-FAD0-4082-A988-E719B5059B7D.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  23.3 KB
Name:  A4FDC314-F96B-4A7F-A5FD-BD72AE9A851C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  18.4 KB

Also yes, even im puzzled what employer seeks more, the univ reputation more than whats in my portfolio and what i can do. Anyone help me out here
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lewis T K)
Strathclyde is more of a technical based university, were as Glasgow is historically more of an arts based university. What you will find is that the university of Glasgow has a more international students and students from RUK, where as Strathclyde has more students actually from Glasgow. Both are brilliant universities. The university of Glasgow is a Russel Group university, where as Strathclyde is not, but Strathclyde does not really care about elitism.
Strathclyde is based in the city centre of Glasgow, I heard in this chat that someone said this isn’t as nice an area as the west end, what is completely subjective. The west end is not as busy and a little more expensive than the city centre, but the city centre is still a great cosmopolitan area. Additionally there is only like a 5min subway ride between each. Neither are dangerous, like I’ve heard people say. You’ll find that Glasgow’s outskirts that are more deprived are the only ‘dangerous’ areas
Strathclyde and Glasgow also offer different courses from one another, such as Strathclyde offers an MPharm course where as Glasgow does not, and Glasgow offers an MBChB course where as Strathclyde does not
For masters in architecture, idk glasgow offers RIBA Part 2 or not. There is some course for part 2 but i think they are asking to do pgdip first to get into it. Whereas strathclyde has a direct part 2 course for international student which im seeking
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would say, personally, ignore the league tables as it is just a number next to a unis name and they can change every year even by a little bit - you can achieve a 2.1 or 1st anywhere as long as you put in the work
choose the uni that you can picture yourself at/feels right or like home

things to consider :
- university sports/societies
- nightlife
- distance from home/loved ones
- if you know anyone there you want to be with/avoid
- your offer grades
- course modules
- location of uni
- public transport links

to answer why are people confused between Glasgow and strathclyde - I didn't know people were confused between them, they don't offer all the same subjects
my personal bias is that I like Glasgow a wee bit more but that's probably due to the fact that strathclyde has the steep hill to climb lol

well done on your offers (sorry for the long reply)
Last edited by stereotypeasian; 7 months ago
ker2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
my personal bias is that I like Glasgow a wee bit more but that's probably due to the fact that strathclyde has the steep hill to climb lol
Or the steep hill to slip and fall on going down when it's icy haha. It's like a bloody ski jump.
Ruveen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Glasgow doesnt even come in the architecture league table.
I saw these league tables, strath stands #3 on completeuniversityguide and #14 on guardian respectively. No other scottish univ is there. Would that make strath #1 for pursuing architecture in scotland?

Name:  A92077A2-FAD0-4082-A988-E719B5059B7D.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  23.3 KB
Name:  A4FDC314-F96B-4A7F-A5FD-BD72AE9A851C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  18.4 KB

Also yes, even im puzzled what employer seeks more, the univ reputation more than whats in my portfolio and what i can do. Anyone help me out here
Hey there, the complete university guide's architecture listing is fairly accurate. But ultimately it's upto you to decide where you want to live. Each uni has a different course structure, some unis are more technical (like Bath) while others are more artsy (like Sheffield). But whatever you do, make sure that you choose a university with an Architecture course that is accredited by the RIBA and ARB, or you might as well learn it on youtube lol

Ruveen,
2nd Year Architecture Student,
University of Bath
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (339)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (269)
44.24%

Watched Threads