The Student Room Group

I have small veins- blood tests are hard!

I have to have blood tests each month for a medication I'm on. The first 4 tests went fine and the doctor was able to draw blood on the first go. the last 2 times though,I've had to have it done 3 times because they couldn't find a vein, and one doctor told me I have small veins ( I have a different doc each time) I know there's a couple factors in this: the experience of the doctor, and whether I've fasted (first 4 times I didn't) Is there any way to make this easier? I have a phobia of needles so it's a really stressful time when I have to have multiple done. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Milkandcookiess
I have to have blood tests each month for a medication I'm on. The first 4 tests went fine and the doctor was able to draw blood on the first go. the last 2 times though,I've had to have it done 3 times because they couldn't find a vein, and one doctor told me I have small veins ( I have a different doc each time) I know there's a couple factors in this: the experience of the doctor, and whether I've fasted (first 4 times I didn't) Is there any way to make this easier? I have a phobia of needles so it's a really stressful time when I have to have multiple done. Thank you!

Ok. In my experience nurses and phlebotomists are much better at taking blood than doctors!
What you shoukd do is go to the surgery etc and ask for advice from the secretary or nurses at the surgery. Give them warning about what the issues are. Ask them to examine your veins and yourr arms and tell them that they need to do a proper assessment plan before they try to take your blood because it is causing you a lot of stress that you think could be reduced a lot with careful plannjng! Stand up for your rights to proper health care.
Original post by mgi
Ok. In my experience nurses and phlebotomists are much better at taking blood than doctors!
What you shoukd do is go to the surgery etc and ask for advice from the secretary or nurses at the surgery. Give them warning about what the issues are. Ask them to examine your veins and yourr arms and tell them that they need to do a proper assessment plan before they try to take your blood because it is causing you a lot of stress that you think could be reduced a lot with careful plannjng! Stand up for your rights to proper health care.

Thank you so much, this really helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much, this really helps! :smile:

No problem.

I sometimes have this issue as well when they do blood tests :frown: :console: The perso who was doing it that day suggested to consistantly drink a load of water the day before and leading up to the appointment, so the water has time to get into the system (apparently makes the veins easier to feel).
Original post by Chronoscope
I sometimes have this issue as well when they do blood tests :frown: :console: The perso who was doing it that day suggested to consistantly drink a load of water the day before and leading up to the appointment, so the water has time to get into the system (apparently makes the veins easier to feel).

Thanku for the reply, I can't drink before because I have to fast before my test :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Chronoscope

No, the blood taker just needs to told in advance and to up their game tbh.
Reply 7
Drink a couple of litres of water before your test to juice up your veins. you prob already know about clenching your fist before they put in the needle.
Original post by mgi
No, the blood taker just needs to told in advance and to up their game tbh.

Being well hydrated really helps though.

I’m sorry you’re having this issue. As someone who is fully trained to administer cannulas I can say that it isn’t uncommon that you have small veins. What you can do is relax and pulse your veins so that the docs/nurses can see them better. May I ask what position do they place the tourniquet in please? This is quite crucial as the tourniquet holds most pressure on the arm.
Thanku for the reply, I can't drink before because I have to fast before my test :frown:

if it's fasting glucose/lipid profile, you should still be able to drink plain water beforehand
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
I’m sorry you’re having this issue. As someone who is fully trained to administer cannulas I can say that it isn’t uncommon that you have small veins. What you can do is relax and pulse your veins so that the docs/nurses can see them better. May I ask what position do they place the tourniquet in please? This is quite crucial as the tourniquet holds most pressure on the arm.

thank you for your reply! they place it about half of the way down my upper arm, and it's quite hard to relax, the doctor said themselves that I was shaking. But again thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Asklepios
if it's fasting glucose/lipid profile, you should still be able to drink plain water beforehand

That's strange- I'm fasting lipids but the doctor said not to drink anything, maybe it was a mistake?
thank you for your reply! they place it about half of the way down my upper arm, and it's quite hard to relax, the doctor said themselves that I was shaking. But again thank you for the advice :smile:

I fully understand it’ll be hard to relax but take your mind of it as much as you can. I know at times it’s often easier said than done and it is.

There are doctors that haven’t been trained to take bloods but they do so anyways. I know this may sound strange but it’s a common occurrence... especially during this pandemic.
That's strange- I'm fasting lipids but the doctor said not to drink anything, maybe it was a mistake?

Yeah, you can definitely drink plain water beforehand, just no juices, milk etc. (Although, the difference in fasting and non-fasting lipid levels is very very small anyway).
does your area have specific blood clinics you could go to for the test? they'll be doing them every day so will have the experience finding the best place to take it from.
Original post by Asklepios
Yeah, you can definitely drink plain water beforehand, just no juices, milk etc. (Although, the difference in fasting and non-fasting lipid levels is very very small anyway).

Thank you for that- I heard that water can help expand your veins, do you know if that's true?
Thank you for that- I heard that water can help expand your veins, do you know if that's true?

Drinking plenty of water helps to improve your vein health in two ways, improving the overall circulation of the blood by thinning it and strengthening the muscles that support your veins.

When you are properly hydrated your blood tends to be thinner. Thinner blood is not only easier for your body to circulate, but it is less likely to clot. Both poor blood circulation and blood clots can cause you to experience a number of painful problems such as varicose veins or deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Keeping well hydrated will help, but I would just drink to thirst rather than go overboard. Keeping your arms warm will help too

Not even water? Are you sure? That would be very unusual

Quick Reply

Latest