Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's just TSR, but are people beginning to think about going to uni earlier and earlier these days? I've seen people on here who have just had GCSE results (even year 10 GCSE results) and are already worried they won't be able to get into uni and thinking about "which uni can I apply to with these grades? Can I be this if I got this at GCSE?".

I'm sure when I was 15/16, and younger, I obviously wanted to get good grades, but it wasn't because I didn't think I could go to a top 5 university if I didn't get x number of A*s. I was really happy with my GCSE results but I was only really thinking about whether I could carry on the subject to A level or not. University was always a future goal for me, but I never really expected my GCSE results to matter too much.

Are GCSEs actually THAT important? I'm going to a top 10 university in October, and I *only* got 3A*s, and at the time, I didn't think that would affect me at all, in fact I thought it was really good. Now though, I see people on here who are convinced they can't go to a good uni unless they get 7+A*s.
    I swear by the time you get to A levels, no one cares about GCSEs, unless that's just the people I've come into contact with.

I'm wondering whether people on TSR need to chill a bit more...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I definitely didn't worry about uni or anything when I got my GCSE grades. In fact I was really happy with them, and seeing people here COMPLAINING that they got B's or A's makes me mad because I definitely wasn't a straight A*/A student at GCSE :eek: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. Your AS and A2 grades matter hell of a lot more!

I mean you've even got people in year 9 worrying about uni now. It's not for another 4 years yet! Goodness gracious. :p: ENJOY BEING YOUNG. You'll miss it later on and you were worrying for pretty much nothing!

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's like if they don't get a certain number of A*s, life is over, when in fact university isn't so simple. 10938927894 A*s do not make a good student.

ReputationRep:
    Every 16 year old who just recieved their results should be thinking of uni (If they wish to go) because obviously they should choose A-levels with a uni course in mind - year 10 and younger thing is wierd though yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I definitely didn't worry about uni or anything when I got my GCSE grades. In fact I was really happy with them, and seeing people here COMPLAINING that they got B's or A's makes me mad because I definitely wasn't a straight A*/A student at GCSE :eek: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. Your AS and A2 grades matter hell of a lot more!

I mean you've even got people in year 9 worrying about uni now. It's not for another 4 years yet! Goodness gracious. :p: ENJOY BEING YOUNG. You'll miss it later on and you were worrying for pretty much nothing!
    Glad it's not just me then! In fact, I know people who got 10 A*s at GCSE, who aren't going to top 5 universities..SHOCK HORROR...

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. I know people with AAAA who got rejected on the basis of GCSEs. Oxford Law are currently telling applicants they want 5A*s at GCSE for a competitive application (unless they went to a school that performs well below average and cambridge have an automatic pool, ie chance at a second interview for people who got AAAA in AS and 8 or more A*s at GCSE. Anything below an A/B in core subjects also doesn't bode well for competitive subjects at other top 5 unis. I know that 5 years ago when I took my subjects I was worried about university.

The Oxford access scheme is also targeting students who are in year 10 and even below to try and let them know what they need to be aiming for if they want a place before it is too late for them to put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I agree. It's like if they don't get a certain number of A*s, life is over, when in fact university isn't so simple. 10938927894 A*s do not make a good student.
    And also, it's AS levels that universities mainly base offers on (grades wise) and predicted grades, and usually, the step from GCSE to AS level is huge, so you can't really assume doing well at GCSE means you'll do well at AS level (I've seen lots of evidence of this, I'm sure everyone has!)

ReputationRep:
    Same - when I took my GCSEs (in 2002), the last thing on my mind was the relevance of my grades to university entry; I just wanted grades to be proud of.

I think some people on TSR have grown up in very different educational environments to the one I had.. but I also think TSR itself perpetuates the problem a little - though not wilfully - because if you get one person from a pressurised educational environment panicking about their GCSEs through the forum, the likelihood is that other TSR-users will pick up on the worry too, even if their school/family puts no such pressure on them.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's kind of a chain reaction kind of effect - as more and more people prepare earlier, others do the same to stay competitive. It's so tough to get into the top Unis nowadays that you kinda have to pay attention early. It's also often relevant to your options choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Agreed! i never gave a single thought about uni until the second year of college.. i took every year as it came.. something most people on here fail to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Same - when I took my GCSEs (in 2002), the last thing on my mind was the relevance of my grades to university entry.

I think some people on TSR have grown up in very different educational environments to the one I had.. but I also think TSR itself perpetuates the problem a little - though not wilfully - because if you get one person from a pressurised educational environment panicking about their GCSEs through the forum, the likelihood is that other TSR-users will pick up on the worry too, even if their school/family puts no such pressure on them.
    Yeah, definitely.

Makes me smile inside when I see year 10s with their GCSE grades and the exam board and exact mark in their signatures, because they're a world away from how I was at that age. I was really happy with my grades but I pretty much forgot about it after the initial YAYYY feeling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    And also, it's AS levels that universities mainly base offers on (grades wise) and predicted grades, and usually, the step from GCSE to AS level is huge, so you can't really assume doing well at GCSE means you'll do well at AS level (I've seen lots of evidence of this, I'm sure everyone has!)
    They only generally look at AS levels as an indicator of whether getting the grades for university is achievable. They don't usually even use them much at all, university offers are more often than not based on potential. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fool'sGold*)
    I don't know if it's just TSR, but are people beginning to think about going to uni earlier and earlier these days? I've seen people on here who have just had GCSE results (even year 10 GCSE results) and are already worried they won't be able to get into uni and thinking about "which uni can I apply to with these grades? Can I be this if I got this at GCSE?".

I'm sure when I was 15/16, and younger, I obviously wanted to get good grades, but it wasn't because I didn't think I could go to a top 5 university if I didn't get x number of A*s. I was really happy with my GCSE results but I was only really thinking about whether I could carry on the subject to A level or not. University was always a future goal for me, but I never really expected my GCSE results to matter too much.

Are GCSEs actually THAT important? I'm going to a top 10 university in October, and I *only* got 3A*s, and at the time, I didn't think that would affect me at all, in fact I thought it was really good. Now though, I see people on here who are convinced they can't go to a good uni unless they get 7+A*s.
    I swear by the time you get to A levels, no one cares about GCSEs, unless that's just the people I've come into contact with.

I'm wondering whether people on TSR need to chill a bit more...
    Ah no, I started thinking about university prospects when I was 14! I started ordering prospecti left, right and centre.

I was obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpyQueen)
    Yes it does. I know people with AAAA who got rejected on the basis of GCSEs. Oxford Law are currently telling applicants they want 5A*s at GCSE for a competitive application (unless they went to a school that performs well below average and cambridge have an automatic pool, ie chance at a second interview for people who got AAAA in AS and 8 or more A*s at GCSE. Anything below an A/B in core subjects also doesn't bode well for competitive subjects at other top 5 unis. I know that 5 years ago when I took my subjects I was worried about university.

The Oxford access scheme is also targeting students who are in year 10 and even below to try and let them know what they need to be aiming for if they want a place before it is too late for them to put the work in.
    I don't believe this. Oxbridge like A*s/As at GCSE, but there is no such requirement.

Please provide evidence to support your subjective post.

ReputationRep:
    I did care allot about what I got for GCSE, but more for my own sense of pride and accomplishment than uni courses (and I have met my own targets). However, TSRers in general probably do need to chill a little :cool: I am guilty of GCSE exam panicking myself, yet although I think GCSE's matter in that they act as a stepping stone to sixth form, they do not matter a HUGE amount when it comes to uni... I think TSR places a little bit too much importance on GCSE's. Of course, if you're looking at top uni's A*s and A's are useful to have :rolleyes: but they are not the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    I don't believe this. Oxbridge like A*s/As at GCSE, but there is no such requirement.

Please provide evidence to support your subjective post.
    I worked the recent open day at Worcester college and actually saw the law tutor say this to the college students who were there, then discussed afterwards how awful she felt having to say that when it was too late for them to do anything about it. Like I said, the grades are flexible if you ahd family illness or your school is below average, so it isn't set in stone, but it is still very important.

ReputationRep:
    I worked the recent open day at Worcester college and actually saw the law tutor say this to the college students who were there, then discussed afterwards how awful she felt having to say that when it was too late for them to do anything about it. Like I said, the grades are flexible if you ahd family illness or your school is below average, so it isn't set in stone, but it is still very important.
    What? So now Oxbridge rejects resits at GCSE aswell? If so, then competition is really becoming ridiculous, and the government need to make GCSEs AND A-levels harder. Much harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    What? So now Oxbridge rejects resits at GCSE aswell? If so, then competition is really becoming ridiculous, and the government need to make GCSEs AND A-levels harder. Much harder.
    I think they would frown upon resits unless there was a medical reason. Yes, competition is ridiculous to the extent that a lot of emphasis is put upon interview performance and yes the government should make gcses and a-levels much harder. Oxford and cambridge together take 2 per cent of students yet ten per cent make the AAA at A-level requirement, they can't interview five people per place, so they have to cut people off somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I think they would frown upon resits unless there was a medical reason. Yes, competition is ridiculous to the extent that a lot of emphasis is put upon interview performance and yes the government should make gcses and a-levels much harder. Oxford and cambridge together take 2 per cent of students yet ten per cent make the AAA at A-level requirement, they can't interview five people per place, so they have to cut people off somewhere.
    But surely the A* grade implementation should put less emphasis on GCSEs? I know that they're not going to make offers for the people doing it this year.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't care about uni after doing GCSE's, I didn't really care much until after I'd done my AS's

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.