Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    But surely the A* grade implementation should put less emphasis on GCSEs? I know that they're not going to make offers for the people doing it this year.
    Maybe. It remains to be seen. All I know is what advice they are giving out now.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i took C1 of AQA maths early during my GCSE's and got an E, one of a D. So, you're telling me i wouldn't stand a chance in getting into oxbridge now, purely upon the basis that i am going to retake a module which I acheived an E in after about 4 hours teaching? Stupid or what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooeee)
    Lol i took C1 of AQA maths early during my GCSE's and got an E, one of a D. So, you're telling me i wouldn't stand a chance in getting into oxbridge now, purely upon the basis that i am going to retake a module which I acheived an E in after about 4 hours teaching? Stupid or what.
    Individual module results are a different matter to retaking a whole course. Also, they would probably be aware of the policy of taking C1 early and retaking it later. Retaking whole GCSEs in key subjects would disadvantage you compared to someone who didn't so you would have to overperform in other areas to beat them to a place.

ALSO, in order to know to do the retakes you would have to be thinking about uni when you opened your GCSE envelope, otherwise you couldnt retake in time for the new grade to be on your application.

ReputationRep:
    i'm just worried my A level choices are going to muck up my life when it comes to choosing a uni

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeeh it really annoys me when people say that there is a right age to be thinking about universities. Everyone is different, and has different priorities, and in my humble opinion I think there is nothing to be lost by starting early and considering different places rather than attending a million open days in L6 and not being able to tell one place from another.

GCSE results aren't the be all and end all, as has been rightly stated before, but good grades will no doubt help if only in increasing your self confidence and belief in yourself so as to put yourself in the best position for achieving highly at AS and A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Last term I overheard a conversational between two year 8 boys talking about how "Imperial is the best university for...."

It was a bit of a shock, really. I wasn't even fully aware of the whole univeristy system when I was in year 8 - more concerned with having fun, rather than thinking about stuff like that.

Hmm, in a way it's good that he's aware of the system, but at the same time it's so so bad that that's what he's thinking about during the day when he's in lessons.

When you're 12, you should have different prioities - tree climbing, not natural sciences.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    some people do, including me, because im bored lol

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.