university of durham independent private a level pupil

Watch
fleur12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
does anybody know what durham will do for independent pupils who will not receive summer grades? my centre emailed them weeks ago to confirm they withdrew me from exams but I haven't heard anything since
ReeceMadden
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by fleur12)
does anybody know what durham will do for independent pupils who will not receive summer grades? my centre emailed them weeks ago to confirm they withdrew me from exams but I haven't heard anything since
Hi Fleur, I'm in a similar situation as your self.. I applied to Durham this year and listed the university as my first choice and I am a private student. I have had multiple correspondences with the undergraduate admissions team at Durham and have so far received generic responses in regards to them making a decision on my application.. " We are still looking into it.... We will be in contact soon..." I too also had the exam centre where I had planned to sit the exams send a email of confirmation to Durham as the centre has declined to give me any grades (as they felt they lacked sufficient supporting evidence). I did receive another email yesterday however, where I was informed that they would get back to most private candidates by today, although they stated that have competing deadlines in regards to people in our situation. So far I have had no email but I'm checking my emails regularly as I expect a decision sometime soon. I totally share your frustration of this uncertainty though!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ReeceMadden)
Hi Fleur, I'm in a similar situation as your self.. I applied to Durham this year and listed the university as my first choice and I am a private student. I have had multiple correspondences with the undergraduate admissions team at Durham and have so far received generic responses in regards to them making a decision on my application.. " We are still looking into it.... We will be in contact soon..." I too also had the exam centre where I had planned to sit the exams send a email of confirmation to Durham as the centre has declined to give me any grades (as they felt they lacked sufficient supporting evidence). I did receive another email yesterday however, where I was informed that they would get back to most private candidates by today, although they stated that have competing deadlines in regards to people in our situation. So far I have had no email but I'm checking my emails regularly as I expect a decision sometime soon. I totally share your frustration of this uncertainty though!
Have you heard anything yet? Will UCAS deadline yesterday they should have more idea regarding numbers now.
Have you got any A level grades (ie are were you retaking Alevels or were you home studying).
Rubbish situation - do you plan to sit exams in the Autumn/2021?
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you heard anything yet? Will UCAS deadline yesterday they should have more idea regarding numbers now.
Have you got any A level grades (ie are were you retaking Alevels or were you home studying).
Hi, no nothing as of yet. I do have some A-Levels but I decided to take some more as a private student, being mostly self taught (I’m not at sixth form or a college ect). I think I will retake in the next available exam season, even if it’s Autumn.. How about you, are you a private student, have you applied to Durham?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
Hi, no nothing as of yet. I do have some A-Levels but I decided to take some more as a private student, being mostly self taught (I’m not at sixth form or a college ect). I think I will retake in the next available exam season, even if it’s Autumn.. How about you, are you a private student, have you applied to Durham?
No I am normal (have an A*AA Durham offer) - will get grades but school is not great so prior, school results will probably limit what I will achieve (I got 4A* in mocks). However I have a few friends in your situation, although most are just retaking A levels - I think if you have some A level results this will help.

I will have some thinking to do about the Autumn series if I do not get what I think I was capable of but yet still get my place at Durham - will need to think about whether to just move on or not. Taking exams (back at home) in Oct whilst starting a degree 400 miles away does not really sound feasible.
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No I am normal (have an A*AA Durham offer) - will get grades but school is not great so prior, school results will probably limit what I will achieve (I got 4A* in mocks). However I have a few friends in your situation, although most are just retaking A levels - I think if you have some A level results this will help.

I will have some thinking to do about the Autumn series if I do not get what I think I was capable of but yet still get my place at Durham - will need to think about whether to just move on or not. Taking exams (back at home) in Oct whilst starting a degree 400 miles away does not really sound feasible.
What course are you doing, and what college have you been assigned to?

On the autumn exams I think they might be favourable for some people including myself. If I have to reapply next year and although the exact plans haven’t been announced, I read that exams will take place in November and results will be published in January.. Therefore if this is correct and results are published before the January UCAS apply deadline, one will know there grades and can apply to universities accordingly, as opposed to applying and receiving a conditional offer without knowing grades and waiting for results day in August like other years..

On the actual results I think each to their own. But personally I will probably retake the exams even if I get accepted into university. Like you though, I will have a logistics issue as I would be moving far from my exam centre.

Also in terms of future employment and from my experience A-Levels don’t really matter, it’s about the degree choice, uni and grade. A-Levels only have weight in the uni application process.
fleur12
Rep:
?
yes I am resitting 2 subjects out of 3.5 (did 3 subjects and epq in year 13) and I am 3 whole grades off of the conditional offer so I am very concerned. I did have personal issues but I am so worried they will not give us a chance to prove ourselves. Both of you won't be getting grades too then?

my centre emailed durham to verify I won't get grades but I have not heard anything since.........I emailed yesterday and they said they're still looking into options...what are these options do you think?

I have to attend university this year due to personal issues, so if durham does not accept me I will go through clearing...

Reece, did they contact you themselves or did you reach out before yesterday? When do you both think we will hear anything?
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yes I am resitting 2 subjects out of 3.5 (did 3 subjects and epq in year 13) and I am 3 whole grades off of the conditional offer so I am very concerned. I did have personal issues but I am so worried they will not give us a chance to prove ourselves. Both of you won't be getting grades too then?

my centre emailed durham to verify I won't get grades but I have not heard anything since.........I emailed yesterday and they said they're still looking into options...what are these options do you think?

I have to attend university this year due to personal issues, so if durham does not accept me I will go through clearing...

Reece, did they contact you themselves or did you reach out before yesterday? When do you both think we will hear anything?
I'm unsure of what they're thinking tbh as we are in strange times given covid. No real comparisons can be made from this year to another. For options it might be that if you don't get accepted they might give you the same offer if you re-apply next year.

I suspect however, that they will make a decision based on your whole application (personal statement, reference, predicted grades, current grades ect).

I have mainly contacted Durham first and then they have responded. My last correspondence with them was Wednesday where they advised me that I would get a decision Thursday or soon after. I hope that by this time next week we should know what's going on.
fleur12
Rep:
?
I'm unsure of what they're thinking tbh as we are in strange times given covid. No real comparisons can be made from this year to another. For options it might be that if you don't get accepted they might give you the same offer if you re-apply next year.

I suspect however, that they will make a decision based on your whole application (personal statement, reference, predicted grades, current grades ect).

I have mainly contacted Durham first and then they have responded. My last correspondence with them was Wednesday where they advised me that I would get a decision Thursday or soon after. I hope that by this time next week we should know what's going on.
Hi Reece. When they said we’d find out by next Thursday (25th of June) did they contact you to say it or did you ask? I haven’t received anything since they asked me to confirm and have my center verify they would not get my grades for 2020 Summer series

What grades did you get last year and what is your offer?
fleur12
Rep:
?
Reece I’m asking because when I contacted them they said they couldn’t say when they would make a decision
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Reece. When they said we’d find out by next Thursday (25th of June) did they contact you to say it or did you ask? I haven’t received anything since they asked me to confirm and have my center verify they would not get my grades for 2020 Summer series

What grades did you get last year and what is your offer?
I had an email two days ago advising me I should get a response yesterday or soon after, not next week. As I haven't received one I think I should get a reply by this time next week, hope that makes sense.

Also I asked and got a reply. But I had sent numerous emails before trying to get a definitive answer.

My circumstances are different from yours. I got an offer to achieve two B's.
fleur12
Rep:
?
I had an email two days ago advising me I should get a response yesterday or soon after, not next week. As I haven't received one I think I should get a reply by this time next week, hope that makes sense.

Also I asked and got a reply. But I had sent numerous emails before trying to get a definitive answer.

My circumstances are different from yours. I got an offer to achieve two B's.
Sorry I misunderstood but that’s great that we should hear next week hopefully

Is Durham your firm UCAS choice? Also did they say anything else any other hints?

What are we actually finding out next week?
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry I misunderstood but that’s great that we should hear next week hopefully

Is Durham your firm UCAS choice? Also did they say anything else any other hints?

What are we actually finding out next week?
Yes first choice. I take it it is yours too, what have you applied to study, and have you been allocated to a college yet?

And they didn’t say much. I think we will find out if we have been accepted.
fleur12
Rep:
?
Yes first choice. I take it it is yours too, what have you applied to study, and have you been allocated to a college yet?

And they didn’t say much. I think we will find out if we have been accepted.
How many private candidates do you think there actually are that won’t get grades that have firmed Durham? I hope there aren’t too many....

I have applied for English what did you apply for? I was allocated to the Van Mildert college after applying for Snow so I am disappointed! What about you
ReeceMadden
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How many private candidates do you think there actually are that won’t get grades that have firmed Durham? I hope there aren’t too many....

I have applied for English what did you apply for? I was allocated to the Van Mildert college after applying for Snow so I am disappointed! What about you
I’m going to send you a private message.
fleur12
Rep:
?
Is there anyone else ??
fleur12
Rep:
?
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.35%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.46%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.01%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.92%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.88%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.9%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed