xe.abi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm studying classics next year for my gcses but I don't know what books to get, is it possible if I could get a list please. That would really help.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
By classics, do you mean Classical Civ, Latin, Ancient Greek?

Ask your teacher/school what textbooks you’ll use and if you will need to buy them. Normally you just get given your books in class on day 1 and then have to return them at the end of the course, so you don’t need to worry about it now
rxyaltyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
if you're doing latin/ancient greek get the gcse to latin/ancient greek. they're really good
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by xe.abi)
Hi, I'm studying classics next year for my gcses but I don't know what books to get, is it possible if I could get a list please. That would really help.
Hi xe.abi!

I studied classics and this really depends on what your exam board is with and whether your course is latin/classical civilisation etc. It really does vary so I recommend asking your GCSE teachers and researching which exam board you are with and what your GCSE will include. For example, I did the Cambridge latin course so I got the Cambridge latin textbooks.

I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep
xe.abi
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
By classics, do you mean Classical Civ, Latin, Ancient Greek?

Ask your teacher/school what textbooks you’ll use and if you will need to buy them. Normally you just get given your books in class on day 1 and then have to return them at the end of the course, so you don’t need to worry about it now
I'm doing classical civilisation
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm doing classical civilisation
Ah ok! If you want to know about your required textbooks, you’ll need to ask your school, but if you’d like some further reading do say and the TSR hive mind will have a few suggestions
xe.abi
Rep:
?
I would like to do some further reading

Ah ok! If you want to know about your required textbooks, you’ll need to ask your school, but if you’d like some further reading do say and the TSR hive mind will have a few suggestions
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would like to do some further reading
That's amazing when you haven't started GCSE yet, wow! I'm going to reference quite a few books, but no one will be expecting you to do further reading until A level really, so just pick anything you find interesting and don't give up or assume you'll do badly if it's difficult.

One of the obvious places to start would be to read some texts in translation - literature-wise, the Iliad, Odyssey (note: if you want to read Homeric epic, get a character list, ideally one that includes patronymics) and Aeneid are obvious choices, but some Greek tragedy (say Medea or the Oresteia) might be more accessible. History-wise, it's Livy and Tacitus. More realistically, you might enjoy some fictionalised history - I, Claudius or the Imperium plays. Mary Beard also writes amazing and thoughtful texts on the Classical world; SPQR is a bit intimidating, but Confronting the Classics is an essay collection and more fun! Eidolon (https://eidolon.pub/) is an online Classics magazine discussing Classical texts and discourse in Classical education, which is really interesting too.

Good luck and enjoy
xe.abi
Rep:
?
That's amazing when you haven't started GCSE yet, wow! I'm going to reference quite a few books, but no one will be expecting you to do further reading until A level really, so just pick anything you find interesting and don't give up or assume you'll do badly if it's difficult.

One of the obvious places to start would be to read some texts in translation - literature-wise, the Iliad, Odyssey (note: if you want to read Homeric epic, get a character list, ideally one that includes patronymics) and Aeneid are obvious choices, but some Greek tragedy (say Medea or the Oresteia) might be more accessible. History-wise, it's Livy and Tacitus. More realistically, you might enjoy some fictionalised history - I, Claudius or the Imperium plays. Mary Beard also writes amazing and thoughtful texts on the Classical world; SPQR is a bit intimidating, but Confronting the Classics is an essay collection and more fun! Eidolon (https://eidolon.pub/) is an online Classics magazine discussing Classical texts and discourse in Classical education, which is really interesting too.

Good luck and enjoy
Thanks, but because my school is doing women in the ancient world and the Homeric world, so do I read the odyssey, Homeric epic and that it.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks, but because my school is doing women in the ancient world and the Homeric world, so do I read the odyssey, Homeric epic and that it.
If you want to get a head start on your topics, it might be best to ask your school/teacher? Reading the Odyssey and Iliad would definitely be good background reading, but they're bloody hard to access as a beginner on your own, imo, so you might also want to look into a study guide or a well-annotated/footnoted edition. Pat Barker's The Silence of the Girls is a really good fictional retelling of the Iliad from a female perspective as well (https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...k-review-iliad). Feminist reworkings of Classical texts are quite a Thing at the moment (Madeleine Miller, Natalie Hayes) so do check that sub-genre out.
Last edited by becausethenight; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads