TSR supports Black Lives Matter - How?

Watch
username5287448
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I was delighted to see that TSR supports Black Lives Matter, however my joy was cut short when I opened the thread and there was little explanation as to exactly what this this website is actively doing to support the vital work in ending racism.

I agree we must tighten up on anti-racism and banning members who post and promote racial-bigotry, however all websites should be doing this, by law. We must ask ourselves what TSR is doing to support Black Lives Matter, the living breathing moment.

If TSR truly cares about Black Lives, then they should put their money where their mouth is and pledge a percentage of their profits, to go towards the movement, anything less is simply #Whitewashing
username5287448
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ziggy_)
lol nice trolling
how's the aspergers? what's your obsession?
I am not trolling, many companies are actively supporting the BLM movement. Why should TSR, a company with fewer overheards than most be any different?

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...n-etsy-palace/

Companies which agree that Black lives matter:

1. MatchesFashion
2. H&M Group
3. Nike & Jordan
4. PrettyLittleThing
5. Palace
6. Etsy
7. Amazon
8. Asos
9. Sainsburys
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I suggest that you post how you feel on the official thread, not make a whole different thread about it.
Ziggy_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ChrisTheAspie)
I was delighted to see that TSR supports Black Lives Matter, however my joy was cut short when I opened the thread and there was little explanation as to exactly what this this website is actively doing to support the vital work in ending racism.

I agree we must tighten up on anti-racism and banning members who post and promote racial-bigotry, however all websites should be doing this, by law. We must ask ourselves what TSR is doing to support Black Lives Matter, the living breathing moment.

If TSR truly cares about Black Lives, then they should put their money where their mouth is and pledge a percentage of their profits, to go towards the movement, anything less is simply #Whitewashing
TSR have no responsibillity to promote BLM
it's fairly obvious they're all for racial equality. i reckon if you looked at the demographics of the people who use this site, majority would be BAME anyway.

There's a big difference between making racist jokes on the internet and cops killing black guys in the streets. TSR shouldn't be forced to pander to the BLM movement as well
username5287448
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ziggy_)
TSR have no responsibillity to promote BLM
it's fairly obvious they're all for racial equality. i reckon if you looked at the demographics of the people who use this site, majority would be BAME anyway.

There's a big difference between making racist jokes on the internet and cops killing black guys in the streets. TSR shouldn't be forced to pander to the BLM movement as well
The BLM movement is a reaction to racist police men and women killing Black people. TSR has expressed support for the idea that Black Lives Matter and I want them to prove it, by making good on their promise to show support in a real way.
Ziggy_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The BLM movement is a reaction to racist police men and women killing Black people. TSR has expressed support for the idea that Black Lives Matter and I want them to prove it, by making good on their promise to show support in a real way.
But why should they? They're a student platform, they have nothing to do with the police or institutional racism.
Their main priority is focussing on helping students. And I imagine most students on here wouldn't be interested in more BLM focus on this website.
lsc2002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am not trolling, many companies are actively supporting the BLM movement. Why should TSR, a company with fewer overheards than most be any different?

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...n-etsy-palace/

Companies which agree that Black lives matter:

1. MatchesFashion
2. H&M Group
3. Nike & Jordan
4. PrettyLittleThing
5. Palace
6. Etsy
7. Amazon
8. Asos
9. Sainsburys
Look at the size of those companies compared to TSR and you may have your answer...
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I agree we must tighten up on anti-racism and banning members who post and promote racial-bigotry,

You don't actually combat racism and bigotry by 'banning people': you aim to shine a light on it and expose it for what it is. 'Banning' things just drives it underground, where it thrives. Which is presumably what happened when 8chan was driven off the clear web.

Don't be silly.

Truly caring about BLM ≠ Spunking money.

That's what we call 'tokenism', and we're trying to avoid that.
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Putting in money doesn't suddenly make all the racists go away and TSR should do this if they want to not because you want to
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

So your view is anyone who doesnt give their money to blacks/black charities is "whitewashing" ? :rofl:
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They support it because like many companies jumping on the bandwagon, it looks good to show "support" for the currently trending popular movement.

What they don't do is support it in any meaningful way just a "we agree with this message" kind of way about as meaningful as saying nothing at all because they both have the name end result. Nothing.

Some people call me cynical, I'm not sure why
Last edited by DiddyDec; 4 months ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
They support it because like many companies jumping on the bandwagon, it looks good to show "support" for the currently trending popular movement.

What they don't do is support it any meaningful way just a "we agree with this message" kind of way about as meaningful as saying nothing at all because they both have the name end result. Nothing.

Some people call me cynical, I'm not sure why
a cynic is what an idealist calls a realist
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya,

Just to confirm, we'll be updating our main thread on this with information about our plans, which we're currently working on.

BB
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
You don't actually combat racism and bigotry by 'banning people': you aim to shine a light on it and expose it for what it is. 'Banning' things just drives it underground, where it thrives. Which is presumably what happened when 8chan was driven off the clear web.
Underground sounds better than on TSR? why not get rid of the racists?
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

TSR seems to be jumping on the bandwagon like many other companies because it’s good PR and currently a ‘trend’ - (this isn’t anything against solely TSR, but across many companies).

It would be good if companies showed more support by donating money to charities fighting racism/BAME inequality, but saying one thing and taking action are two different things.

What companies should do is take racism far more seriously and look at racism within their own organisations, aswell as diversifying staff from a range of ethnic/cultural backgrounds and looking at racial discrepancies in treatment of staff.

If companies did want to actually ‘help’, they could share petitions/charities with their followers/audience/customer/base to spread awareness and take action against systematic racism in their own organisations. But saying #blacklivesmatter alone won’t bring about change.

Obviously TSR aren’t like these companies in the sense that their an online student forum, but I believe racism - whether direct or implied as with many posts on TSR, should have action taken against them.

But saying ‘Black Lives Matter’ alone has the same effect as saying nothing.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you see a post which is in breach of any of the below rules, you are able to report it so that it can be removed.

TSR Community GuidelinesPlease don’t express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views.
Please don’t insult or patronise people.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...ity-guidelines

TSR Site Rules and Guidelines in DetailTreat other users with respect
- Respect the opinions of others and their privacy. Don’t post personal details of others without their explicit consent and don’t post personal email addresses (including your own) on the public forums.
- Be friendly to other members.
- Don’t insult people, don’t patronise or belittle them, don’t make personal attacks.
- Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing – there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here. We recognise that discussion of certain social and political issues may legitimately require the use of sensitive or potentially offensive terms, but outside of those limited contexts the use of such terms is not allowed on this site.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq...lines_detailed
username5287448
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnm)
TSR seems to be jumping on the bandwagon like many other companies because it’s good PR and currently a ‘trend’ - (this isn’t anything against solely TSR, but across many companies).

It would be good if companies showed more support by donating money to charities fighting racism/BAME inequality, but saying one thing and taking action are two different things.

What companies should do is take racism far more seriously and look at racism within their own organisations, aswell as diversifying staff from a range of ethnic/cultural backgrounds and looking at racial discrepancies in treatment of staff.

If companies did want to actually ‘help’, they could share petitions/charities with their followers/audience/customer/base to spread awareness and take action against systematic racism in their own organisations. But saying #blacklivesmatter alone won’t bring about change.

Obviously TSR aren’t like these companies in the sense that their an online student forum, but I believe racism - whether direct or implied as with many posts on TSR, should have action taken against them.

But saying ‘Black Lives Matter’ alone has the same effect as saying nothing.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything written here and you have expressed what I had wanted to say better than I ever could.
Braces
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm literally yawning as I go through this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads