The Student Room Group

Deferring Bristol offer to 2021

I recently firmed my offer to study mathematics at Bristol for 2020 entry. I'm completely regretting not applying for deferred entry. I contacted Bristol and they directed me to my applicant dashboard where I can request a deferral but i'm wondering what to write in the "comments" section - Do I need to explain why I want to defer? What I plan to do in the year off?
For context, I have a parent with a serious health condition which has caused my family a lot of stress in the past few months. As well as this I don't feel mentally ready to start university in October. I'm feeling completely drained and can't fathom the thought of starting uni in a few months.
Would I have to go into detail to the university about my parent's health condition and why it would affect my studies?

Any help appreciated.
I think the assumption at the moment would be that any deferral is linked to Covid and universities seem to be varying in how they manage that. I would give a couple of sentences to say something along the lines of 'I am firmly committed to studying Mathematics at Bristol, however the health issues relating to a close relative mean that I am seeking to defer my place until 2021. I would be grateful if you would consider this request favourably'
Original post by art3mls
I recently firmed my offer to study mathematics at Bristol for 2020 entry. I'm completely regretting not applying for deferred entry. I contacted Bristol and they directed me to my applicant dashboard where I can request a deferral but i'm wondering what to write in the "comments" section - Do I need to explain why I want to defer? What I plan to do in the year off?
For context, I have a parent with a serious health condition which has caused my family a lot of stress in the past few months. As well as this I don't feel mentally ready to start university in October. I'm feeling completely drained and can't fathom the thought of starting uni in a few months.
Would I have to go into detail to the university about my parent's health condition and why it would affect my studies?

Any help appreciated.

I would go into about the same amount of detail you have given us but perhaps also divulge the name of your parents health condition to them - if they want more details they can ask for them but you sound like you have good reasons for wanting to defer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending