lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
In dialysis machines, when useful and harmful substances diffuse out of the blood into the dialysis fluid, and then useful substances in huge concentration in the dialysis diffuse back into the blood, what is stopping the tiny harmful substances that also diffused out of the blood also diffusing back into the blood ?

Thanks,
Stuntman_82
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
In dialysis machines, when useful and harmful substances diffuse out of the blood into the dialysis fluid, and then useful substances in huge concentration in the dialysis diffuse back into the blood, what is stopping the tiny harmful substances that also diffused out of the blood also diffusing back into the blood ?

Thanks,
Diffusion is not a specific process so both useful and waste products can enter and exit as the blood flows. But what removes the toxins is the special dialysis fluids that the filtered blood comes in contact with and it does a great job. However, there is still a small proportion that will still get back into the body so it is not a perfect filter, I guess.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Stuntman_82)
Diffusion is not a specific process so both useful and waste products can enter and exit as the blood flows. But what removes the toxins is the special dialysis fluids that the filtered blood comes in contact with and it does a great job. However, there is still a small proportion that will still get back into the body so it is not a perfect filter, I guess.
This makes sense.

Thank you.
Jpw1097
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)

Thanks,
Try to understand that diffusion is a dynamic process. Suppose you have lots of toxic substances in the blood (e.g. urea), and very little in the dialysis fluid. Urea molecules will move from the blood into the dialysis fluid, and other urea molecules will move from the dialysis fluid into the blood. However, because there are more urea molecules in the blood, more urea will leave the blood and enter the dialysis fluid than the other way around, it is not a one-way system. And yes, a small amount of urea will remain in the blood.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (572)
34.35%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (684)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.5%

Watched Threads