Does applying for multiple courses at the same school impact my chances?

Watch
username5321350
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to apply to UCL for both Biological Sciences and Architecture, will this in any way impact my admissions changes for either?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes

It will severely damage your chances of getting an offer. Particularly in architecture at the Bartlett which rejects over 90% of applications
Telomere
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Makes it exceptionally difficult to write a coherent personal statement. Far from ideal when you want a high ranking uni.
ninjacaty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by v3dika)
I want to apply to UCL for both Biological Sciences and Architecture, will this in any way impact my admissions changes for either?
It gives them the impression that you don´t have a clear vision of where you´re headed. Universities like students who know what they want and who are determined to put in the effort to achieve their goal.. If you applied for politics and international relations, this wouldn´t be such a big problem.
And how do you plan on writing the personal statement? Write one paragraph about architecture and the next one about biology?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by v3dika)
Hey v3dika!

With you applying for very different courses it would be really hard to write a great personal statement where you can sell yourself, your interests, and love for the subject, which will put you at a significant disadvantage. I applied for a couple of different courses, but they were all related, and if you read my personal statement you would assume it was for each individual course. (if that makes sense) I would advise against it as it will make it more difficult for you to get in.

Hope that helps!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads