claudiasalerno
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So founder populations usually have less genetic variation and there is a greater likelihood of inheriting genetic diseases due to mutations.
Can someone explain me that since i dont get it? 🙂
Stuntman_82
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by claudiasalerno)
So founder populations usually have less genetic variation and there is a greater likelihood of inheriting genetic diseases due to mutations.
Founder effect is quite a complex topic since I am not a biologist. But I'll try explaining it...

Founder populations are often smaller than the original population. Also, there is always a background level of genetic mutation in all population. According to the Hardy-Weinberg, the heterzygous allele carriers in a population (the 2pq in the equation), act as a reservoir for genetic mutations. When the population is small, the chances of two heterzygous individuals with same mutated alleles mating is higher than in a larger population. So their offspring is more likely to inherit mutated alleles and a recessive genetic mutation.

It's a difficult topic to learn and to teach but I hope my explanation has helped.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by claudiasalerno)
I will give my best to help you. A founder population as you certainly know is a consequence of isolated individuals of a mother population. Both populations, the mother and the founder one, have their individuals with their genetic mutations, but the difference is the number of individuals within a population. In the mother population the number of individuals is bigger than in the founder one. That is to say that it is more likely that individuals inherited their mutated allels over the next generations in a founder population to change the gene pool. The smaller the population, the more likely it is to change the genetics of a whole population by mutation over the next generations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads