What is good to include in a law personal statement other than books

Watch
Jesscruzx
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently trying to write my personal statement but I’m getting stuck on what to write about , Ik it’s good include things like extra reading etc buh it sounds basic as in so similar to other personal statements so idk what to do :/
Thankyou if you can help !
Tinders
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Any work experience you've done, any visits to courts, things like debating or public speaking, something in the news that you've read recently, that you've found interesting that is related to Law.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
@Tinders I haven’t got any work experience and obvs can’t get it right now do you know any alternatives and Thankyou !
Euphoria101
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Reading a book and discussing it isn’t basic, it’s a great way to show exploration - going out of your way to learn about the subject. It shows interest, and when discussed properly in a good personal statement, you show the admissions team what you’ve learned, you can link it to other things (eg if you’ve learned something about XYZ, you can link it to current affairs to show you understand and can manipulate information).

Anyway, other things to mention are:
Podcasts, work experience, ‘supercurriculars’ (eg I write for my school’s newspapers and did some articles on current affairs), documentaries, court visits...
Tinders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jesscruzx)
@Tinders I haven’t got any work experience and obvs can’t get it right now do you know any alternatives and Thankyou !
In my personal statement I included:

Why I'm interested in the law
2 interesting legal cases that were in the news and how this has further driven me to study law.
My EPQ
My A-levels and how they relate to a Law degree
A text that I've read.

That got me offers from RG unis.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
That’s amazing I’m Tryna get into a RG uni and Thankyou I just Dk how one of my a level link , Thankyou for the help and sorry what is a EPQ?
Tinders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That’s amazing I’m Tryna get into a RG uni and Thankyou I just Dk how one of my a level link , Thankyou for the help and sorry what is a EPQ?
EPQ was on terrorist prosecutions since 1997 and whether or not they are compatible with human rights. My actual title was very long 😂.
What A-levels do you do, let's see if we can get them to link.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
History , Criminology , Travel and tourism and Awh right okay do you suggest I do one , do you briefly mention it in ur statement or ? Thankyou so much for this sorry for all the questions 😂
Tinders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
History , Criminology , Travel and tourism and Awh right okay do you suggest I do one , do you briefly mention it in ur statement or ? Thankyou so much for this sorry for all the questions 😂
History and Criminology are quite easy... with Travel and Tourism you could relate it to company law??? definitley a stretch but you don't need to mention them all.

For my EPQ I mentioned it quite briefly. All I mentioned was that I was doing one and gave the title. I would definitely recommend doing an EPQ for so many reasons. 1 It can lower entry requirements, 2 it can confirm that you are studying the right thing and 3 it is fun!! Don't do one if you think it will impact your A-levels though.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
Okay great thankuou and you know w your EPQ can you do it independently or is it with the school ? How do you exactly do one @Tinders
Tinders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Okay great thankuou and you know w your EPQ can you do it independently or is it with the school ? How do you exactly do one @Tinders
I did mine with my college. Most places that offer it have one or two people who oversee all the EPQ students and guide them through the process. EPQ's are quite a simple process it's just a lot of paperwork and a lot of work. Although if you wanted to, you could do it independently; I'm not sure how that would work.
Jesscruzx
Rep:
@Tinders okay great Thankyou and last question ahah how do you come up w a topic because I want to do criminal law
Tinders
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
@Tinders okay great Thankyou and last question ahah how do you come up w a topic because I want to do criminal law
Trial and error really. Although I was lucky enough to be able to speak to a QC about what my question should be. But tbh come up with a title which could be anything to do with criminal law, then as you research you can mould it and change it to suit what you are researching
Jesscruzx
Rep:
@Tinders okay great Thankyou !!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You don't need to mention your A Levels - focus on things you have done outside of school related to law, and talk about why they were interesting. And you don't need work experience for a law degree
Jesscruzx
Rep:
(Original post by Euphoria101)
Reading a book and discussing it isn’t basic, it’s a great way to show exploration - going out of your way to learn about the subject. It shows interest, and when discussed properly in a good personal statement, you show the admissions team what you’ve learned, you can link it to other things (eg if you’ve learned something about XYZ, you can link it to current affairs to show you understand and can manipulate information).

Anyway, other things to mention are:
Podcasts, work experience, ‘supercurriculars’ (eg I write for my school’s newspapers and did some articles on current affairs), documentaries, court visits...
Okay great thanks I just thought it’s quite generic as most people do it for their statements
Jesscruzx
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
You don't need to mention your A Levels - focus on things you have done outside of school related to law, and talk about why they were interesting. And you don't need work experience for a law degree
Okay Thankyou I can’t write much Cos I haven’t had the chance to do stuff Cos of corona
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What have you done so far? Reading is so good for a law degree, especially if you consider what it is like. It wont be similar if you make it personal to what you've done. Write about what made you interested in law, what you did from that to make you want to do a law course and what makes you a good candidate for that course.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Okay Thankyou I can’t write much Cos I haven’t had the chance to do stuff Cos of corona
There's plenty you can do virtually - in fact, this is probably the best time to be able to do extra reading/watching/listening stuff related to your course
Jesscruzx
Rep:
@Interrobang @PetitePanda Thankyou so much and I’ve read Some Raymond wacks books, do you guys know what would be the best way to start the personal statement like ik what to write about now I just have no idea of how to start it everytime I’ve tried 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads