The Student Room Group

Math for Computer Science

Hello,

I got accepted to study computer science this year. It has been 10 years since I went to school, therefore I want to revise my math skills.

Will I be fine if I only revise GCSE math or is A Level needed? I have plenty of time now therefore want to make sure I focus on the math topics needed.

Thank you all for your help :smile:
If the course doesn't specify A-level Maths is required in its entry criteria then just GCSE is fine, although you will probably then cover some A-level content in the degree itself at some point (probably in first year). If A-level Maths is normally a requirement for the course you may need to do a bit more work to catch up.

I would probably recommend focusing on any algebra, functions, vectors, and graphs content from GCSE at the least, as I imagine these are the areas most likely to be built on. It might be worth looking at some of the AS level topics on those areas as well if you have time and are confident in the GCSE topics, even if A-level Maths isn't required for the course, as you'll probably do some work in those areas anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If the course doesn't specify A-level Maths is required in its entry criteria then just GCSE is fine, although you will probably then cover some A-level content in the degree itself at some point (probably in first year). If A-level Maths is normally a requirement for the course you may need to do a bit more work to catch up.

I would probably recommend focusing on any algebra, functions, vectors, and graphs content from GCSE at the least, as I imagine these are the areas most likely to be built on. It might be worth looking at some of the AS level topics on those areas as well if you have time and are confident in the GCSE topics, even if A-level Maths isn't required for the course, as you'll probably do some work in those areas anyway.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending