Ear canal inflammation ("swimmers ear") pain and discomfort, need advice please

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am using ear drops with hydrocortisone and antibiotics for an ear canal inflammation (otitis externa) and I used them today 3 doses.I was supposed to use 3 doses yesterday also but I only used 1 then... Now after the last dose of today my ear is aching. It's shooting pain inside the ear and before I had only discomfort/pressure. I'm wondering is this normal with ear canal inflammation and did anyone else experience this?

I don't know if the sudden pain is because of the ear drops or maybe because I massaged so much on my ear flap to get the drops down, they're very hard to get into the ear it takes 15 minutes and when it had been in my ear a few minutes I heard a hissing like air and then crackling, then the drops came out a few minutes later now there is shooting pain but even before I went to the doctor I had shooting pains in my temple which he told me is referred pain from my ear. I also have started getting fluid from my ear which is clear, I didn't have that before.

I didn't even know I had ear problems when I went to the doctor yesterday because I went to the doctor for the pain in my temple which had been bad for 2 days and I didn't even start to feel discomfort in my ear until later that day but now i'm concerned because shouldn't the ear drops reverse any symptoms but the symptoms just keep multiplying. Is that because I just got started with the drops and because the inflammation is new or am I having side effects does anyone know? I never had any kind of ear inflammation before. Thanks. x
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am using ear drops with hydrocortisone and antibiotics for an ear canal inflammation (otitis externa) and I used them today 3 doses.I was supposed to use 3 doses yesterday also but I only used 1 then... Now after the last dose of today my ear is aching. It's shooting pain inside the ear and before I had only discomfort/pressure. I'm wondering is this normal with ear canal inflammation and did anyone else experience this?

I don't know if the sudden pain is because of the ear drops or maybe because I massaged so much on my ear flap to get the drops down, they're very hard to get into the ear it takes 15 minutes and when it had been in my ear a few minutes I heard a hissing like air and then crackling, then the drops came out a few minutes later now there is shooting pain but even before I went to the doctor I had shooting pains in my temple which he told me is referred pain from my ear. I also have started getting fluid from my ear which is clear, I didn't have that before.

I didn't even know I had ear problems when I went to the doctor yesterday because I went to the doctor for the pain in my temple which had been bad for 2 days and I didn't even start to feel discomfort in my ear until later that day but now i'm concerned because shouldn't the ear drops reverse any symptoms but the symptoms just keep multiplying. Is that because I just got started with the drops and because the inflammation is new or am I having side effects does anyone know? I never had any kind of ear inflammation before. Thanks. x
You should go back to your GP or speak to a pharmacist for advice.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You should go back to your GP or speak to a pharmacist for advice.
I am feeling better today, ear drops went in easy earlier but I still feel some ear fullness and headache on my right side probably radiating from my ear like the doctor thought.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed