Turn on thread page Beta

What skills do you need to do well in GCSE? watch

Announcements

• PS Helper

PS Helper
    What the hell?

ReputationRep:
    You need to be self-motivated and have the 'desire' to actually get your head down and work whe the exam sesh starts to kick in.

Be prepared is probably the best pice of advice I can give in order for you to be successful during your GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    a kick ass memory and the ability to cope well with sleep deprivation

ReputationRep:
    memory memory memory and caffiene pills

ReputationRep:
    Motivation, A*s don't come easily as most teachers say! (actually they do come pretty easily :P). Also be good at sucking up to your teachers and be in their good books. It really does pay off and most of them do help you achieve the highest possible grades e.g. allowing you to re-draft coursework pieces 500 times even though you're probably only allowed to do it once or twice.

ReputationRep:
    Ever get the feeling some people are just TOO academic?

ReputationRep:
    the skill to hold a pen and write your name

ReputationRep:
    Several brain cells. :P

I don't mean that. >.> <.<

ReputationRep:
    Just be perceptive, and open to new information. At GCSE the questions cannot change drastically, for example, one question in geography I've seen a few times is on the adaptations of coniferous trees in cold climates. Once you get the answer into your head, you can "forget" it (but not literally) until your exam.

Oh, and also sometimes it's best not to use your common sense. E.g. in coursework, examiners love to hear you make conclusions which link the whole of your coursework together, and they love to get quotes and stuff. It's an easy way into their good books :p:

(Original post by MJ84)
    the skill to hold a pen and write your name
    I can do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I can do that!
    congratulations you've just earned yourself ten gcse's. btw you lucky fool. so many more negs than me.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is arguably a very cynical approach, but the question you want to ask yourself is "What do I want to get out of doing GCSEs"

IMO, you don't need to understand everything. Since a lot of subjects (eg maths and sciences) is the application of a standard method to a question, and very little lateral thinking is involved.

If you view GCSEs as a quest for self improvement and for more knowledge, you may come out of it two years later a vastly more intelligent and knowledgeable person. But you might not get as good grades as some guy who just "played the game", read mark schemes, knows all the question types and has spent time studying the exam and how to get the most marks as opposed to just studying for the subject that's being examined.

(I'm not saying that you not bother trying to understand stuff and just memorise question types, since the ability to apply knowledge to an unknown situation or modified question type is useful, and there is defiantly significant overlap between being knowledgeable+intelligent and doing the exams well.

ReputationRep:
    Common sense and the will to spend hours every day working on coursework.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    memory and the abilty to make an educated guess.
    oh yeah and waffling and winging stuff, like I did for English apparently lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squid)
    Common sense and the will to spend hours every day working on coursework.
    I second this. Most of my GCSE grades came from doing well in coursework. It meant in one area of science i only needed to get about 7% on the actual exam paper for a C.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let peer pressure get to you.

ReputationRep:
    read chief examiner reports and know what they're looking 4 .. :P

ReputationRep:
    Get a bloody good textbook, ignore any stupid teachers you may have, and read the book. And then read it again, and possibly once more.
    Also, take advantage of your (good) teachers. If they say "hand in your first draft of coursework on X date", do it. Don't wait till the last draft, because you won't get the benefit of their experience otherwise.
    Basically, you'll want a bit of luck, a lot of exam technique, and possibly TSR (:

ReputationRep:
    The first key to GCSEs is.... thou shalt not be a troll.
    Unfortunately I feel you may struggle with this.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.