Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I wanted to do an EPQ on one of the planets/moons of the solar system, but not sure which one and what to research.
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Venus’s atmosphere and how the planet is basically identical to earth but for example winds are a lot stronger (400mph+) and research why that is?
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
That sounds highly interesting, the only issue was that I was going to try and tie it into biology/chemistry and that is where my brain starts to fail!
JBbetts123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Research Moons such as Europa and Enceladus. These are thought to harbour liquid oceans of water under their surfaces. If you want to include chemistry/ biology, you could investigate whether there is likely to be life in the oceans of those moons.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
yeah, I saw something about that, it did sound quite fascinating, the only thing about a space/planetary related project especially when it regards 'life' was the lack of sources and evidence
JBbetts123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
yeah, I saw something about that, it did sound quite fascinating, the only thing about a space/planetary related project especially when it regards 'life' was the lack of sources and evidence
That’s true, you could ask the question as to what the possibility of the moons containing life is, given the evidence of the oceans that could be on them. You could even link it back to hydrothermal vents within the oceans of Earth and include future missions to the moons. Just some ideas, I finished my EPQ this year on space/ astrophysics.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by JBbetts123)
That’s true, you could ask the question as to what the possibility of the moons containing life is, given the evidence of the oceans that could be on them. You could even link it back to hydrothermal vents within the oceans of Earth and include future missions to the moons. Just some ideas, I finished my EPQ this year on space/ astrophysics.
what did you do your EPQ on?
JBbetts123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
what did you do your EPQ on?
Black holes and gravitational waves.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Did you have an element of debate/ primary data?

Because I also did an EPQ in yr 9 on a topic about Germany c.1945-1989, and my supervisor said to me to get primary data to increase my marks (I was like this is highly unlikely, as:
A- I Don't know German
B- I don't know any German people, living in Germany between 1945-1989 who are still alive
JBbetts123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did you have an element of debate/ primary data?

Because I also did an EPQ in yr 9 on a topic about Germany c.1945-1989, and my supervisor said to me to get primary data to increase my marks (I was like this is highly unlikely, as:
A- I Don't know German
B- I don't know any German people, living in Germany between 1945-1989 who are still alive
Yeah that does seem highly unlikely, I didn’t use any primary data and mine didn’t have an element of debate, it was mainly based on theories and current knowledge of the topic I was researching.

In my experience I found that with a scientific EPQ, if you choose to research an area which has been backed up by many experiments and is a well established theory, a debate doesn’t work and so you don’t need primary data so much, although it can be included. However if you choose to research a scientific topic that has conflicting theories and ideas then having an element of debate is probably a good idea as you can show different points of view on the subject. In that case I’d say primary data would be good.

I hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads