Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not one to say I told you so... watch

But a friend of mine keeps asking for advice and he's taken his own this time and it's turned out sourly and he keeps saying to me "I wish I'd taken your advice now"

He's so stubborn with my advice so I feel it's a waste of my time for him to ASK ME FIRST for advice, then go ignore mine anyway. I know he doesn't HAVE to take my advice, but (and I don't mean to sound full of myself here) but the advice I give him usually is pretty good and reasonable, I think anyway.

I'm not one to say I told you so, as it's really not appropriate, with what has happened - but would I be in the wrong for saying "told you so"? (But I'm not going to)

Maybe I'M in the wrong, but when I advise him, I have good intentions and it just feels insulting that he just ignores it and does what he wants to do, regardless of what I try to advise.

Call me up on it if I'm just being stupid :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But a friend of mine keeps asking for advice and he's taken his own this time and it's turned out sourly and he keeps saying to me "I wish I'd taken your advice now"

He's so stubborn with my advice so I feel it's a waste of my time for him to ASK ME FIRST for advice, then go ignore mine anyway. I know he doesn't HAVE to take my advice, but (and I don't mean to sound full of myself here) but the advice I give him usually is pretty good and reasonable, I think anyway.

I'm not one to say I told you so, as it's really not appropriate, with what has happened - but would I be in the wrong for saying "told you so"? (But I'm not going to)

Maybe I'M in the wrong, but when I advise him, I have good intentions and it just feels insulting that he just ignores it and does what he wants to do, regardless of what I try to advise.

Call me up on it if I'm just being stupid :confused:
    I'm sorry, what exactly is it that you want advice on? All i got was how you weren't one to say "said so" and how your friend messed up and never takes advice. are you asking as what to do?

ReputationRep:
    If it really bothers you that he never takes your advice, then just tell him that next time he asks you for some.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the situation

if you told him not to drink and drive, and now he's had an accident and is paralysed for the rest of his life, then maybe lay off the told you so

ReputationRep:
    If your advice is that good, why are you asking for help on this forum... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend like this. Just say, "Dont bother asking me, because my advice goes amiss with you."

short and simple

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.