Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well i got an A when i was predicted A*, and had being getting A*'s throughout the year in mocks, test's etc. I really thought i'd get A*, but my stupidity and complete lack of revision caused me to only end up with an A. I want to go to imperial and do chemical engineering. Reckon it would affect my chances much, even though i'm taking both maths and further maths to A2, where i'm pretty likely to get good results, A's (or A*'s when they come in).

ReputationRep:
    Your gcses wont affect your uni entry that much! They wont be that bothered between A and A*!!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't common sense tell you that whatever you get for A Level makes redundant what you got for GCSE? Why do they care how you were doing in Maths at the age of 16 when you'll be so much better in the future?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    did you do the IGCSE. my school and another local school do that and lots of people got As rather than A*s when predicted the higher grade. but they all did say the exam was pretty easy so i expect grade boundaries might have shot up to 90%..
    Nah i did the linear higher GCSE, which i don't think is the IGCSE. Our teacher, however, did tell us that an A* would probably be at 90%. Just a bit annoyed tbh, as i think i should have acheived A* rather than an A. But it's my own fault, for not really revising. Just a bit more revision, than the bare miniumum i did, would have probs stopped me from dropping marks on shape and area questions :rolleyes:

Edit : I found the exam easy, and to be honest thought i'd easily got A*. But obviously not, just made stupid mistakes that if you gave me the exam the day after i probably wouldn't have made. O well, ****** happens i 'spose, just gonna knuckle down and get high AS and A2's now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Grade A at GCSE won't affect your chances of going to Imperial to study chemical engineering.

The Higher A/A* grade boundaries for the linear courses were in the mid 80s.

ReputationRep:
    I thought my AQA maths was incredibly easy too, predicted an easy A* but got the A instead..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer87)
    Your gcses wont affect your uni entry that much!
    Most Unis do base a lot of their offers on GCSE grades. In some cases, GCSE's have been proven to be more representative of a student's academic level than A levels.

OP: But yea, considering how well your GCSE's are, you haven't got anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    what unis would these be? link?
    why? don't you trust me?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused about the edexcel maths grade boundary seeing as so many got A*s. I got 91% and got an A. Same as the OP, I was expecting an A* but left disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Covenant Chris]Most Unis do base a lot of their offers on GCSE grades. In some cases, GCSE's have been proven to be more representative of a student's academic level than A levels.

I have been at uni for two years now and can confirm they didnt care at all about GCSEs, but then again I do go to a **** uni haha!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WithFlyingColours)
    I'm confused about the edexcel maths grade boundary seeing as so many got A*s. I got 91% and got an A. Same as the OP, I was expecting an A* but left disappointed.
    Why do you think you got 91%? Did you take linear or modular? Post your UMS marks if you know them.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you got 91%. Did you take linear or modular? Post your UMS marks if you know them.
    Linear 437/480.

Looking in deeper, it seems my coursework let me down as I got 87% in that.

ReputationRep:
    Linear 480/480
    REALLY easy exam; finished each paper in under 30 minutes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    With Flying Colours,

I think not.

87% on coursework = 104 UMS or 105 UMS.

Taking the lower result:

104 + 437 = 541 UMS = A*

Can you post the coursework UMS?

ReputationRep:
    here's my ums :

for coursework : 106/120
    and for the exams (i think) : 414/480.

Well think i didn't do that good in the exams tbh. My coursework was pretty aight. Arghhhh stupid exams putting stupid questions makes me make stupid mistakes. O well, so long as i dont do it at AS i spose
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Linear 480/480
    Actually I just read your spoilers. You are entitled to have a head as big as you like!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jooeee)
    here's my ums :

for coursework : 106/120
    and for the exams (i think) : 414/480.

Well think i didn't do that good in the exams tbh. My coursework was pretty aight. Arghhhh stupid exams putting stupid questions makes me make stupid mistakes. O well, so long as i dont do it at AS i spose
    Quite a high A. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Linear 480/480
    You seen the rest of your results :O. You go private school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Quite a high A. Well done.
    Just not quite high enough, for A* :P. Got my 4 A*'s in easy subjects, like science, add. science, r.e and business. and even though maths GCSE isn't really hard and i know A-level is a MASSIVE step up it's harder than r.e and business studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Congrats but don't let your head get too big. I did them in under 10 mins each (we were having a race at school!).

:p:
    Wow, are you in Year 11? Amazing! :eek:

Don't worry, any bigheadedness I might have had got washed out last year when I did Stats GCSE and got an A against all predictions

Stats is boring anyway :p:

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.