Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooeee)
    You seen the rest of your results :O. You go private school?
    :rolleyes: Hardly; just a comprehensive in South London (Graveney School). It's a science, maths and tech (especially IT) college.

Comprehensives rule!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ignoramus,

Lol I'm a maths teacher so its not a fair fight!

Congrats on your remarkable academic success so far - I'm very impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,
    Where do you teach?
    "academic success" I'm very flattered
    Do you like Statistics?

Edit: Mr M: WOOHOO someone else who hates Statistics!
    The Royal Statistical Society? *pulls face* Still, at least he's good.

ReputationRep:
    How could you not tell he was a teacher? I could the moment he first posted. And you get all those A*'s? LOL, revise much?

ReputationRep:
    How could you not tell he was a teacher? I could the moment he first posted. And you get all those A*'s? LOL, revise much?
    My AS Levels took up most of the time I had... :rolleyes:

I didn't revise Maths, French, English Language, Chem or Phys.
    I took Latin, Music and Stats early.

That leaves only six subjects that I revised for

But yes, it was a long hard slog.

And Mr M does not sound like a teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Mr M????? Nuff said. Yeh congrats on the results, you're realllly clever. I don't really think langagues can be revised for, and you took chemistry and physics AS lol. I'm pleased with mine though, to say i really didn't do much revision, and i actually thought i hadn't done enough! But when i got straight A's, i was sort of happy but at the same time disappointed with maths as it's my best subject. I'm pleased though, as much as you're probably pleased with yours. Good Luck with whatever you do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    And Mr M does not sound like a teacher!
    That may, or may not, be a compliment!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Congrats to you as well Jooeee. I'm not ignoring you, honest!

ReputationRep:
    Jooeee: Good luck to you too Maths GCSE doesn't mean anything if you're taking it at A Level.

Mr M: It wasn't supposed to be a compliment, but I suppose it is if the Maths teachers I know are anything to go by

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    just never heard it before. and i honestly dont think GCSE grades can show that a student is academically capable more than a-levels can....
    • You can't resit modules in GCSE (apart from Science)
    • There's a broader range of subjects at GCSE, showing someone's skills across all areas.
    • The A Level does not have an A* YET - so GCSEs show up the more capable candidates.
    • People revise less obsessively for GCSEs, so a student's true "intelligence" is easier to see (that last point was dodgy!)

ReputationRep:
    Don't agree with the 3rd point. Don't think they'll pay much attention to the A* at A2 as :

1)You can only get an A* at A2, and you only have your AS results by the time you're applying to unis.
    2) It will probably be around 90% mark, can't unis already see if you're around this mark? As opposed to someone who is at the 80% mark.
    3) Cambridge and Oxford have STEP examinations, i think , and their own tests at interview so they can better see the more capable candidates through these.

ReputationRep:
    In my maths exam i fought i was lucky to get an A star, because remeber Mr M i told you i left out like the last 3 questions in paper 3(non cal) . I left out like 10 marks i believe, for reasons that are too embarrassing to discuss. Here are my UMS marks:

106/120 Maths c/w
    445/480 in exam

Now going to study further maths, maths, chemistry, physics and either computing/biology
    Good luck to everyone going to Six Form/college next year!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ...bored)
    In my maths exam i fought i was lucky to get an A star, because remeber Mr M i told you i left out like the last 3 questions in paper 3(non cal) . I left out like 10 marks i believe, for reasons that are too embarrassing to discuss. Here are my UMS marks:

106/120 Maths c/w
    445/480 in exam

Now going to study further maths, maths, chemistry, physics and either computing/biology
    Good luck to everyone going to Six Form/college next year!
    I do remember. Well done. I'm pleased for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't agree with the 3rd point. Don't think they'll pay much attention to the A* at A2 as :

1)You can only get an A* at A2, and you only have your AS results by the time you're applying to unis.
    2) It will probably be around 90% mark, can't unis already see if you're around this mark? As opposed to someone who is at the 80% mark.
    3) Cambridge and Oxford have STEP examinations, i think , and their own tests at interview so they can better see the more capable candidates through these.
    2) You don't have to put your UMS down, not even for Oxford I think
    3) Yes, but STEP etc. test different skills supposedly not covered by the A Level papers don't they?

You're really right, Oxford have said already that they won't pay any attention to the A* grade, I'm just being picky :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    yes but less intelligent people can score insanely highly in GCSEs judged on memory and hard work - not natural intelligence. some of the most intelligent students at my school didnt score quite as highly as some of the keen and hard working students, who are not as intelligent at all....
    Same with A Levels; I found that there was more emphasis on learning only what was required for the exam at AS than at GCSE. In fact the only thing most people focus on is how to score just enough for their AAA offer or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    You said you went to Graveney School. Do you know someone by the name of Daniel. He's a white 16 year old, who also just finished his #GCSEs. He went to my primary school(Rockmouont in Crystal Palace) and he was extremely intelligent. Wondered if you know him by any chance

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Davis? If so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...bored)
    You said you went to Graveney School. Do you know someone by the name of Daniel. He's a white 16 year old, who also just finished his #GCSEs. He went to my primary school(Rockmouont in Crystal Palace) and he was extremely intelligent. Wondered if you know him by any chance
    Daniel Davis? If so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I got 589/600 in maths, i.e. i got an A. No A* available here. :-(

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Davis Yes thats him. I havent spoken to him in donks. Hows he doing? Is he still really arrogant and cocky.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.